Does this offend you

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I see is a lot of pent up sexual tension between the two posters in this particular case. :rofl:

This thread appears to be a blatant troll.

I specifically asked that it not be :)

I requested a fresh perspective from those to whom it would matter most. Obviously by posting without my opinion I was willing to accept either outcome. Some chose to be defensive and hijack the thread before anyone could voice their opinion. Oh well. I tried.

I think the comparison of Kokonut being gay offends the gay community more than anything else. :rofl:

Wirelessly posted

No, I am not a homosexual, but people have accused me of being too metro, too snobby or too fancy-- and combine those accusations with the fact hearing men are not comfortable with a low-vision deaf/hard-of-hearing male individual lipreading in close-quarter, to the point where it violates the sighted's privacy bubble, "he got the queer eyes" gets thrown around a lot in a bigoted region.

I used to take offense to homosexual humour, until a few bisexuals and lesbians pointed out by being offended, I am actually insecure about and am questioning my own sexuality. So, now if someone accuse me of being gay, I deliberately act gay toward them, even if I am not-- I don't do this to homosexuals or bisexuals though-- unless they are the anti-GLBT, in-the-closet gays.

Perhaps I should clarify. I am not asking if being asked if you are gay is offensive.

I am asking
1) Is it offensive that a person who claims to support the gay community would flippantly ask someone if they were gay for the point of attacking that person?

2) If asking a male if they are gay because they quoted "The Wizard of OZ" hints of an offensive/insensitive stereotype? Especially when asked by someone who claims to support the GLBT community?

To me it's not about the effects on the poster she was asking, but rather the effects on the GLBT community by the flippant manner in which she used the GLBT preference as a way of insulting someone. And stereotyping men who watched "The Wizard of Oz" as gay. There are many big strong football playing gay men out there too ya know.

I specifically asked that it not be :)

I requested a fresh perspective from those to whom it would matter most. Obviously by posting without my opinion I was willing to accept either outcome. Some chose to be defensive and hijack the thread before anyone could voice their opinion. Oh well. I tried.

Perhaps. Based on my experiences, a majority of GLBT are Liberals. Maybe they don't really feel inclined to become part of a research project conducted by a Conservative. Anyhow, it appears you have gotten responses mostly from the usual suspects. So it goes.

The GLTB community has already spoken. As has the straight community. Only the homophobic are in any way offended by the question "Are you gay?"

But keep digging that hole for yourself.:laugh2:

It is frustrating when you ask a question you are so sure of and don't get the answer you want or expect, isn't it?:lol:

You know, I am offended by someone who has demonstrated definate homophobic tendency and discriminatory and prejudice thinking against gays that comes into a GLTB forum and attempts to manipulate answers from a group they don't even support. It's as if the assumption is being made that GLTB are so out of it that they can easily be maniuplated and used for the purpose of the smart and witty heterosexual. Or as if the GLTB community is not capable of recognizing insincereity and two facedness when it is being presented to them. Now that is offensive.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this. I have not read the thread in reference, and maybe I will later. I have my own formed opinion about TXgolfer from his posts in the gay marriage threads, and gays in the military showers thread. Also, from the way he has picked on AD members of the GLBT community in the past. I won't get into specifics. But I pretty much feel the same as what Jillio posted. I think it's a lil ironic.

Oh, and I totally think this is trolling and pot stirring.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this. I have not read the thread in reference, and maybe I will later. I have my own formed opinion about TXgolfer from his posts in the gay marriage threads, and gays in the military showers thread. Also, from the way he has picked on AD members of the GLBT community in the past. I won't get into specifics. But I pretty much feel the same as what Jillio posted. I think it's a lil ironic.

Sorry you feel that way.....Thread is not about me though.

To clarify my positions the poster referred to

Marriage

I support civil unions but see no necessity for marriage....for anyone gay or straight. I was asked by my gay friend if I would be in her wedding if I she got married and I said yes, as long as it wasn't in a church. That is where I draw the line.

http://www.alldeaf.com/1619843-post64.html

Military
I have no problem with gays in the Military. I don't think a position should be taken on DADT by politicians. I believe that decision should be left up to the military brass. If the brass says revoking DADT will not affect morale I am all for revoking it. When it comes to the military I am for a trained focused group accomplishing a mission. I don't care who is carrying the guns.

http://www.alldeaf.com/1630762-post229.html

Real controversial. :roll:

But enough about me. :)

Perhaps. Based on my experiences, a majority of GLBT are Liberals. Maybe they don't really feel inclined to become part of a research project conducted by a Conservative. Anyhow, it appears you have gotten responses mostly from the usual suspects. So it goes.

Yep.....I didn't think it would float....worth a try. Oh well

Well, if anyone ask kokonut about he is gay or not so it is obviously that kokonut is straight and you should know better about him. I feel offended whoever ask if they are gay while they already know that they are straight.

Sometime, kokonut's post could be sarcastic about anything, including gay stuff.

