'Extreme Makeover' project gets green carpet treatment

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
'Extreme Makeover' project gets green carpet treatment | statesmanjournal.com | Statesman Journal

Volunteers unfurled rolls of green sod in front of the nearly finished dorms at the Oregon School for the Deaf today in the final days of production for “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.”

Within 15 minutes a carpet of tall fescue blanketed about 100,000 square feet. Maple trees, fountain grasses and mums filled the beds around the dormitories. Typically the work would take six to eight weeks, said Gary Bean, owner of All Service Landscape Co.

Today it took 12 hours.

Several local nurseries and landscaping companies, including DeSantis Landscapes, Green Acres Landscape and Bean’s Nursery, donated time and plants. For Gary Bean, it was an obvious fit. His son Jason graduated from the Oregon School for the Deaf in 1991 before going to work in the family nursery. Both father and son donated time and about $10,000 worth of maple trees, ornamental grass and ground cover.

“Giving back to the deaf school is quite an honor,” Gary Bean said.
Walker Leiser with DeSantis Landscapes also has a personal connection to the project — both of his daughters were born deaf, and while they don’t attend the school, he still feels connected to the small community. His wife runs “Hands and Voices,” a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping families with children who are deaf or hard of hearing.

But even those who didn’t have a personal tie to the project rolled up their sleeves and got their hands dirty Saturday.

Deleen Wills, alumni director for Corban College, organized a group of 23 from the college to volunteer.

“We are having a ball,” she said.

University student Kimberly Schwartz sorted stuff in the basement of the Nightmare Factory, planted sod and took food and drinks to contractors.
“I’ve never done anything like this before,” she said.

“It pushes you to work hard and learn about something that was hidden in Salem and no one really knew about,” she said about the Oregon School for the Deaf.

For landscape architect James T. Sahlstrom it was an answer to a prayer.
“We haven’t had any work for a year,” he said. “Last month I said lord I am so bored. I need something to do.”

“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” gave Sahlstrom more than enough to keep him busy, to which he answered “praise the lord.”

The show was very nice. I thought they did a great job with both the boys dorms and the Haunted House/FrightFest.

Wirelessly posted

Yesterday, I watched it and here's my whole opinion here. I'll go with the positive view first.

Pos
I'm so glad that they actually showed how they cared for OSD. They did try everything to keep OSD opening. I truly appreciate for their work on haunted house and boy dorm. I'm impressive how improvement the boy dorm is. No more prison-like dorm! ;) I did go to visit that haunted house yesterday, and I wow'ed by various styles, creative, and everything looked so awesome! Hey, that is my opinion.

Personally, I don't see anything is sexist in that show. They focused on the boy dorm, so that is why there were more boys than girls. I actually saw a few female students but it was only briefly moment. Unless I may miss something.

They can only fit so much in an one hour episode for that show... It's a home renovation show because it's go to be focused primarily on that -- not the cultures of the deaf. That is why you see a little exposure on Deaf Culture. But it don't bother me a bit because they did show ASL, relay, Sorenson, videophone (VP), and hearing aids (HAs). Because you have to realize there are more tv shows tend to show CIs the most of time. There is a little to no mention of hearing aids in those tv shows. But I'm so glad that they showed hearing aids instead of CIs. Oh, finally! Seriously... In here, I see so many many many kids with and toddlers with CIs. I hardly see anybody who have HAs! To be honest, I'm so sick of CIs being superior to HAs. Honestly...

On the another hand, they showed the relay and Sorenson to hearing people may never heard of. I think it is so great to show people. They need to know about those! Yes, I know the show made OSD staffs and OSD students sound like they never heard of videophone and stuff while we, Oregonians, know already. I don't know why they did it to them. Well, that's just TV show for you. =/

Now I'm start with negative view.

Con
Well, there are actually a few lies in that show. Those lies disappointed me. While the boy talked to his parents on the VP, I know the guy's parents are not hearing. They're Deaf! I don't know why the show made their parents look 'hearing parents'. I mean, what?

