Don't wear ultra powered hearing aids too often!!!

Huh? That doesn't make sense. All technical devices do have volume down. So, that way I will not lose my hearing if it's too loud.

Well, I would hope not. I've worn mine for 30 years now; my hearing loss did progress for a while, but has been stable now for a long time. I wouldn't quit wearing them in a panic or anything like that, but it's interesting what Messymama wrote about the audiologist specifically warning of the danger of turning them up too high.

A properly fitted hearing aid would have a limit on how loud it can go, doesn't it? I hope so.

Well, I would hope not. I've worn mine for 30 years now; my hearing loss did progress for a while, but has been stable now for a long time. I wouldn't quit wearing them in a panic or anything like that, but it's interesting what Messymama wrote about the audiologist specifically warning of the danger of turning them up too high.

A properly fitted hearing aid would have a limit on how loud it can go, doesn't it? I hope so.

Yes and it will cut out if the sound is too loud. I have Naida also. That is how I know what they do and how ridiculous that they would contribute in that situation.

Good to know. The ones I had before these Phonaks definitely cut out if the sound was too loud, but my current ones have never done that. Guess nothing has ever been too loud...or else they just cut down on the noise, but not out entirely. I'm really not sure. But while they've never cut out that I'm aware of, they have also never amplified anything to where I thought "Oh, that's LOUD!!" So I guess they're ok.

I'd hope the same thing for coolgirl's aids; hope it was just a coincidence that her hearing got worse after the winter drumline practice.

Good to know. The ones I had before these Phonaks definitely cut out if the sound was too loud, but my current ones have never done that. Guess nothing has ever been too loud...or else they just cut down on the noise, but not out entirely. I'm really not sure. But while they've never cut out that I'm aware of, they have also never amplified anything to where I thought "Oh, that's LOUD!!" So I guess they're ok.

I'd hope the same thing for coolgirl's aids; hope it was just a coincidence that her hearing got worse after the winter drumline practice.

She was wearing earplugs. She has had ongoing auto immune loss since age three.

Common sense tell me that HAs easily can destroy some part of the body. The fact that a italian manufacturer have warned about this is not a good sign.

I stopped using HA pretty young, and my db scores have improved a bit. But guess it's different from case to case and depedens on kind of hearing loss.

Tinnitus is another risk of HA? Not sure, but I seldom see deaf people who never used HAs, get tinnitus.

Notice that he warned about this specifically reffering to children. Adults should be able to notice an exaggerate volume (or already have had damage...), while children are often obliged to wear aids even when they clearly don't want them, and nobody wonders about WHY they refuse aids (it was one thing that made me change route - when volume was too high my son took his aids off, while now he keeps them all the time. - I never force him to wear them anyway). Plus, born deaf children often take a LONG time to understand how sound works, and so they can have really bad audiograms even if the access to sound is good enough.

I personally think this is even more true with digital aids, because children with a small residual hearing in high frequencies may need a long time to learn to recognize high sounds... And in the meanwhile, they don't react to them, so professionals uuuuuuppp the volume on that frequencies, searching for reactions from the child.

Anyway, our manufacturer is a very special one and have quite controversial theories :roll: but had good results with many profoundly deaf people we know, and we trust him.

interesting what Messymama wrote about the audiologist specifically warning of the danger of turning them up too high.

This is one reason my daughter ended up not getting fitted. She is unco-operative during testing, her ear structure is not suitable for ABR testing and she is very difficult to distract. They cannot be sure whether she is hearing a sound and is not interested enough to be distracted by it or if she doesn't hear anything. They have to be able to be sure about what the loss is and what to add back.

Simlarly my own childhood, having a fluctuating loss was a real problem because they couldn't say for sure that hearing aid model x on volume setting y was correct and safe for me as each day is so different.