This would have been a good thread, had we had the ability, for the originator to remove commentary of those who were asked not to comment....just thinking out loud here...have seen that feature elsewhere.

Last edited:
Well, if anyone ask kokonut about he is gay or not so it is obviously that kokonut is straight and you should know better about him. I feel offended whoever ask if they are gay while they already know that they are straight.

Sometime, kokonut's post could be sarcastic about anything, including gay stuff.

That's an excellent point as far as putting this in context. It's not like there is any ambiguity, the question in this case was meant as an insult.

Sorry you feel that way.....Thread is not about me though.

To clarify my positions the poster referred to

Marriage

I support civil unions but see no necessity for marriage....for anyone gay or straight. I was asked by my gay friend if I would be in her wedding if I she got married and I said yes, as long as it wasn't in a church. That is where I draw the line.

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - Judge in Boston rules federal ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional

Military
I have no problem with gays in the Military. I don't think a position should be taken on DADT by politicians. I believe that decision should be left up to the military brass. If the brass says revoking DADT will not affect morale I am all for revoking it. When it comes to the military I am for a trained focused group accomplishing a mission. I don't care who is carrying the guns.

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - DOD Asks: How Would You Feel Showering With Gays?

Real controversial. :roll:

But enough about me. :)

I understand that you rather to support civil unions over gay marriage, that's perfectly fine with me and long as they get rights. I do aware that gay marriage cause more moral and religious issues, also it is hot issue in political as well and if Supreme Court sides with gay marriage because of 14th Amendment so I will not surprised and can't imagine about what conservative states would to do.

Now, I'm unsure about Supreme Court will side with them or not.

Despite about DADT, I think that get mission accomplished is more important than focus on social issues and that why we want win the wars and stabilize of countries that previously unstabilized, such as Iraq and Afghan. The troopers need focus on missions and wars instead of focus on social.

I understand that you rather to support civil unions over gay marriage, that's perfectly fine with me and long as they get rights. I do aware that gay marriage cause more moral and religious issues, also it is hot issue in political as well and if Supreme Court sides with gay marriage because of 14th Amendment so I will not surprised and can't imagine about what conservative states would to do.

Now, I'm unsure about Supreme Court will side with them or not.

Despite about DADT, I think that get mission accomplished is more important than focus on social issues and that why we want win the wars and stabilize of countries that previously unstabilized, such as Iraq and Afghan. The troopers need focus on missions and wars instead of focus on social.

I agree 100%

And yes I want Gays to have rights. It's not even a choice. They are Americans.

Perhaps I should clarify. I am not asking if being asked if you are gay is offensive.

I am asking
1) Is it offensive that a person who claims to support the gay community would flippantly ask someone if they were gay for the point of attacking that person?

2) If asking a male if they are gay because they quoted "The Wizard of OZ" hints of an offensive/insensitive stereotype?
Especially when asked by someone who claims to support the GLBT community?

To me it's not about the effects on the poster she was asking, but rather the effects on the GLBT community by the flippant manner in which she used the GLBT preference as a way of insulting someone. And stereotyping men who watched "The Wizard of Oz" as gay. There are many big strong football playing gay men out there too ya know.

I agree with this. I think is was phrased as an attack, and is meant to sterotype homosexual men.

I agree 100%

And yes I want Gays to have rights. It's not even a choice. They are Americans.

Yup, America is more conservative than in Europe.

I do know about UK does have civil unions but no gay marriage.

Right. Knowing that poster's feelings about homosexuality, it was obvious that a homosexual reference would be offensive to him. But only because he is homophobic. And the response I have gotten regarding that indicates that my assessment of only someone who is homophobic being offended by being asked if they were gay is being supported over and over again, not just in the original thread, but here, too.

Hey, Jiro! Remember when you asked me if I was sure I wasn't Korean when we were talking about food we liked? Should I have been offended that you would ask me that, and that you were stereotyping Koreans by the food they eat?

Same difference.

Not really the same difference. Jiro was not trying to offend you.

I would need more context to decide if it's offensive. Jillio gave two contexts that would change the offensiveness of the question. People who are okay with gay people ask casually if other people are gay all the time. It's just a question out of genuine curiosity.

On the other hand, coming from a homophobe it's an attempt at an insult. Saying "are you gay" when you're homophobic is basically a roundabout way of saying "so basically should I disapprove of you?" And the way it's said changes things too. "Hey, are you gay?" isn't the same as "What, are you, GAY?" The latter is obviously meant to offend and provoke.

To those who are straight, gay, lesbian, transgender, or bisexual....being well adjusted in your sexuality and comfortable with your identity, are you offended when asks "Are you gay, lesbian, straight, transgender, or bisexual?"

Not in the least. In fact, people ask me all the time and I have no problem answering anyone who I know are comfortable with my gender/sexuality. When someone who has displayed homophobic behavior asks me, I'm not offended so much as I don't feel comfortable coming out to them.

BTW I just wanted to thank you jillio for always taking the time to include transgender and bisexual people in the discussion of sexual minorities. :ty::ty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back