Do your interpreter usually does this?

Leo_Mary

Reaction score
I'm in high school, I use common sense, I know what is allowed and what is not allowed.

I had this woman last year, god I hate her so much, no offence to her. I had a bad habit of chatting during class time but I want to live like I won't live tomorrow, so I chatted with one of my friend in sign language (She's deaf as well) then my interpreter did something I didn't expected. She yelled out to class based on me and my friend's private chat, we was chatting about her "teenager pregnancy predict" I told her what the *bleep* was she doing? Interpreter said to me, "You deserved it. You chats too much" I got quite angry at her, ever since, everyone looked down on my friend as if she was a slut (My friend later became a drop-out student so everyone forgot about her now.).

There's a other time as well. I was in a drama class, I was watching along with my crush, James (We had a different class but it was a special event)... I was sitting in the back.. thank god I was in the back, seriously. Drama room went pitched black so I could see nothing until my friend wanted to tap me but she ended up slapping in my face, I laughed quietly and told her. My friend usually laugh loud, she did and it made James and his friends to turn around and glare at us... My friend did it again later, even if I told her to stop, I decided to apologize to my teacher by myself after the drama. Before I went to teacher, I asked my interpreter to interpret for me so I can apologize but my interpreter yelled at me "WELL YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT! YOU LITTLE ANNOYING *BLEEP*. ONLY IF YOU HASN'T CHAT! YOU WAS EXTREMELY RUDE! GET LOSE!" I could feel my heart hurting but I decided to hold my tears until it's private. I left the drama room to the hallway, my crush realized my face and body language so he took a step forward as if he was trying to say something to me (He's hearing) but he couldn't because I walked right pasted to him. I arrived to a private place and I kept crying until my friend came to me. She realized what interpreter did so she went to her by herself. Interpreter said she didn't give shit and that I deserved it. My friend later apologized for laughing loud.

Have this ever happened to you? Because I know that interpreter wasn't supposed to do this.

-R Mary (Sorry for my grammar, I was so lazy to edit my grammar)

Or behave properly in school.

It doesnt matter. It is not the terps job to babysit or tell the student what to do, especially not at high school level. They are to interperet, thats it. Hearing kids screw off in school all the time. Equal treatment goes both ways.

That was TOTALLY unprofessional of the interpreter. Someone with that attitude, behavior, and language has no place in a school. Tell your parents about these incidents, and file a complaint. You need a new interpreter ASAP!

I'm surprised that your teachers haven't complained about her. As a terp, she has crossed the line and taken over the teachers' role of discipline. That's a no-no.

The only time a terp should interfere with student behavior is if there is a safety issue.

That is so wrong. I hope you can get better interpreter.

Even Deaf student not behaving fully, terp had no right to yell at you or tell you off. If hearing student are allow mess about a bit, being chatting, not following all rules, why not the deaf too? Why they have to behave perfectly? Everyone go through that stage.

I'm in high school, I use common sense, I know what is allowed and what is not allowed.

I had this woman last year, god I hate her so much, no offence to her. I had a bad habit of chatting during class time but I want to live like I won't live tomorrow, so I chatted with one of my friend in sign language (She's deaf as well) then my interpreter did something I didn't expected. She yelled out to class based on me and my friend's private chat, we was chatting about her "teenager pregnancy predict" I told her what the *bleep* was she doing? Interpreter said to me, "You deserved it. You chats too much" I got quite angry at her, ever since, everyone looked down on my friend as if she was a slut (My friend later became a drop-out student so everyone forgot about her now.).

There's a other time as well. I was in a drama class, I was watching along with my crush, James (We had a different class but it was a special event)... I was sitting in the back.. thank god I was in the back, seriously. Drama room went pitched black so I could see nothing until my friend wanted to tap me but she ended up slapping in my face, I laughed quietly and told her. My friend usually laugh loud, she did and it made James and his friends to turn around and glare at us... My friend did it again later, even if I told her to stop, I decided to apologize to my teacher by myself after the drama. Before I went to teacher, I asked my interpreter to interpret for me so I can apologize but my interpreter yelled at me "WELL YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT! YOU LITTLE ANNOYING *BLEEP*. ONLY IF YOU HASN'T CHAT! YOU WAS EXTREMELY RUDE! GET LOSE!" I could feel my heart hurting but I decided to hold my tears until it's private. I left the drama room to the hallway, my crush realized my face and body language so he took a step forward as if he was trying to say something to me (He's hearing) but he couldn't because I walked right pasted to him. I arrived to a private place and I kept crying until my friend came to me. She realized what interpreter did so she went to her by herself. Interpreter said she didn't give shit and that I deserved it. My friend later apologized for laughing loud.

