DOD Asks: How Would You Feel Showering With Gays?

Not the same situation. Toilet stalls are enclosed. Gym-style military showers are one big, open area with multiple shower heads. There is no separation or privacy.

It's standard common courtesy when living in close-quarter group situations to respect each others' personal space and privacy as much as possible.

It's not the same situation as perceived by YOU. That's my point. Has it occurred to you that maybe most people don't like to shower in front of others (REGARDLESS of their sexuality) but they "grin and bear it" because reality sets in?

It's impossible to create enough showers for everyone due to time, space and cost.

The trick is balancing reality with the comfort level of the individual. I'm saying the comfort level is increasing, which is why this is becoming allowable. Why do you think they are asking soldiers?

Let me ask you a hypothetical question. Lets say 10% of the soldiers are very uncomfortable with the idea while the rest say "I dont care.", do you think they STILL should ban gay people or at least make them hide it (DADT)?

It's not the same situation as perceived by YOU. That's my point. Has it occurred to you that maybe most people don't like to shower in front of others (REGARDLESS of their sexuality) but they "grin and bear it" because reality sets in?

It's impossible to create enough showers for everyone due to time, space and cost.

The trick is balancing reality with the comfort level of the individual. I'm saying the comfort level is increasing, which is why this is becoming allowable. Why do you think they are asking soldiers?

Let me ask you a hypothetical question. Lets say 10% of the soldiers are very uncomfortable with the idea while the rest say "I dont care.", do you think they STILL should ban gay people or at least make them hide it (DADT)?

Yes

Oh okay problem solved. Kick out several hundred soldiers, if not more, and everyone's happy. Sure.

Unless you're okay with the DADT policy, and allow the gay soldiers in the military, and straight people shower in ignorance bliss?

Honestly, this is so dumb to me because, let's get real, 90% of the military have already showered with a gay person. The other 10% don't use shared showers, period. This isn't a question of "Are you okay with showering with gay people?" The REAL question is "Are you okay with showering with gay people KNOWING that they are gay?"

Oh okay problem solved. Kick out several hundred soldiers, if not more, and everyone's happy. Sure.

Unless you're okay with the DADT policy, and allow the gay soldiers in the military, and straight people shower in ignorance bliss?

Honestly, this is so dumb to me because, let's get real, 90% of the military have already showered with a gay person. The other 10% don't use shared showers, period. This isn't a question of "Are you okay with showering with gay people?" The REAL question is "Are you okay with showering with gay people KNOWING that they are gay?"

I like DADT for the military....... The military friends I have like it as well.

I like DADT for the military....... The military friends I have like it as well.

I actually was for the DADT, but I believe it's just a temporary thing. When the majority of people are used to it, it should be repealed.

Do you believe that the DADT should be there forever? Even if the majority don't give a hoot about gay people? Like today's generation don't give a hoot about interracial marriages?

I'm just saying, the repeal of DADT may happen sooner than later since people are starting to not care.

I actually was for the DADT, but I believe it's just a temporary thing. When the majority of people are used to it, it should be repealed.

Do you believe that the DADT should be there forever? Even if the majority don't give a hoot about gay people? Like today's generation don't give a hoot about interracial marriages?

I'm just saying, the repeal of DADT may happen sooner than later since people are starting to not care.

I think that is the whole point of the survey......My thoughts on DADT have nothing to do with personal beliefs but rather cohesion. If they find the repeal of DADT won't have an effect on the morale of our military I don't care what they do. The decision needs to be made by the military leaders.....not politicians trying to please constituents.

:gpost: You nailed it right here.

I think that is the whole point of the survey......My thoughts on DADT have nothing to do with personal beliefs but rather cohesion. If they find the repeal of DADT won't have an effect on the morale of our military I don't care what they do. The decision needs to be made by the military leaders.....not politicians trying to please constituents.

I agree with you here. Omg!!! :)

I just hope the outcome of the survey leans toward my favor.... :D

I don't even know why people bother trying to be obstacles for gay rights. You know it's gonna happen eventually, just let it happen and leave the judging to the higher being.

I'm pretty sure people thought the same about black people. "omg just stop tryin to block their rights already!!! You know it's gonna happen!"

It is time for rid of DADT because some NATO countries allow openly gay to join military and they said it is not a big deal.

