Does deaf people can drive? (One guy asked me)

CHICAGO FOR LYF said:
I'm confused. As far as my knowledge goes, sign language has always been something you have to see to be aware of. So, unless I'm missing something, blind people won't be able to see the signs.

And I don't know of any various blindness, just the issue of not being able to see. :dunno:

SIGH!!! why not you try to find the websites about Blindness and Deaf/Blind . so you will understand and it should be very interesting to learn about the Blind and Deaf/blind how they lives you be amazing to learn .... I have had enough of too many ignorants people here ... I am outta of here for good ..... :bye:

CutePommie said:
SIGH!!! why not you try to find the websites about Blindness and Deaf/Blind . so you will understand and it should be very interesting to learn about the Blind and Deaf/blind how they lives you be amazing to learn .... I have had enough of too many ignorants people here ... I am outta of here for good ..... :bye:

It sounds like you expect everyone that can hear to be educated on deafness, blindness, and what not. That's not the case, and it's never gonna be the case. Most hearing people know nothing, and have no interest in learning. You should learn to tolerate it.

I took a workshop on communicating with deafblind folk. It was interesting. Tactile communication and modified two handed norwegian sign language were part of communicating with deafblind people. DB people can know the details of a room and how many people are in it if someone "draws" a diagram on their backs.

Anyone's life can be rich if they make adjustments and allowances. That goes for hearing and deaf people who learn how others live differently. Ignorance AND being enlightened is a matter of choice. It's sad to see people "choosing" to be ignorant just because it's easier or something they are more used to.. but it is more their loss. :)

CHICAGO FOR LYF said:
It sounds like you expect everyone that can hear to be educated on deafness, blindness, and what not. That's not the case, and it's never gonna be the case. Most hearing people know nothing, and have no interest in learning. You should learn to tolerate it.
You're right that hearing people can not be GLOBALLY educated, at least you learned it from us here. I used to have deaf/blind roommate and she uses sign language as a form of communication. The way deaf/blind communicate is they put their hands on other's hands and "Sense out" words while signing. This is the preferred method because anything else is very frustrating and slow (i.e. braille, presenting objects and so on.) She is very fluent with accounting and helped me a great deal with my budgets and I succeed because of her. That is quite an accomplishment for more severly disabled person like her.

CutePommie said:
He said that he was "confused", does't mean he is ignorant. He was asking questions trying to learn from us. There are a lot hearing people that got shocked at the fact that deaf people *CAN* fly an airplane, doesn't make them an ignorant either, they are just not informed because that is something OUT of ordinary.

Liza said:
I took a workshop on communicating with deafblind folk. It was interesting. Tactile communication and modified two handed norwegian sign language were part of communicating with deafblind people. DB people can know the details of a room and how many people are in it if someone "draws" a diagram on their backs.
Exactly! It's like sensing which knucke is being pulled out or not, similiar to computer's binary system in batch of 5 digits (01001) (00100) (01011) intermixed with motion and twists of hands that convey into a word, alphabet or number! They're highly talented, I must say!
Anyone's life can be rich if they make adjustments and allowances. That goes for hearing and deaf people who learn how others live differently. Ignorance AND being enlightened is a matter of choice. It's sad to see people "choosing" to be ignorant just because it's easier or something they are more used to.. but it is more their loss. :)
Or they just didn't realize that we *DO* exist and that there *IS* a variance.

LinuxGold said:
You're right that hearing people can not be GLOBALLY educated, at least you learned it from us here. I used to have deaf/blind roommate and she uses sign language as a form of communication. The way deaf/blind communicate is they put their hands on other's hands and "Sense out" words while signing. This is the preferred method because anything else is very frustrating and slow (i.e. braille, presenting objects and so on.) She is very fluent with accounting and helped me a great deal with my budgets and I succeed because of her. That is quite an accomplishment for more severly disabled person like her.

I wasn't aware deafness and blindness are something that can go together. How common is it? I didn't know there was a form of sign language where you touch someone's hand, just where you wave the signs in the air. :dunno:

CHICAGO FOR LYF said:
I wasn't aware deafness and blindness are something that can go together. How common is it? I didn't know there was a form of sign language where you touch someone's hand, just where you wave the signs in the air. :dunno:
There are more arts to what we can "see", meaning there's art in physical feeling!!! It's like having french kiss with eyes closed, why not keep them open? :) That is VERY COMMON amongst deaf and blind people. Just as much as we learned how to use our voice or sign language when we came into this world.

