Expierence in CAT scan for CI?

MilitaryGirl83

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going in for an CAT scan for my CI appointment.. I need to know this so I can expect and not feel so nervous. Tell me all your expierences about being in CAT scan.. :ty: :)

All you gotta do is just pretend you're an ice and freeze still until they're done scanning you. Just close your eyes and dream of sounds! Have fun!

Just lay there and watch the red light flash across, it's not bad at all. They didn't use the dye on me so my ct scan lasted for 2 minutes. Nothing to it at all........

CAT scans are NOTHING compared to MRIs.....*shudders* I hate, hate, hate MRIs!

I've had both a CAT scan and an MRI scan. The CAT scan was shorter and I didn't have to go all the way inside the big machine. The CAT was only 5 minutes and the MRI was 20 minutes long. With both scans you lie down flat, the bed is slid into a tomblike machine which takes photos of your head. There is a lot of whirring sounds - even with my profound hearing loss I could feel it.

Take off all your jewellery and hair pins/scrunchies beforehand.

You basically have to lie there and it's quite boring actually. Just close your eyes and imagine yourself on a desert island beach swaying on a hammock! :)

:rofl: Can I sleep in there for a bit like cat nap? :whistle:

R2D2 said:
I've had both a CAT scan and an MRI scan. The CAT scan was shorter and I didn't have to go all the way inside the big machine. The CAT was only 5 minutes and the MRI was 20 minutes long. With both scans you lie down flat, the bed is slid into a tomblike machine which takes photos of your head. There is a lot of whirring sounds - even with my profound hearing loss I could feel it.

Take off all your jewellery and hair pins/scrunchies beforehand.

You basically have to lie there and it's quite boring actually. Just close your eyes and imagine yourself on a desert island beach swaying on a hammock! :)

I am claustrophia of MRI and CAT. So, I've never experienced one myself.

FelixKat930 said:
:rofl: Can I sleep in there for a bit like cat nap? :whistle:

:) It would have to be a power nap though. My CAT scan only lasted for 5 minutes. I was almost disappointed!

R2D2 said:
:) It would have to be a power nap though. My CAT scan only lasted for 5 minutes. I was almost disappointed!

Yep mine was about 5 mins too- quick and easy!

I had took MRI in 2003 due head injury, from accident when skateboard then hit on block wall, my head feels like shake and dizzy... My mom took me to doctor and he said that I should take MRI because of head injury, I just feel nervous about CI will be stuck out and moving as rip off. When I got in MRI then it's painful and CI is moving into wrong place, around little out of targeted then doctor found nothing to wrong and they give me an medicine to cure the head injury. If after MRI then CI will not work properly but I can careless, CI sucks.

a bit of info about MRI- they have now open type for those with claustrophobia.

Fuzzy

As others have already said, a CAT scan is a piece of cake. Nothing to it. Been there done that.

I never had a MRI and I have heard that it was definitely nerve wracking.

TrippLA said:
I had took MRI in 2003 due head injury, from accident when skateboard then hit on block wall, my head feels like shake and dizzy... My mom took me to doctor and he said that I should take MRI because of head injury, I just feel nervous about CI will be stuck out and moving as rip off. When I got in MRI then it's painful and CI is moving into wrong place, around little out of targeted then doctor found nothing to wrong and they give me an medicine to cure the head injury. If after MRI then CI will not work properly but I can careless, CI sucks.

What I don't understand, is why they didn't account for the fact that you had a CI? You are not supposed to get an MRI with a CI unless they remove the magnet. This doesn't mean they remove the whole implant just the magnet itself. Maybe I should ask if your magnet was removed? Of course, I have no idea with older CIs if that was possible.

I do know with my CI that I can get a MRI up to I think 1.5 Tesla after removing the magnet.

A FYI for all CI folks, it behooves you to get a wrist bracelet or necklace that indicate you have a CI in case of emergency especially if you are unconscious. I got a necklace for myself.

sr171soars said:
What I don't understand, is why they didn't account for the fact that you had a CI? You are not supposed to get an MRI with a CI unless they remove the magnet. This doesn't mean they remove the whole implant just the magnet itself. Maybe I should ask if your magnet was removed? Of course, I have no idea with older CIs if that was possible.

I do know with my CI that I can get a MRI up to I think 1.5 Tesla after removing the magnet.

A FYI for all CI folks, it behooves you to get a wrist bracelet or necklace that indicate you have a CI in case of emergency especially if you are unconscious. I got a necklace for myself.

Yea, if anyone who got implanted so it still required to use MRI if anyone get head injuries from car accident, other accident with objects or fall down then hit on head and other but not need removes magnet, it would not pull so hardly but just moving around head that where CI was targeted like round so closer. I had accept that CI works failed after MRI and I don't want get re-implant, just leave old one until die because I don't wear anymore. I just nothing to know about oral speech or not hear so great.

It's don't required to remove unless tolerate with pain in MRI, or accept to works failed, mostly for anti-CI users. It's your decide to remove the magnet but I don't want surgery to remove it before enters MRI.

Er...OW! That must of hurt!

Now, I understand why your implant is "messed" up. I didn't recall that from other threads. But you are right, that is one way to disable it... :eek2:

Trippla - that explains a lot. I must have missed the part about an MRI messing up your implant before.

I understand that these days the magnet can be removed by a quick incision before the MRI is done. Which reminds me I better go and get one of those alert bracelets.

When first time, I was scare at MRI because MRI look like buried!! My eye closed and worship song to Jesus Christ. I not believe that felt a min done! It was 4 hrs. Thank Lord! No different MRI and CAT! CAT is not hurt you.

Back