Does anyone else feel like their life was ruined by mainstream school

Have you been to an audiologist to have your hearing checked?

I recently heard about some new product or something to help with tinnitus... The name is escaping me right now...

I've had family members who were helped somewhat by having the radio or TV on to create a constant hum of background noise. :dunno: maybe that's why some people wear HAs at night or get CIs to help with tinnitus even though they don't expect to be able to understand spoken language at their age -- to bring in that constant hum of noise that's always around us. This article mentions static as a relief agent.

I've had family members who were helped somewhat by having the radio or TV on to create a constant hum of background noise. :dunno: maybe that's why some people wear HAs at night or get CIs to help with tinnitus even though they don't expect to be able to understand spoken language at their age -- to bring in that constant hum of noise that's always around us. This article mentions static as a relief agent.

maybe it works for others. I don't recall anyone who have tinnitus and use HA/or CI to make it go away. But not for me or my husband. My hub has a long history of his tinnitus since he was a baby/toddler. My husband wasn't planning to get a CI but doctor told him that if he gets a CI then He would get rid of tinnitus. SO He went for it and implanted it. Unfortunately, it got worsen a little bit. Tinnitus didn't go away from him. He must turn CI off and let it rest. same thing for me, I happen to get a tinnitus, and turn my HA off and let it rest.

So, do you know what you are "tsk"ing me for?

You do realize I didn't say anything negative, right?

Perhaps you didn't realize that, so I'll clarify for you.

I didn't say anything negative :)

i posted double.

Thank you for the links. this link is in 2001. He has a CI for about 7 yrs. He had been seeing lots of doctors over years. After Ci he got it and tinnitus got worse. oh well.

That's too bad. I hope he finds something to help him.

I feel sorry for anyone that had to go through what I did by being mainstreamed!

I hear you.

The Envoy has an implantable microphone in the eardrum. The eardrum filters the background noises better than an external microphone. This means that the Envoy patients can hear better than hearing aid wearers. If the cochlear implant was Totally Implantable and had a microphone in the eardrum (like the Envoy), CI patients would hear very good in a noisy room.

CI companies do not offer this option. Instead, they throw deaf kids into the cruel world of mainstream school/audism.

For the record, the speech therapists were very austere at me :pissed: until I pronounced things correctly.

CI companies throw deaf kids into the mainstream school without In-the Eardrum microphone cochlear implant (very good hearing) or ASL. It's a fact that speech therapists discourage ASL. The cruelty!

If the cochlear implant was Totally Implantable and had a microphone in the eardrum (like the Envoy), CI patients would hear very good in a noisy room.

CI companies do not offer this option. Instead, they throw deaf kids into the cruel world of mainstream school/audism.

For the record, the speech therapists were very austere at me until I pronounced things correctly.

CI companies throw deaf kids into the mainstream school without In-the Eardrum microphone cochlear implant (very good hearing) or ASL. It's a fact that speech therapists discourage ASL. The cruelty!
WHY are you so preoccupied with totally implantable CI? A person with CI is STILL VERY MUCH HOH!!!!! How the hell you connect mainstreaming/audism with the lack of a totally implantable CI is beyond me. ....If they had a totally implantable CI, people would STILL deal with the downsides of beign HOH!!!!! Just stop harping on this, and learn Sign and get involved with Deaf culture!! You'll be much happier and not miss a totally implantable CI....and trust me, they won't be offering it ANY TIME SOON. It's cosmetic. Just accept being HOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being in both situations....first public schools then becoming deaf and having to transfer to a deaf school.......Did it ruin my life?....Not a chance!...I adapted, I learned and was able to make some friends after the adjustment period.

I was "shunned" at first at the deaf school....Knew no ASL at all. And just like deafies having to be mainstreamed, knowing no speech either. But saying "it ruined my life" ?? say what?....

i always went to a mainstream school but from 2nd grade through 5th there were deaf and hard if hearing students in my school. But, they were all in one classroom abd i wondered why i wasnt with them. everyday i woild make up an excuse to go over to their class just for a moment i didnt fel alone,diffent and strange. I felt at home being around kids my age that had "hearing issues" and that signed

Back