Does CI affect some nerves?

Apparently we all agree that complications can happen.. (except losing feeling in an arm due to CI surgery)..

It is interesting that those who look from the "d/Deaf" side notice many problems with CI..
Those who look from the "hearing" side don't see many problems, and hardly problems that last.

Now... Why would that be?
Main difference is...

my thread is not meant to ask hearing parents some question. please will you kindly leave here or be silent.

I am not interested in seeing your thoughts here on my thread. :)

Not going to happen personally to the hearies, and they don't care about what happens to deaf.

Perfectly ok to them to take any chance to make a deaf person a partial hearing person.

That is certainly an obvious answer to a question that everybody can see but the hearies pushing a surgery they won't have.

Little girl - "Daddy, do I have to do this surgery?"

Dad - "Yes honey; we want you to be like the rest of the family."

Little girl - "But the doctor said I might...die..."

Dad - "Well, the benefits, as we see it, outweigh the risks. We want you to be like us."

Dad - "Well, the benefits, as we see it, outweigh the risks. We want you to be like us."

Yeah.

Yeah.

Not going to happen personally to the hearies, and they don't care about what happens to deaf.

Perfectly ok to them to take any chance to make a deaf person a partial hearing person.

That is certainly an obvious answer to a question that everybody can see but the hearies pushing a surgery they won't have.

I don't know Bottessini.
I DO CARE what happens to the deaf and Deaf.

Just because I don't like misinformation being spread, which includes telling tchochkies like "you can have an entire arm paralyzed from CI" doesn't mean I don't care - it's precisely because I DO CARE i oppose spreading unproven crap.

The first thing I did coming here in 2005 was.... checking the facts about CI
which is:

Facial
nerve damage:
Cochlear Implant Surgery Risks | LIVESTRONG.COM
Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants

Damage to the nerve that moves the face on the side of the operation

Cochlear implant: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Not once it is mentioned anywhere that nerve damage can occur anywhere else on the body.

How is that possible, anyway, unless during the surgery a surgeon drops
the scalpel so hard, it cuts thru the tissue anywhere else?
which, btw, can happen during ANY surgery.

People have cosmetic surgery done.
Parts of their face are cut every which way, skin's taken out, repositioned, and so on.
Seem to me to be more risky procedure than CI surgery when it comes to facial nerves being involved.

And somehow, they don't lose the use of their limbs :dunno:
Just a thought.

Fuzzy

my thread is not meant to ask hearing parents some question. please will you kindly leave here or be silent.

I am not interested in seeing your thoughts here on my thread. :)
But " moo brown coo and cow" is relevant?

I've had multiple surgeries on both ears thru the years, the last one in Nov. 2011 (left ear)....and even that ear still drains. The ENT asked me about the right ear, and how long ago since I had surgery on it.....So, it's evident I'm facing another surgery.

Every time I had surgery, I was terrified of the surgeon making a "little mistake" (damaging the facial nerves).....Plus, all the encouragement of getting the CI on the left ear....and it still drains! Say what?

Besides, having all those wires and contraptions embedded in my head isn't for me! I feel "more normal" the way I am. I'm glad I made the decision NOT to have the CI....for others without all the complications, then kudos to them.

From a teen with a Cochlear Implant.

I've never experienced much difficulty or many problems with my Implant. And the little moments where I experienced things like a small bump that made me have to restart it, or tinnitus, they were things my friend Brianna has trouble with, as well, with a hearing aid. I underwent my surgery when I was only three years old, and I did have an infection, but god... I survived, and I'm so thankful! With devotion to speech therapy, no-one at my school really even realizes that I'm hearing impaired. The tone of my voice varies, because I was lucky enough to have gotten a Cochlear Implant.
Everything has it's pros and cons!
C.I. is definitely worth the risk! I thank my [divorced] parents every day, for deciding to let me undergo the surgery.

Back