English... UGH!

I think he means a real BI/BI where people end up knowing both languages properly.

Think he might also be advocating deaf educators for deaf students.
ah.. thanks

They always ask me why I cant use "is" when using "You" as the subject in a sentence since "you" can be used as a singular pronoun.. How can I explain that?

Just explain that in English, the second-person pronoun always conjugates the verb "to be" as "are" whether singular or plural. :cool2:

And if they think that is somewhat crazy, try to explain to them the German word "sie", especially if it's the first word in a sentence and therefore needs to capitalized. The German word "sie" means "she", "her", "they", and if capitalized it is the formal form of the word "you" and is both singular and plural. So if a sentence starts as "Sie sind", it could mean either "They are" or "You are".

ASL on paper??? :confused: To my understanding ASL has no written form except for signwriting.

There is a system that has been developed by Dr. Sam Supalla, Dr. Jodi Cripps, Dr. Laura Blackburn, and a few other people that is an effective gloss system so that Deaf people can read and understand English. It gets rid of phonics and focuses on the visual.

I'm actually not very familiar with signwriting, but the glossing system I'm thinking about also has symbols. However, once the symbols are learned then reading is a piece of cake. It's not widely distributed yet. It has been taught to a small amount of children who were able to use it to read at an equivalent grade level.

So far, this is the only publicly available site for the system (that I know about):
ASL Dictionary Prototype

This system only works for ASL <=> English though.

There is a system that has been developed by Dr. Sam Supalla, Dr. Jodi Cripps, Dr. Laura Blackburn, and a few other people that is an effective gloss system so that Deaf people can read and understand English. It gets rid of phonics and focuses on the visual.

I'm actually not very familiar with signwriting, but the glossing system I'm thinking about also has symbols. However, once the symbols are learned then reading is a piece of cake. It's not widely distributed yet. It has been taught to a small amount of children who were able to use it to read at an equivalent grade level.

So far, this is the only publicly available site for the system (that I know about):
ASL Dictionary Prototype

This system only works for ASL <=> English though.
Thanks for that info. I will check it out. If you want to know more about signwriting just click here.

ASL on paper??? :confused: To my understanding ASL has no written form except for signwriting.

you can write in ASL. Example -

English: How are you?
ASL: How you?

English: Where do you live?
ASL: Live you where? or You live where?

lot of deafies can read and so can foreigners but point is - we all understand English differently so we write it to the way we know it except it's in English.

English: You are not here.
Chinese: You no here.

Does it help, RD, that the saving grace here in your examples are that the two words are pronounced differently? I didn't check them all but the few I did all were pronounced differently.

i had to admit it,

my english grammar sometimes sucks (in fact I had ADHD). at least i can always try my best. :D

Back