Fast-food ad ban could cut child obesity: U.S. study

Yes, I agree most of your posts that ban fast food ads on TV doesn't solve anything. It's parents' responsiblity to expose their children what good or bad nutrient...

yea.... hard to do that when kids are being constantly bombarded by it.

We still have Fast Food ads on TV here but we are not interesting but just *nodding*... My both boys are not interesting to go McDonald or King Burger because we don't go there often... most is go to Italian, Greek or German resturant... My boys' last visit to King Burger was last January 2008. Very rare...
wait until they're 18 years old and living on their own at college. you'd be surprised. During my semester - I was Domino's Customer of the Month :cool2:

I agree.

Parents and kids will still see the restaurants when they drive by those places. It's also in the food courts at the malls... and newspapers... and magazines... and mail... and emails... everywhere!

So, banning them from television isn't going to help.

It's the parents' responsibility to feed their children properly. Don't go blaming the commercials. :roll:

a 99 cent jack-in-the-box jr bacon cheeseburger *could* be considered a drug -- especially to those who are "junk food junkies."

obsession about eating junk food all of the time could also be considered an addiction.

Cigarettes were not looked at then like they are looked at today either. The view toward them has totally changed so I'm sure it was a big surprise then when they banned commercials for cigarettes.

a 99 cent jack-in-the-box jr bacon cheeseburger *could* be considered a drug -- especially to those who are "junk food junkies."

obsession about eating junk food all of the time could also be considered an addiction.

I would say that's true only if someone has an eating disorder, but if they do, having access to junk food wouldn't be a pretty picture.

Ban on cigarette ads in 70's don't stop smokers to quit the smoking.

There's still cigarette ads in magazine like Playboy.

More regulations? Heck no!

ITs the parents- not the advertising thats failing the kids.

many million parents always right for kids need eat less and not too much fast food im sure kids can eat fruit,vegetable and lots of mores.

parents always watch kids eat more vegetables lots and no more second food but can second vegetables limit.

my younger cousin Abby and Bud can eat at home and eat fast food too much because of overweight for both and their mom says need eat less and no second cakes for both PEROID just once cakes but can eat fruit that ok.

i know kids loves mcdonalds lots but need eat less at home not everyday for going mcdonalds just once days or whatevers days depends parents chose fast food not favorite fast food.

We all want personal responsiblity but companies ALSO have personal responsiblitiy to their consumers too.

With that logic of "personal responsibilty" resting on individuals, it's like saying, "We should let drug companies advertise meth (contrary to popular belief, meth is STILL legal for prescription) and tobacco companies advertise nicotine in any media format - after all it's STILL an individual responsiblity!" Get real. It takes two to tango!

Or like the old days where people had an option to wear seat belts... and we made a law to make everyone wear it. Personal responsiblity does not matter at all because it is determined that it's in our public interest to enforce that law. And as a result of that law, we saved thousands of lives a year.

Agree but it would make parents' life easier if there's no ads that encourage kids to eat unhealthy food.

Not necessarily. Kids are ruled by peer pressure. Even if you ban advertising, the kids are still going to want to do what other kids are doing.

Some HS schools allow kids to go off campus for lunch. If old enough to drive, alot of kids will hop in their cars and go on over to the nearest fast food joint to have lunch. This is really a no-win situation. You can ban the advertising, but kids are still going to be saturated by what they see and hear. This is why I think it should remain the parents responsiblity to teach their kids healthy eating habits.

Last edited:
yea.... hard to do that when kids are being constantly bombarded by it.

wait until they're 18 years old and living on their own at college. you'd be surprised. During my semester - I was Domino's Customer of the Month :cool2:

They used to like McDonald or King Burger when they were young... not very often... until they lost interesting in their taste on McDonald and King Burger...

My oldest son is Pizza king... :giggle: but my both boys are doner kebab lover like me and my hubby...

Well, Pizza, doner kebab, bratwurst with roll, leberkase roll and fishes rolls are common as fast resturant here in Germany than McDonald and King Burger... :dunno2: I know my oldest son would go for Pizza during lunch time sometimes...

When I was in USA and saw toooooo mannnyyyyyy different name of burger fast resturants, not just McDonald and King Burger here in Germany... :shock: It´s hard for me to get salad sandwiches there.

Not necessarily. Kids are ruled by peer pressure. Even if you ban advertising, the kids are still going to want to do what other kids are doing.

Some HS schools allow kids to go off campus for lunch. If old enough to drive, alot of kids will hop in their cars and go on over to the nearest fast food joint to have lunch. This is really a no-win situation. You can ban the advertising, but kids are still going to be saturated by what they see and hear. This is why I think it should remain the parents responsiblity to teach their kids healthy eating habits.

Then school should banning students to go off campus. I know that it doesn't happen at deaf residental school but dunno about other public/mainstream school. I think it's bit strange that students under 18 are being allowed to go off campus without supervisor anyway.

Then school should banning students to go off campus. I know that it doesn't happen at deaf residental school but dunno about other public/mainstream school. I think it's bit strange that students under 18 are being allowed to go off campus without supervisor anyway.

Alot of schools have. I know, though, that there are some schools that allow the upperclassmen to go off campus for lunch. I'm talking 16-18 yrs olds. I think that once you're that age, you can begin to make decisions for yourself. I don't support a ban on advertising.

They used to like McDonald or King Burger when they were young... not very often... until they lost interesting in their taste on McDonald and King Burger...

My oldest son is Pizza king... :giggle: but my both boys are doner kebab lover like me and my hubby...

Well, Pizza, doner kebab, bratwurst with roll, leberkase roll and fishes rolls are common as fast resturant here in Germany than McDonald and King Burger... :dunno2: I know my oldest son would go for Pizza during lunch time sometimes...

When I was in USA and saw toooooo mannnyyyyyy different name of burger fast resturants, not just McDonald and King Burger here in Germany... :shock: It´s hard for me to get salad sandwiches there.

Yes, i agree with you. Here do have plenty Fast Food TACO BELL, MC DONALD, BURGER KING, JACK IN BOX, DECO TACOS... I know, why it does too many here?
many PPL have 2 jobs, also don't have time for themselves cook at home. that is why, fast get a Foods and eat.

for me HAMBURGER :barf: .... Because it taste not very good. I prefer make myself
beef ground, mustard, onion, pepper, salt and one egg knead, then on pan. *yummy*

One thing i wish that the Government would do is to CHANGE the way they regulate the nutrition labeling so it would be easier for peoples like parents to understand what food is bad and what is better. Maybe if we had better labels like in europe where they list how much nutrition is there in 1 oz, we could have a much easier time teaching kids how to eat properly. look at some of the serving size portion on some of the american foods, no wonder why we have soo many obese peoples. for example, a 20 oz. bottle of soda is considered 2.5 servings! even 1 serving of soda have enough calories for most of the day even if you didn't eat anything else with the 20oz bottle of soda...

If we could have that 1 oz nutritional info, then we can realllly compare how much sugar that jug of "juice" have to some natural orange juice and stuffs. it can help us all choose the better foods and drinks.

I agree that the parents are responsible for their kids but the way the food companies labels and portions their food are at fault too since they are the one who is confusing the hell out of all of us. Most parents i know that want to get better health for their kids have no idea how to get the right food cause of that bad nutritional labeling and portioning info. Hell, I'M having the same problem trying to lose weight to join a wrestling team.

I know that my post is not about fast food but that is my opinion on how peoples have such a hard time trying to lose weight and get in better health. maybe by doing the better info/education, we can teach kids better eating habit and have them avoid the fast foods.

If they shouldn't be allowed to go off-campus for lunch, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive at all... period.

Back