English in deaf schools

While I can see parents should get involved in their child's education. But they should first educate themselves then will be position to help their kids. Their learning sign language will be a great asset to their their children. My parents were important part of my early years education and i must say i even learn to read and write before i started nursery school.
We are also encouraging wide reading.
It will also be excellent if a great many of us become teachers to our deaf brethren otherwise we arent doing any good blaming the teachers.
Perhaps the teachers arent being paid well so they are poorly motivated to teach the kids. While what are we gonna do?

I am so in agreement with you. Watching that parade is why I decided to return to school after my son was raised. It one way I can see of putting myself in the position to try and make a difference.

I think you have already made a difference. Beginning with your son, then the next child whose path crosses yours, and then the next one and so on. The journey itself is the destination. I wish you all the best.

Do you think that deaf schools are teaching English properly ?
Would that mean also oral deaf schools?
I think that the problems are very complex, there's not really one main reason why dhh kids' English is all that great.
I really think that automatic mainstreaming really hurt us. B/c of that we were placed with teachers who really didn't know how to teach us. What I really think should be the law for virtually ALL dhh kids is a split placement,(between deaf schools/programs and hearing schools) at least up til first grade. Many of us didn't have the foundation of teaching by teachers who really knew how to teach.
Oh and jillo that is hard to believe. So it only matters how well a dhh kid goes "boo be bah?".........their grammar and syntax don't count?
Oh and I agree...........MANY hearing kids have horrible writing abilty. Several of my friends are college teachers and they can't believe how badly some kids write. (and these kids aren't LD at ALL)
I can understand, since public schools are really targeted towards the average learner.

I think you have already made a difference. Beginning with your son, then the next child whose path crosses yours, and then the next one and so on. The journey itself is the destination. I wish you all the best.

:ty: Why thank you, defmusicman. I try.

I'm not a English instructor. Reading is extremely important. We need to to be encouraged to read the books continually. We need to be encouraged to check a dictionary and a thesaurus if we do not know what the word is. I've met some hearing people who are not familiar with words such as 'alleviate'. Hearing people need to be encouraged to read as well. Some hearing people I know don't like to read. They choose to listen to audio books and magazines over reading the books. :) I think it is great to develop listening skills, but some people have struggled to write vocabularies and didn't know what the words look like. I also think the internet is one of the great tools for deaf people to develop writing and reading skills. If you think your grammar skills are improved doesn't mean you are done with books. Learning can last a lifetime.

You have hit the nail by the hammer. Yep, learning last a lifetime. As for me being a 61 years old and I still have a lot to learn and I love it. I try to improve my English on the internet whether on blog or like in alldeaf forum. I also go to community college on the island here and I tried to improve my English but it was not that hard once you know how to find where to put the right vocabularies in the sentences. As for higher education like four year college that will take some work on improving but we are not perfect anyway. Right?

You have hit the nail by the hammer. Yep, learning last a lifetime. As for me being a 61 years old and I still have a lot to learn and I love it. I try to improve my English on the internet whether on blog or like in alldeaf forum. I also go to community college on the island here and I tried to improve my English but it was not that hard once you know how to find where to put the right vocabularies in the sentences. As for higher education like four year college that will take some work on improving but we are not perfect anyway. Right?

You passed your grammar exam. :eek3:

Oh, how I love the English grammar and linguistics! Seriously, I do.

Just my opinion, but I feel that if both the schools and the parents give the child's skills a boost, then he/she would have no problem.

:gpost::gpost: And so many parents that have their children mainstreamed in an oral environment allow it to be written intot he IEP that grammar and syntax errors in their writing will not be held against them. That is so wrong. It does nothing to improve the childs comprehension of and use of language. Then they turn around and blame the school for not teaching their child properly, when they are the one's that gave the teacher permission to ignore and not attend to their child's deficits.

This is so wrong. We should not allow this to happened. It does the deaf kids NO favors. The kids should develop good habits, not bad habits that later teachers have to correct.