I have a very wide volume range on my hearing aids because of the fluctuating component of my loss and I guess it would be possible for me to set them dangerously high. But I am so scared of things being loud that there is a greater danger of me hearing anything at all that sounds like it might possibly be described as "loud" and turning them down too far. The new ones have been set up so I can't make them go below the recommended levels, only upwards. Too quiet is as much a problem as too loud as it can prolong auditory deprivation problems.

Yes and it will cut out if the sound is too loud. I have Naida also. That is how I know what they do and how ridiculous that they would contribute in that situation.
I was in a noisy place yesterday for several hours (train station in Philly - high ceilings). My Naidas auto mode had me in "speech-in-noice" mode the whole time. I could tell because my voice was "dampened". Once and a while I would cycle through the programs to reset it and would hear the loudness before the HAs went back to the s-in-n program. Love these HAs.

I was in a noisy place yesterday for several hours (train station in Philly - high ceilings). My Naidas auto mode had me in "speech-in-noice" mode the whole time. I could tell because my voice was "dampened". Once and a while I would cycle through the programs to reset it and would hear the loudness before the HAs went back to the s-in-n program. Love these HAs.

My daughter is a professional musician in the symphony. This year she took me to a concert where there was a double bass concerto and sat me in the front row.

Ravel's Bolero was played with two snare drums in front of the orchestra, one amplified.

After the end she came and got me, and asked if I had fun and said she was sure that I could hear Bolero and most of the musician's were wearing earplugs.

I had to say that I loved parts and missed quite a bit because the Naida decided it was too loud and shut off. :P

And you think its from hearing aids?? :shock:

Probably, because at the time my right ear was hurting pretty bad due to the noise because of the Nadia and i had to constantly take it off, and thats when i went to a hearing test and my hearing levels were pretty bad. And my only option was to get another CI.

Notice that he warned about this specifically reffering to children. Adults should be able to notice an exaggerate volume (or already have had damage...), while children are often obliged to wear aids even when they clearly don't want them, and nobody wonders about WHY they refuse aids (it was one thing that made me change route - when volume was too high my son took his aids off, while now he keeps them all the time. - I never force him to wear them anyway). Plus, born deaf children often take a LONG time to understand how sound works, and so they can have really bad audiograms even if the access to sound is good enough.

I remember partly about this when i got my first pair of HA's at 3, I remember taking them off all the time because i didn't like how loud they were, and I remember having to hide them under chairs and my mom used to freak out alot and my dogs almost got to them... But after awhile i got used to them. But what you said is true.

Drum line? Coupled with auto immune hearing loss ? That's just going a little out of your way to be horrified by hearing aids.

Nobody could really take that seriously

My audiologist said that he had patients who are in band, as well as drumline or any other band activity, and has worn hearing aids, and it shows that powerful hearing aids have also not helped with the loudness aka the point to my situation.

Winter Indoor Drumline is intensively loud. I mean you got the bass drums, the snare drums, the tenors, cymbal players, the vibraphones, marimbas, the guitars, synth, drumset and rack. We're playing indoors.

She was wearing earplugs. She has had ongoing auto immune loss since age three.

My audi thought that if i had musician earplugs, it would help me due to the intense loudness in the room for only my right ear. My parents bought me this earplugs: Etymotic Research, Inc. - ETY-Plugs ER20 High Fidelity Earplugs

These hearing aids are pretty powerful. I had to literally take them out of my ear because it was to a point where i couldn't take the pain in my ear anymore. And I couldn't hear very well afterwords. I mean, When i wanted to take my HA off, my section leader got mad at me because i had them off and he demanded me that i put them back on so i can hear the instructions and stuff. But in my opinion he can sign to me, he has been taking ASL classes at the high school and a bunch of my other friends in the group with me knows ASL because i've been teaching them sign so they can help me out a little bit. But oh well, not the point here. But what i'm trying to say is, if you're not a musician, its probably not that much of a big deal to you, but if you are, it probably is. I mean I'm already deaf, and i lost more of my hearing in my right ear.

Back