I feel the show's approach on Deaf culture is very biased because they focused mainly on the medical perspective of deafness instead of the subculture itself. Be noted, I am not against hearing aids at all. I find them quite benefit for some people with loss of hearing, yes. But I don't like how they approached the idea of giving out hearing aids to deaf people that bothered me a bit. It made look all or most deaf/hoh people get HAs as if they need it or be saved from being "isolated." In reality, some got HAs and used it everyday, some got HAs but later/soon they lost an interest in using their HAs, and some got them and tried it but they didn't like it, and so on. That's reality.

While I know they included some significant aspects of our culture, really, what made me feel sad a bit because it is that how delightful they all appeared when a Deaf student heard something with HAs... like, "Oh my gosh! I'm cured or fixed!" -- or something. Well, at the least, the show did mention students with loss of hearing will need to trained with their HAs for their listening and speaking skills. Clearly, they somewhat showed HAs are not "cure" or fixable for their 'broken' ears. Which made me feel relief a bit. But still...I just wish they showed a little about some D/deaf/HOH people is doing so fine without CIs or HAs.With or without HAs or CIs, you're still Deaf, deaf, or hard of hearing. Not fully hearing.

That is why I feel mix-up feeling on that show. Oh well... Overall, I thought it is good show. :)

The underlying message I took away from the show was a convergence, or rather, a conflict of the medical vs the cultural....of deafness. And Matlin made me gag!

If you missed to watch last night s Extreme Makeover Home Edition on ABC TV, you can watch it on Hulu.com online.

Hulu - Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: Oregon School for the Deaf - Watch the full episode now.

I had watched it last night. This show was awesome.

See OSD's Nightmare Factory vlog.
iDeafNews
I didn't watch from hulu due to restrictions to U.S viewers only, however I managed to download one from my vuze program, I just finished watching about 2 minutes ago from my iPhone4. The show was great.

I didn't watch from hulu due to restrictions to U.S viewers only, however I managed to download one from my vuze program, I just finished watching about 2 minutes ago from my iPhone4. The show was great.

Good! This program with closed captioning?

Because you have to realize there are more tv shows tend to show CIs the most of time. There is a little to no mention of hearing aids in those tv shows. But I'm so glad that they showed hearing aids instead of CIs. Oh, finally! Seriously... In here, I see so many many many kids with and toddlers with CIs. I hardly see anybody who have HAs! To be honest, I'm so sick of CIs being superior to HAs.
Good point Karissa! Even with CI, there are still deaf kids who can benifit from HA (even to being able to hear at HOH levels)

I agree... too much was made about the "hearing for the first time" bit. I'm not going to complain too much about the Starkey promotion, as Extreme Makeover is ALL about the product placement & sponsor promotion (Sears, the lumber companies, the cabinet companies, the tile companies, etc).

I live about an hour away from OSD, and went to the haunted house last weekend - it was wonderful! I really enjoyed myself (so did my husband), and we'll be going back next year.

I'm extremely disappointed in Oregon's Superintendent of Public Schools... as that shiny brand new dorm is sitting unused (or at least that's what my CODA ASL teacher heard from her mom - who is deaf and lives in Salem, OR). Hopefully after election day tomorrow there will be a new Superintendent who will have a better attitude towards our School for the Deaf.

I'm grateful for the promotion that has brought increased awareness for OSD, and increased attendance to OSD's haunted house fundraiser. As the TV show last night said, around 9,000 people went to the Haunted House last year vs 30,000+ this year - that's a HUGE increase of fundraising revenue for them (tickets are $10 each)!

I'm glad the kids got free hearing aids instead of shabby old hearing aids . I'm sure it is a far better technology than what they had before . But yeah, I didn't care about the "I can hear for the first time!" promotion

Love what they did for the dorm and the haunted school!

no, but I can understand what the show is all about.

You may watch some YouTube vlog from Deafvideo.TV to seem CC on someone s TV set.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5rbP1oXGA]YouTube - HEY OREGON SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF YAY (2).AVI[/ame]

Good! This program with closed captioning?

click "CC" on Hulu. It's available in closed captioning too.

Too bad JClarke is unable to watch it in captioning, hopefully there will be a transcript somewhere.

click "CC" on Hulu. It's available in closed captioning too.

But that s for JClarke. He can't watch any programs on Hulu.com online because he lives outside of USA.

I told him that should get hotspot shield and different proxy and can watch it but he can't do it with parents' router

Back