Don't wear ultra powered hearing aids too often!!!

Actually, that could explain a lot of "progressive losses" that seem to progress after being aided.:hmm:
Mine progressed 7 years w/o HAs. Then I wore analog HAs for 10 years in the originally diagnosed ear and 5 years in the other ear. I doubt these HAs were "loud" as my hearing was in the mild-moderate range in the beginning and I did not get adustments through the years. My hearing continued to get worse until I needed the "power" aids. I believe I have a "natural" progressive loss.

Mine progressed 7 years w/o HAs. Then I wore analog HAs for 10 years in the originally diagnosed ear and 5 years in the other ear. I doubt these HAs were "loud" as my hearing was in the mild-moderate range in the beginning and I did not get adustments through the years. My hearing continued to get worse until I needed the "power" aids. I believe I have a "natural" progressive loss.

Not saying that progressive losses that progress as the result of the etiology of the loss are not valid. Most, I'm sure, would fall into that category. Just saying that it is a possibility, in some cases, that the progression could be tied to the the more powerful HA. I was thinking mostly of age related losses, and cases where the individual turned the aid up to a level that was not recommended.

What?

From what I understand, that is (e's personal journey.

What do you mean it is my personal journey? Are you saying that I am dismissing this idea? I hope that is not what you think.

The post I wrote was not just about my personal journey. I looked into this topic, asked some questions about it, and I wrote that it is possible for people to lose their hearing from hearing devices that are not programmed properly. It is a real problem, and I hope that you were not thinking I was stating that it doesn't happen. I said that one should not wear or use amplification devices that are not appropriately programmed. However, to simply state that ALL hearing aids will definitely cause more hearing loss in everyone would be incorrect.

(e

Eh? What? Huh?

I've been successfully using HAs for nearly 40 years, and even if my SP aids do add slightly to my hearing loss, as Rose stated, "its a price worth paying"!

Anyway what's the different between UP and SP? I have never tried UP and wonder if these would be better than SP for me

Anyway what's the different between UP and SP? I have never tried UP and wonder if these would be better than SP for me

That's why a person goes to school for 10+ years. I don't know if any of us are actually suited to answer that.

Ultra Powered
Super Powered I think.

I know but is UP more stronger than SP?
I believe so. I could have gotten SP for my right ear and UP for my left ear (which is my worse ear), but chose to get UP for both so that I have the "headroom" for future hearing loss.

for me, I have just the UP for my ears that are at the same rate as shown on the audiogram!

I jump in this thread since the HA my son uses are made from an (italian) brand that specifically pointed out this risk some years ago... In fact, their policy is to turn up volume very slowly and let the person adjust with the exact volume needed, to prevent damage wich I think IS possible. The fact is, especially when you put HA on kids, you can't be so sure about their residual hearing... And the risk to use an excessively high volume is always there, since everyone wants results, results, results as soon as possible. We went on that route too before changing aids. They kept on upping the volume and my son was forced to wear HA, hoping to make him react to sound. So, you see that in this case it is possible to make damage... He just tried to adjust to it, but adjusting to an excessive volume is not good even for a profoundly deaf! And if you give him this habit of highest volume since childhood, he'll keep it while growing. I think this can be a cause of progressive loss, even if it may be rare (many kids are cooperative on audiograms and let you set correctly the volume, but that's not the case of my kid and of some others).
Now he has his HA set with a lower volume and a better sound quality, and he slowly makes progress. But the main key was for us parents, to lower our expectations and give him his time to see what to do with sounds... I'm more relaxed now, and I think he can do well with this aids and will not get the habit of having the volume set too high.

I hope my thoughts were somehow understandable... :confused:
Sorry for poor english

The difference between SP and UP depends on frequencies. The maximum output of the Naida UP is 144 compared to 141 on the SP, Max gain of the UP is 85 compared to 80 on the SP. BUT, if you look into it in more detail sometimes the sustained capability of the SP exceeds that of the UP just because of some of the finer details of response - I don't know which situations, I just know from other discussions I've read that it does in certain situations so you need to look at more than just the designation UP "ooh that sounds more powerful" and maximum flat-out responses. Although those figures don't look that different, remember that on the logarithmic scale of dB the difference between 10dB and 15dB is way smaller than the difference between 80dB and 85dB, that could be pretty significant extra power.

You get more life out of the battery in the UP even at the same gain as it's a 675 instead of a 13, but the payback is a bigger hearing aid. And also even if your loss is within the listed capability of the SP, sometimes the UP works more comfortably instead of working flat out. When technology is working flat out there is usually some distortion, I can (just!) wear an M hearing aid according to the stats and fitting range but the SP is a better practical fit, the M is comically bad.

This is based on Phonak again cos like I say I have their papers on my desk. Even between differenct Phonaks SP ranges are not the same (Naida SP is max gain of 80, Ambra SP max gain is 75), so across other brands the SP ranges may be more or less powerful.

You get more life out of the battery in the UP even at the same gain as it's a 675 instead of a 13, but the payback is a bigger hearing aid.

My HAs are super power and require 675 batteries.

I know they now produce SP aids which take 13 batteries but I suspect you'd need to keep changing batteries all the time, which would be a nuisance, especially with two aids. My batteries tend to go at the most inconvenient times, but at least they last a couple of weeks or more.

As we and our mothers all know - do NOT go to loud rock concerts. Right? Rock concerts are around 115db. This is a couple of hours per now and then of exposure. Research proves that this causes hearing loss. THIS IS SHORT TERM.

The hearing aids you wear on a daily basis, for hours and hours at end are at like 90db. That can't be great at all. I am currently imaging that it actually damages your hearing because of long-term exposure to loud noises.

It's all a conspiracy to get you to lose more hearing, then to make you buy more products I say!

I experienced this problem not too long ago. I had the Nadia (which is also like ultra powered HAs) and it was brand new at the time, we had to replace my ancient hearing aids that i had since 3. And i was wearing it in winter drumline. In winter drumline we play indoors instead of outdoors. And my right ear was hard of hearing at the time, and I guess since the first few weeks of wearing my new hearing aid in the winter, my right ear started going bad. My audiologist didn't know whether it was my autoimmune hearing loss causing it again or was it because loud exposed noise? We bought special earplugs for me (even though i was deaf) to protect my remaining hearing i had left in my right ear, it failed. and I wound up getting another implant on my right ear, implanted in september, activated in october (2010)

I experienced this problem not too long ago. I had the Nadia (which is also like ultra powered HAs) and it was brand new at the time, we had to replace my ancient hearing aids that i had since 3. And i was wearing it in winter drumline. In winter drumline we play indoors instead of outdoors. And my right ear was hard of hearing at the time, and I guess since the first few weeks of wearing my new hearing aid in the winter, my right ear started going bad. My audiologist didn't know whether it was my autoimmune hearing loss causing it again or was it because loud exposed noise? We bought special earplugs for me (even though i was deaf) to protect my remaining hearing i had left in my right ear, it failed. and I wound up getting another implant on my right ear, implanted in september, activated in october (2010)

And you think its from hearing aids?? :shock:

Back