Have this ever happened to you? Because I know that interpreter wasn't supposed to do this.

-R Mary (Sorry for my grammar, I was so lazy to edit my grammar)

No, this has never happened to me - but if it did I would immediately file and official report of the incident.

As a minor (I'm assuming you're under 18?) you need to discuss the situation with your parent(s)/guardian - make sure they understand exactly what is happening regarding the interpreter. You also need to be accountable for YOUR actions, and admit to your parent(s)/guardian that you understand that you should not be chatting in class, and that you acknowledge that it is/can be disruptive to other students etc - BUT that it is a seperate issue and doesn't give "permission" for the interpreter to do what she is doing (acting unprofessionally etc).
The real issue is that your interpreter needs to adhere to specific guidelines, and is not doing so - your behaviour in class is your teacher's job to address, not the interpreter's.

The reason you'll want to "come clean" about chatting in class is that it WILL be used against you by the interpreter ... so the sooner you tell your parent(s) etc that you acknowledge that you were being disruptive in class the better they can be prepared to deal with that (ie mention that it's the teacher's job to address chatting etc in class, NOT the interpreter's).

Once you and your parent(s) have talked about everything (you have to be honest with them, if you have "provoked" - ie been rude, ignored etc the interpreter etc, you have to "fess up") then you need to request a formal meeting with the principal of the school, as well as file a formal written complaint to the school (and the school division/district) requiring an explanation on the part of the interpreter, as well as a replacement qualified interpreter who will act in a professional manner (RID guidelines) as on official ASL/English Interpreter.

Make sure that for ALL meetings, they hire a qualified ASL/English interpreter for YOU (and your parents if they are Hoh/Deaf as well) - and that this interpreter is NOT a "school interpreter" and most certainly is NOT the interpreter you have for school now. They are REQUIRED to provide a proper certified interpreter for all meetings - it's your responsibility to remember to tell them that you need a certified interpreter each time you book a meeting (don't assume that they'll book one).

On a side note - while the interpreter IS in the wrong here and regardless of your behaviour they don't have the "right" to do what they did...
As one Hoh/Deaf chick to another - chatting during class is a bad idea, it's disruptive & disrespectful to the teacher & other students and WILL end up getting you in trouble... it's just not worth it - espeically if it's gossiping.

IF you want to be treated with respect by your interpreters (and teachers etc) ... then you need to show them respect as well. If you're busy chatting with other students and goofing around instead of following what the interpreter is interpreting it's very rude.

I have friends that are interpreters - and it's hard work, they have to focus very hard to understand what is being said and then interpret it accurately into ASL ... I'd urge you to save the chatting and other things for before/after class - and when the teacher is instructing (and the interpreter is interpreting) PLEASE focus on what is being said. I know it's not always "interesting" - but it IS important because the better you do in school the more options you will have in life. I know that sounds stupid/corny etc right now maybe ... but seriously - getting good marks in school means things like scholarships, grants, bursaries etc (free money towards university) and that is really important now - because to get a good job now you really DO have to go to college/university.

Bottom line ... YES, your interpreter is WRONG, they behaved badly and they need to either start behaving professionally, or the school needs to get you a different, certified ASL/English Interpreter for your classes.

HOWEVER - it's worth keeping in mind that YOU also need to respect your interpreter and your teachers. The relationship you should have with your interpreter is a professional one where they respect you, and where you respect them - part of that respect is paying attention while they are interpreting.

I rarely say this, because I don't like playing the "you don't know how fortunate you are card" but to put things in perspective ...
I went all the way through Grades 1-12 with absolutely no assistance what so ever. I was allowed to sit in the front row (so I could speech read, and hear a bit) - but I was denied any interpreters, note-takers, CART, FM systems, etc ... even though I asked/begged every single month from grade 3 through grade 12. Because I didn't have any assistance at all ... each class I'd have my eyes GLUED to my teacher's face trying to understand what they said, and figure out what I'd missed when someone asked a question (that I'd not heard). It was stressful, frustrating, exhausting, gave me constant headaches and migraines, and had me in tears most nights as I tried to figure out what the HECK my homework even was let alone how to do it (because I'd missed the explanation). I'd be so tired I'd nap at lunch, and as collapse early each night - so I didn't have many friends or get to socialize much. I had to work VERY hard just to understand what the rest of my classmates could hear without even paying attention while they passed notes. Even with that massive challenge, I managed to graduate with honours :)
It wasn't until university that I finally was able to get interpreters for my classes and learned how much easier it COULD have been ... that I could have followed in class as easily as my peers, that I could have been involved in class discussions and not gone home exhausted etc.