I'm not a English instructor. Reading is extremely important. We need to to be encouraged to read the books continually. We need to be encouraged to check a dictionary and a thesaurus if we do not know what the word is. I've met some hearing people who are not familiar with words such as 'alleviate'. Hearing people need to be encouraged to read as well. Some hearing people I know don't like to read. They choose to listen to audio books and magazines over reading the books. :) I think it is great to develop listening skills, but some people have struggled to write vocabularies and didn't know what the words look like. I also think the internet is one of the great tools for deaf people to develop writing and reading skills. If you think your grammar skills are improved doesn't mean you are done with books. Learning can last a lifetime.

You took the words right out of my mouth!! Thank God for the internet as it is the best thing since sliced bread!! I am a bookworm.

I cannot believe that George Bush signed the law "Leave Children Behind." Not many students are able to read and write because of their health reason. This will ruin their life if they apply for a job or college because of this law, and their poor grade reports.

President Bush signed the "Leave NO child behind".

For older kids and teenagers (even adults), I strongly recommend them to study a foreign book for a beginner at home - i.e. as Germany, France, and Italy. This will definitely help them to understand how the grammar works.

My high school required students to take Latin as it does improve one's English. One has to move words around as one translates it.

President Bush signed the "Leave NO child behind".

Yes, you are right. My post was expired in 30 minutes that I wanted to fix that problem. I'm glad that you caught my error. You got good eyes.

My high school required students to take Latin as it does improve one's English. One has to move words around as one translates it.

My deaf friend took that class to improve his grammar. His English grammar is very good and even better than mine. Sigh. I believe that Latin is hard to learn.

My deaf friend took that class to improve his grammar. His English grammar is very good and even better than mine. Sigh. I believe that Latin is hard to learn.

Latin is a very difficult language to learn.

Isn't it a dead or archaic language ? :confused:

No. It is still taught in some schools. Vampires speak Latin. Some people from graveyards also speak Latin so we have to deal with them if we go out at nights. It is a good thing that we can use ASL to defense ourselves against them.

I understand being basic on blame to public school or the deaf school. Most the public school I went seven to public school and two to deaf school in my life time. I do see the public school do care and some are like "so what".

The public school that I like about being passed into high school. We, the deaf student, had to passed the history of Deaf Culture which is surprise because other middle school doesn't teach the deaf student. Sometime, the writing is not the big deal issue even the reading.

It not base on public school or the deaf school. It base on program educate; for example, one deaf school called group 1, 2, 3, or 4. The 4 was the lowest ability to read. Its pretty harsh when the deaf student learn what group 4 mean to them. I had roommate who was group 3 such as 1st or 2nd grades level in any field. My roommate got upset and learned about roommate's education background. I do give roommate an help to read and able to learn on own. Even I told roommate to talk teacher about that group numbers. Other school deaf don't have that program as group number just regular as public school. It just interesting and should blame that deaf school with group numbers. Only group 1 are the few students while the remain are large number which I was one of group 1.

About the public school; I know one deaf student graduated without reading or do the math even the writing. I do blame that public school but my understanding the public school use up fund for football instead interpreter or hiring better teacher for deaf student to success.

If we are "SHOCK" out the face, they probably don't want talk to one of us. They are uncomfortable to show people even they are good communicate with sign language but not writing or reading.

Some deaf student are make no sense with that communicate such sign like this, "look this funny hamburger face." i was like what... "look funny wall" talk another subject between hamburger and then wall.

So it all about the school system didn't do as workshop to teaching to deaf student instead "MY WAY!" It depend on public school and school for deaf.

As other previous posted, for school for deaf staff are working hard to improve with reading and writing and it is true. Not all ever school do ...

ideafspy

You brought up my attention.

I remember a friend of mine talked about a deaf school. A deaf school's program divides a group of students as Class A, Class B, Class C - or - Class A1, Class B2, Class C3 for example. They do not have real grades. It is not a possible for a high schoolteacher to know the difference between deaf school and high school grades. I am surprised about that.

Back