CHICAGO FOR LYF said:

Ethan is already know about deaf people can drive, let dissin at ethan on MSN again, make sure to invite david too. :lol:

Deaf people can drive

I just lost my hearing last year. I have had tons of doctor appointments sometimes twice a month. I can't depend on everyone else to take me places. It's part of keeping my independence. It's a very important part. My own cousin's reply was "Oh my god , they let you drive like that". I told her that my insurance co. said they had a lot of deaf drivers and there were no extra charges. The only problem I have sometimes is that I also have mild to severe vertigo. Just like people who drink, you have to be responsible enough to know when you can get behind the wheel or not. It's been very difficult. I feel like I have to learn how to do things all over again. I have to keep it up or I WILL loose my independence. When people say things like that it's because they just don't know. We have to be patient and try to educate them.

Aliboo said:
I just lost my hearing last year. I have had tons of doctor appointments sometimes twice a month. I can't depend on everyone else to take me places. It's part of keeping my independence. It's a very important part. My own cousin's reply was "Oh my god , they let you drive like that". I told her that my insurance co. said they had a lot of deaf drivers and there were no extra charges. The only problem I have sometimes is that I also have mild to severe vertigo. Just like people who drink, you have to be responsible enough to know when you can get behind the wheel or not. It's been very difficult. I feel like I have to learn how to do things all over again. I have to keep it up or I WILL loose my independence. When people say things like that it's because they just don't know. We have to be patient and try to educate them.

how did you go about losing your hearing? did it just...happen?

Aliboo said:
.....The only problem I have sometimes is that I also have mild to severe vertigo. ...

Sorry off subject -

I recommend you to see a chiropractor so that he/she can feel your back neck if your vertebrates are straight. A vertebrate pinches a blood vessel that cause vertigo. Another issue, your sinuses might have some infections or sinus inflamation. That's what you need to find out.

I am deaf and I have been driving since age 15 (in 1985-86!!). I have a driver's license and it says "SAFE DRIVER". That guy who said deaf people can't drive must be uneducated about people like us.

I've seen and had rides from other people who are deaf/HOH. and I'll also be a driver in 2 more years.

TrippLA said:
Hello friend, RP1 from SSC (Skyscrapercity Forum) and live in Chicago.

I just talked to him about stuff and he don't believe what I said that I have own car and driver license. His friend told him that deaf people can't drive and can't own driver license. I was laughed what he said. Please help him to understand about deaf culture. I have admit that he's looks weird and seems nice at most time, he's just talk like whatever.

I'm getting tired of hearing people that said deaf people can't drive, can't become pro sports, can't learn and many stuff. That's must be enough and enough.

{edited: link to a profile from another online site}
If they don't believe what you are telling them... Then they aren't true friends in the first place. I hate to sound rude but thats the way I look at it... Even tho I don't drive but my friend who is deaf does... No one believes her when she tells someone that she drives. Well all I can say the person who doesn't believe worth crap will eventually see it with their OWN EYES one day.. I hope this makes sense!! :)

That's :bsflag:! Of course deaf people can drive! I don't know WHAT makes most hearing people think deaf people can't drive. I am hearing, but I don't use my ears to drive! I don't watch the road with my ears! I am almost always alerted to emergency vehicles by seeing them when they're too far away to be heard, for example.

Hearing society needs to wake up and realize how few things you need to be able to hear in order to do... :ugh:

:pissed:

Cassbugs said:
If they don't believe what you are telling them... Then they aren't true friends in the first place. I hate to sound rude but thats the way I look at it... Even tho I don't drive but my friend who is deaf does... No one believes her when she tells someone that she drives. Well all I can say the person who doesn't believe worth crap will eventually see it with their OWN EYES one day.. I hope this makes sense!! :)
Exactly! If you have friends telling you that you can't do certain things because you're deaf, do you REALLY want to keep those "friends"? :dunno:

CHICAGO FOR LYF said:
wtf, how am I discriminating against deaf people? Because I wouldn't want to drive with one? That's ridiculous, I have nothing against deaf people, I would just rather not drive with one. Why is that so offensive?
Your comments against deaf people are so highly prejudiced and you are saying a lot of mean things about them. FYI, this is a forum for DEAF people and people friendly to them. If you want to have such a strong audist (anti-deaf) attitude, please take it elsewhere because this is not the place for it.

Nancy said:
I am deaf and I have been driving since age 15 (in 1985-86!!). I have a driver's license and it says "SAFE DRIVER". That guy who said deaf people can't drive must be uneducated about people like us.
Yes. Most hearing people seem to forget that most deaf people are very visual and driving is 100% visual, so of course deaf people can drive. I NEVER, EVER thought deaf people couldn't drive (in fact I was shocked when I found out that there were hearing people who thought deafies couldn't drive). I don't know...I always knew deafies could drive.

It seems most hearing people think deafness=blindness and blindness=deafness. Does anyone else notice that? :dunno:

Back