Exactly. Whether someone is straight or gay is a non-issue. The real issue is boundaries. And if boundaries are being observed, one's sexual orientation isn't a valid point.

Exactly. Whether someone is straight or gay is a non-issue. The real issue is boundaries. And if boundaries are being observed, one's sexual orientation isn't a valid point.

I agree. I think if disclipine doesn't kick in with those who can't keep their eyes in proper focus, they should be removed from combat sitiuations. :P

I agree. I think if disclipine doesn't kick in with those who can't keep their eyes in proper focus, they should be removed from combat sitiuations. :P

Yep. And with the number of females in the military increasing, chances are great that those with a problem with boundaries are heterosexual males.:P

I have military combat friends who feel insulted by DADT. Combat is all about the guy next to you, and they don't give a rat's ass his sexual orientation as long as they can trust him to have their backs.

I have military combat friends who feel insulted by DADT. Combat is all about the guy next to you, and they don't give a rat's ass his sexual orientation as long as they can trust him to have their backs.

That attitude has been my experience as well. The concern over another's sexual orientation is more about the one expressing the concern. They need to deal with their issues.

Sorry, the DADT is more in line of protecting the gays and lesbians then to put them down. I work with other soldiers(who also agree with me) that they should not lift the DADT yet. Most of us don't give a rats ass what the other guy sexual ideas are. We pick on each other for the women they do find to sleep with. We also know there are a lot of soldiers out there that can't accept that yet(either due to the way they where raised, beliefs, or just how they feel about it). I myself don't give a fuck who they sleep with, just don't want a guy to grab my stuff or anything like that. And yes, as a grease monkey, we do walk a fine line and most of the time, is a sexual harassment waiting to happen most of the time.

The idea behind the DADT is more long the lines so that hasting and gay bashing be less likely done. Yeah, if it the soldier broke the policy, they got kicked out. It was more long the lines to protect them. If you want prof, 10 years ago, a soldier was killed cause his girlfriend was a stripper that had a sex change to be a women. Yeah, it was 10 years ago, but it still not that long ago when you think about how long it takes changes to happen in the military. Just so you know I am not blowing smoke, the website I got info to refresh my mind is 'Girl' defies neat sexual categories / Garity plays soldier killed in anti-gay attack - SFGate

There is still a lot of gay bashing going on, and the appeal of DADT will only increase it till the army has all things ironed out. That includes EO classes, getting the right facilities for all groups(yes one for gays, one for lesbians one for straight males and one for straight females). If some of you still think that it not there for the protection for the gays/lesbians, then just get on google and type in gay-bashing in the military and see what you get. I bet you find about 5 articles that are not even 3 years old. Then ask yourself if the DADT policy get lifted before the training and all starts, how many would there be that not even a year old.

There is problem about GLBT population is much minority and they don't treat same equal rights as straight people do, especially in military. :roll:

Look at UK, Canada and some NATO countries allow openly gay soldiers to serve in military.

Worry about gay soldiers to being harassed or put down? What about update the harassment policy to protect gay soldiers from being harassed or put down but I know it won't completely rid of harassment issues because some people choose to be homophobia.

I see DADT as unfair and discrimination, even my father, retired from Marines agreed with me.

I believe that gay soldiers should have choice to openly about their sex orientation and I don't know if increase of harassment or threat may happen but for me, if I want serve in military so I rather to keep sex orientation closeted (privately), just like I do in real life after situation with homophobia students in 5 years ago.

or there is other option is reform the DADT to limit applies to people who is on military duty or during combat time, especially wartime but any servicewomen or servicemen who are out of military duty shouldn't subject to DADT until they go back to military duty.

Out of military duty means go home and see the families, vacation, discharge due illness or disabilities (temp/permanent).

I found out that some local police may call military if they find that troops who is openly gay during out of military duty.
Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military - Washington Times

I found a tragic news and that reason because I want DADT to be repeal or reformed.
Camp Pendleton sailor found dead on base - SignOnSanDiego.com

This serviceman cannot report to military about being harassed because he's gay and he could get discharge due DADT.

My friend was saying that DADT is supposed to keep gay soldiers safe by not disclose about their sex orientation at all but some people keep looking and investigate on them to find out if they are gay or not.

How is disrespectful. :mad:

Back