Exciting new on ALEX!!!

Amy&Alex

Reaction score
Alex is my son who was born profoundly deaf, started teaching ASL from 6 months, implanted at age 3 (HATED), asl primary language...he is 14. He has been to a deaf school when younger but due to disiplinary prblms, he was not able to continue..so we mainstreamed. He is NOW finally in the right school that has really been super supportive and just genuinely cared...The school had chosen Alex to be featured in our newspaper...just to tell how well he is doing, how he has taught soooo many, staff and peers aliike sign, and is thriving.
Now, I joined this a week ago and had some worries about how he was REALLY fitting in socially..I mean he is profoundly deaf, is not oral, well except for sounds..and is in a completely hearing environment...I had gotten lots of great feedback; encouraging and heart breaking...but much needed!
Today I had sent an email to his teacher of dhoh...she works with him daily along wiht his interpreter...she sent this...

I would like to address his social behaviors with you. He desires to fit in with his peers and does so very well. The friends he met through football was just a springboard into additional relationships he has developed. He is noticing the girls and the girls are noticing him. Very typical of 14 year olds! J I believe the fact that he has seen the other student with a cochlear implant interact with peers that he sees that it may be beneficial for him, too. Is he an outcast? Not at all. During passing periods, he interacts with adults as well as peers!

The reporter just called and I told him how we made sign books with about 120 new signs for his football teammates, and was trying to get these or some type of ASL books in all the school librarys...possibly starting an ASL club at HS, or offering it as a language!!!

This will be great for our community...I am just so proud, and will continue to encourage what HE wants to do as far as communicating. We will remap the CI and see how hard he wants to work...wish us luck

Just had to share:wave:

Burns School started an ASL club this year, the interpreter teaching as well as many of us would like to see it go on to be an elective language like Spanish or French. Problem with it now, being a club some of the hearies do not take it seriously if it were a graded class I believe that would be different.
I am happy Alex is progressing and this school is making an effort.

Hi,
I am so glad to hear it! I was actually wondering about your son after the last post I read. :D

That's awesom:) Glad that he has a good team of people helping him at school. And maybe this other deaf girl can help him with the CI. Getting to know more about it and practicing? Don't know when she was implanted..but if it was later maybe she could help him out with listening with the CI and words and stuff? Just a thought...lol

Wow! That's good! Maybe start an ASL club......Heck, maybe a good idea might be to ask Alex's TOD about maybe getting other dhh inclusive kids together, as a club or an afterschool group.

yeah besides I'm joining an ASL club at my school (gonna learn since my right dropped in November last year lol)

yeah besides I'm joining an ASL club at my school (gonna learn since my right dropped in November last year lol)

Safarigirl, you could get it in your IEP that you get ASL instruction. Maybe you could go to deaf camp or something........They have a program at Gally for dhh teens new to signing....You should look into it! Immerse into ASL! - Gallaudet University

Alex is my son who was born profoundly deaf, started teaching ASL from 6 months, implanted at age 3 (HATED), asl primary language...he is 14. He has been to a deaf school when younger but due to disiplinary prblms, he was not able to continue..so we mainstreamed. He is NOW finally in the right school that has really been super supportive and just genuinely cared...The school had chosen Alex to be featured in our newspaper...just to tell how well he is doing, how he has taught soooo many, staff and peers aliike sign, and is thriving.
Now, I joined this a week ago and had some worries about how he was REALLY fitting in socially..I mean he is profoundly deaf, is not oral, well except for sounds..and is in a completely hearing environment...I had gotten lots of great feedback; encouraging and heart breaking...but much needed!
Today I had sent an email to his teacher of dhoh...she works with him daily along wiht his interpreter...she sent this...

I would like to address his social behaviors with you. He desires to fit in with his peers and does so very well. The friends he met through football was just a springboard into additional relationships he has developed. He is noticing the girls and the girls are noticing him. Very typical of 14 year olds! J I believe the fact that he has seen the other student with a cochlear implant interact with peers that he sees that it may be beneficial for him, too. Is he an outcast? Not at all. During passing periods, he interacts with adults as well as peers!

The reporter just called and I told him how we made sign books with about 120 new signs for his football teammates, and was trying to get these or some type of ASL books in all the school librarys...possibly starting an ASL club at HS, or offering it as a language!!!

This will be great for our community...I am just so proud, and will continue to encourage what HE wants to do as far as communicating. We will remap the CI and see how hard he wants to work...wish us luck

Just had to share:wave:

oh, sounds wonderful.

Umm, football? What if someone hit him in the head or got hit by ball?

Oh. Idiot me, I was thinking soccer, not American football... Never been fan of the American one.

I guess he's still safe in that helmet, though... I think.

There is certain risks associated with CI implanted individuals- playing sports, that is.

Just so you know, although you might have already known.

That's exciting for him. What are they featuring him for, exactly? Do they feature students each month?

Back