Does CI affect some nerves?

As I said... hysterics. If I were a paid spokesperson I'd proudly state it so.

Curious, i notice that you come here to check CI section only and no introduction.

So i ask ...
how long have you have CI? Since this thread is related with your experience. Is there any problem or feeling numb or anything with your head?

Curious, i notice that you come here to check CI section only and no introduction.

So i ask ...
how long have you have CI? Since this thread is related with your experience. Is there any problem or feeling numb or anything with your head?

I don't do any introductions on any message board. I just speak my mind. When it comes to d/Deaf-related things, I'm really only interested in the CI aspect. Perhaps with time after interacting with others like me with a CI, which I've had for 6 years, I'll branch off into other topics interacting with them or others who I have come to like and develop a friendly interaction with. That is something that occurs over time.

Since the swelling went down after surgery, no, no numbness. Just the normal temporarily-altered sense of taste.

Acceptable isn't the issue. I do know if I were implanted as a baby and looked back as an adult.. I'd thank my parents for making that decision and giving me the gift of hearing, regardless of perceived risk.... none of that "you mean you risked my life to give me CI??" hysterics.

I thank my parents for allowing me to keep the gift of silence. It is just a matter of perspective. I am glad you are happy with your CI, and I know many who are, as well as many who aren't.

My ex and I both received CI at the same time. I was a successful implant, hers was a failed implant. There is a 50 percent success ratio right there. Something to think about.

My ex and I both received CI at the same time. I was a successful implant, hers was a failed implant. There is a 50 percent success ratio right there. Something to think about.

I'm sorry to hear hers failed. Is the cause known?

I don't do any introductions on any message board. I just speak my mind. When it comes to d/Deaf-related things, I'm really only interested in the CI aspect. Perhaps with time after interacting with others like me with a CI, which I've had for 6 years, I'll branch off into other topics interacting with them or others who I have come to like and develop a friendly interaction with. That is something that occurs over time.

Since the swelling went down after surgery, no, no numbness. Just the normal temporarily-altered sense of taste.

Yea there are several CI users here on AD. You will find more more of them though.
Do you know ASL or any form of sign languages?

Yes, the internal part malfunctioned. But she refuses to go through the surgery again to get it replaced.

That's just yucky. I can understand not wanting to endure another surgery. I wish you all the best for yours.

Been doing a lot of research about CIs and learned that defective implants are actually more problematic and more painful than getting implanted. Side effects of defective implants according to the FDA can range from pain, discomfort, fussiness, refusal to wear the external aid, sudden loud popping noises, etc.

So while getting implanted may have low risks, the rate of pain and discomfort from implants failing is much higher.

Considering that all cochlear manufacturers have had to do several major recalls of defective implants, I'm wondering how many patients have had to deal with pain and discomfort of their implant as well as emotional suffering from having to get explanted then re-implanted. The sad thing is that babies and toddlers not yet able to speak have no way of expressing their discomfort, other than being generally fussy and not wanting to wear the external aid. I do remember reading posts from hearing parents here and there talking about their babies and/or toddlers not wanting to wear the external aid or how they keep taking it off. Makes me wonder if it was because they were truly uncomfortable due to their implant not working properly and their parents never knew and kept forcing them to wear the implant in discomfort, thinking their kids are just being kids.

You know, I for one am tired of this speaking in generalities.
Links, please.

re: highlighted red:
So? it's merely pain and discomfort, not "nerve damage".
A thing that's temporary and that might be corrected.

HOW much higher?

re" highlighted blue:
again, so?

ever heard of heart pacemakers, for example?
these been recalled, too.
And unlike CI, pacemaker is something people need to actually LIVE.
One would think a pacemaker recall is something worse than CI recalls
as you can DIE from malfunctioning heart pacemaker, from a malfunctioning CI - not.

FDA Alerts Patients to Medtronic Pacemaker Recall

So, while CI recall is certainly not to be taken lightly, let's also keep it in perspective.
Nobody invented a contraption that was perfect right from the START.

The sad thing is that babies and toddlers not yet able to speak have no way of expressing their discomfort, other than being generally fussy and not wanting to wear the external aid.

And that is enough. What more do you need from babies?
A Harvard level half an hr soliloquy describing in detail every squeak, hum,
stab, ring, twitch and whatever?

It's a baby, for crissake.

Fuzzy

What the..?
Do you think there is a magic number that makes the deaths acceptable?

No, but there is a record kept of such accidental deaths, absolutely.
Any death during surgery is investigated, the record kept.

What do you think?
That if people die under knife nobody is kept responsible?

These deaths are scrutinized, if any negligence found, the person responsible
goes to trial.
Cases like that are kept in archives.

Death during CI surgery, particularly if this was a baby, would hit at least local community, Deaf most of all. I wouldn't be surprised if local media, even.

A baby contracting deadly meningitis from CI surgery is right away in the newspaper, isn't it?

How many times we read about that?

A high numbers of deaths from CI, and such number Alley Cat with her remark implies - "many has died" - certainly wouldn't go unnoticed.

Do you imagine the parents of deceased babies wouldn't make it well known how "many babies has died" from CI surgeries if it was so common,
not only to help people responsible for their babies deaths but also
in order to keep greedy companies from killing even more babies?

Just use your common sense.

So, yeah, any time someone gives vague statements like "many has died"
I will ask for some reliable data behind such statements.
It's only a responsible thing to do, to back up what you claim with facts.

Otherwise, you just spread misinformation which is doing harm.

Fuzzy

That's pretty common, though it doesn't usually involve complete loss of taste. My sense of taste was somewhat "salty" following surgery. It went back to normal once all of the swelling went down.

I don't know it's common. Her doctor told her it's rare happen. Yes, She is fine and she got taste everything like old times.

I don't know it's common. Her doctor told her it's rare happen. Yes, She is fine and she got taste everything like old times.

From what I ve witnessed with my friends and my hub, and it seems to me that it is common for any one who lose the taste for from 1 to 3 months and it comes back to normal again. i guess its common. its rare for anyone who lose the taste forever. i think.

Back