Doctors remove 80kg tumour from woman

CatoCooper13

Reaction score
AP - A woman was reported in stable condition after doctors removed an 80-kilogram benign tumour in an eight-hour operation.

Lucica Bunghez "felt free after the tumour was removed," said Dr Ioan Lascar, who teamed with Dr McKay McKinnon, a plastic surgeon from Chicago, and 12 other doctors in Thursday's operation.

It took less time than expected because the tumour was symmetrical, allowing for two teams of surgeons to work simultaneously, he said.

Bunghez, 46, suffered from neurofibromatosis, or NF, a progressive disorder of the nervous system that causes disfiguring tumours to form on nerves throughout the body.

Her tumour covered much of her back and ran halfway down her thighs.

Without it, she weighs 40 kilograms, doctors said. The growing tumour had absorbed blood and nutrients from her body like a giant parasite.

A former cake seller from the Transylvanian city of Brasov, Bunghez has been bedridden and unable to care for herself for three years. She still will need to undergo a skin reconstruction operation.

McKinnon offered his services for free after the Romanian government said it could not afford the $US300,000 ($A389,054) needed for Bunghez to have treatment in the United States.

In 2000, McKinnon successfully removed a 90-kilogram tumour caused by the same disorder from Lori Hoogewind, of Wyoming, Michigan, in an 18-hour operation that drew worldwide attention.

©AAP 2004

:eek:

I checked to find out how many pounds there are in 80 kilograms. It is a little over 176 pounds! I couldn't imagine a tumor being this large in a person. I feel bad for this lady who suffered so much. :tears:

160 pounds heavy tumor? :shock:

wow, what a mircale that she survived after an operation

Back