While your interpreter might not be "perfect" and clearly needs to review the Interpreter's policies and procedures guidelines ... she also deserves better than being ignored while you chat with a friend about a teen who might be knocked up. If you respect HER then it's highly likely that SHE will start respecting YOU a lot more.

BTW - you mentioned that you "want to live like I won't live tomorrow" ... consider this. My best friend and "almost sister" has a disease called Spinal Muscular Atrophy (Type 1, the most severe form). When she was born 95% of babies born with SMA type 1 died before they were 2years old. Her younger sister also had SMA, and died when she was 3, but every year my friend proved the doctors wrong, so you see, she know's alllllll about "living like she might not be alive tomorrow" - because with every single breath she continues to "beat the odds" in a BIG way.
She could have chatted through her classes, socialized and goofed around instead of doing homework etc - after all if you've only got a short time, you might as well make it fun ...right? Except that she wants her life to MEAN something. Everyday, she's battling the odds, fighting to LIVE so that she can keep building a legacy with everything she does. You see, she wants to be remembered because she DID something that mattered, that she made a real, positive difference in the world (breaking down barriers, helping others, learning things, making amazing friends, etc)

She's now 23YEARS old, is graduating from university (with honours, of course) and is a tremendous inspiration to tens of thousands of others!

She "lives like she won't live tomorrow" by cherishing each day, working hard to make the most of each day (learn as much as she can, help as many as she can, be as happy as she can, experience as much as she can, be the best that she can) ... not by slacking off and gossiping.

WHOA! GUYS! First of the all, I don't behave bad, I am in a B's and A's honor roll that goes to I.B school. I doesn't disrespect her. I only disrespect her when she doesn't respect me. I didn't said I chat the whole time. I only chat after teacher talk and after I finish my work. I already told my teacher about the interpreter, he said "not my problem". One year later, she quit so suddenly that it made all of us happy. Teacher didn't mind that I was chatting during class because I was a good student.

To Anij: On the "I want to live like I won't live tomorrow" I have same idea as your friend. I have one disease which can make my death unexpected, I almost died twice in school then later rushed to hospital. If I goof off in the class, you think I would get A's and B's and stay fine? No, I need to stay calm due to my disease and stay work instead of getting in trouble.

People need to understand my point of view. Almost all of the comment insulted me really bad.

I think some of the comments were based upon your first portrayal of the event. Once you explained it better, that you are a good student, that you are not a discipline problem and that you are an honor student, the subject became more clear.

No matter what the issues, the terp was very wrong.

Reba is the one to heed regarding interpreters. She is an interpretor and is a long time member here.

I am glad that you do. Welcome to AD, and hope that you enjoy your time here.

I think some of the comments were based upon your first portrayal of the event. Once you explained it better, that you are a good student, that you are not a discipline problem and that you are an honor student, the subject became more clear.

No matter what the issues, the terp was very wrong.

Reba is the one to heed regarding interpreters. She is an interpretor and is a long time member here.

you are correct!!

first of all, since you are under 18, its imperative you report this. agencies and gov frown upon this type of behavior, it doesn't matter if it was warranted or not from you. The interpreter is not there to discipline you, only to relay what was being said.

Also I would formally request from your schools office and talk it over with your counselor to get a different interpretor and you feel your current terp will retaliate and need a clean break. Remember to do this calmly and quietly as possible. remember this saying old - honey catches more flies then vinegar will.

I'm surprised that your teachers haven't complained about her. As a terp, she has crossed the line and taken over the teachers' role of discipline. That's a no-no.

It depends on the situation, actually. Some schools get around the requirement for qualified interpreters by hiring signers under the job description of "classroom aide", so it could be the case that the interpreter in question is not actually a professional interpreter. This is why it's important for an IEP to be specific in this regard, so a school can't sneak an unqualified interpreter under the radar.

That aside, that woman has no business being an interpreter and needs to be removed from the position, even if she is just a "classroom aide".

That is so wrong. I hope you can get better interpreter.

Even Deaf student not behaving fully, terp had no right to yell at you or tell you off. If hearing student are allow mess about a bit, being chatting, not following all rules, why not the deaf too? Why they have to behave perfectly? Everyone go through that stage.

This poses an interesting dilemma for interpreters in general since it's their job to provide equal access, and that goes both ways. If two hearing students are whispering back and forth, and others in the classroom can hear, wouldn't it be appropriate to interpret the conversation so that the Deaf student has the same classroom experience as everybody else? Alternatively, should Deaf students be allowed to openly sign a personal conversation and expect it be private just because the other students in the classroom don't know ASL? Is that fair to the hearing students or the teacher?

These questions, like a lot of interpreting related questions, can only be answered with "It depends."

It doesnt matter. It is not the terps job to babysit or tell the student what to do, especially not at high school level. They are to interperet, thats it. