Does the gender matter of your interpreter?

rgoodner

Reaction score
I am an interpreting student, I am writing a paper for my practicum class over the importance of the gender of the interpreter. I am asking all of you to give me your opinion on the matter.

Does the gender of the interpreter matter?

As a female do you prefer to have a male or female interpreter?

As a male do you prefer to have a male or female interpreter?

Does it really matter?

Thanks for your time! No names will be used in the paper, just quotes of your answers. Thanks a million!

Does the gender of the interpreter matter? No.

As a female do you prefer to have a male or female interpreter? Neither. As long as I understand someone well. That's all matter to me.

Does it really matter? Not matter to me, really. :)

Thanks for your time! No names will be used in the paper, just quotes of your answers. Thanks a million!

Anytime. Cheers~

EDIT: tarynrenae have a point. I forget about few personal appointments, so that would be yes. Another than that, it is not matter if it is a he or she.

I am an interpreting student, I am writing a paper for my practicum class over the importance of the gender of the interpreter. I am asking all of you to give me your opinion on the matter.

As a male do you prefer to have a male or female interpreter?

Does it really matter?

I'm a female. Generally, I don't care what gender my interpreter is, as long as they're competent at their job.

However, in situations that may be more personal, such as doctor's appointments and such, I'd prefer to have a female interpreter. That's the only thing I can think of where gender would even matter to me, though.

Thanks!

I went on an assignment with a certified interpreter (male). The agency sent a male interpreter to an OBGYN appointment. I was interpreting for the female client without being certified, because of the nature of the appointment. The female client was embarrassed by having a male interpreter present. So, in my experience it matters to a point...

I cannot believe that someone would be stupid and send a male interpreter to a doctor appointment with a female patient. I would think that female patient would prefer to write notes than to converse with a male interpreter. Granted, I have a girlfriend and have a lot of respect for females. However, if I was going to doctor, I would prefer to write notes than to have a female interpreter. I have a lot of faith in my English usage.

I cannot believe that someone would be stupid and send a male interpreter to a doctor appointment with a female patient. I would think that female patient would prefer to write notes than to converse with a male interpreter. Granted, I have a girlfriend and have a lot of respect for females. However, if I was going to doctor, I would prefer to write notes than to have a female interpreter. I have a lot of faith in my English usage.

Um, I've had both female and male interpreters for my doctor appointments. Never had a problem. I just don't have the interpreter present while the doctor is examining me.

Um, I've had both female and male interpreters for my doctor appointments. Never had a problem. I just don't have the interpreter present while the doctor is examining me.

Shy fella, aren't you? :lol:
I do not mind having an interpreter present during examinations, since I trust that their professionalism will take care of any discomfort I may have. :|

Shy fella, aren't you? :lol:
I do not mind having an interpreter present during examinations, since I trust that their professionalism will take care of any discomfort I may have. :|

Good point. I did not think about that. Of course, they will not be in doctor office to examine me.

Good point. I did not think about that. Of course, they will not be in doctor office to examine me.

That is entirely your choice. I had a female interpreter during my last prostrate exam, and she was professional about it, taking care to position herself to see only my upper body and face. I have no problems with interpreters being present during exams. They are worth their weight in gold. :)

I would rather to have male interpreter to voice for me instead have confuse gender of voice. If female interpreter have ability to pitch in man voice. That would be awesome.

That is entirely your choice. I had a female interpreter during my last prostrate exam, and she was professional about it, taking care to position herself to see only my upper body and face. I have no problems with interpreters being present during exams. They are worth their weight in gold. :)

But what will my girlfriend say? Wow, other woman is looking at my body. I am so hot!!

Yes, positioning and eye contact is key. Sometimes the terp must be present during the exam. Doctors do ask questions and give directions during exams.

I will say, as a terp, that I don't mind doing opposite sex medical appointments but if the patient is not comfortable with that arrangement I'm not the least bit offended. Medical appointments are stressful enough, and the deaf patient doesn't need any extra stress.

The doctor's office should ask the patient if they have any preferences before making the terp appointment. Also, the doctor's staff needs to pass that preference on to the terp or terp scheduler. Terps aren't mind readers.

I would rather to have male interpreter to voice for me instead have confuse gender of voice. If female interpreter have ability to pitch in man voice. That would be awesome.
:smash:

Does it really matter?

Does the gender of the interpreter matter? No, it doesn't matter!
As a female do you prefer to have a male or female interpreter? Either, doesn't matter.
Does it really matter? NO.

Oh shit, I don't want to mention but, I disliked one of my female interpreters at my university because she had a crush on my boyfriend. He and I had the same interpreter - her, I went to my University while my bf went to community college during the same period. It didn't surprise to us, she is a truly slut -- she did it with my bf's married culinary professer and my bf's classmate. She was few years younger than I. Thank god she moved away to Seattle.

Then how would a female OB/GYN patient feel about a male doctor? A doctor does things that are even more invasive than being in the same room as an interpreter would be.

If you prefer to write notes, then I guess you don't need an interpreter, male or female. If that's your preference, that's fine. :)

BTW, the terp isn't at the appointment to converse with the deaf patient. The terp is there to interpret between the doctor and the patient.

What does having a girlfriend have to do with the question?

Have you had a lot of experience with professional interpreters?

Back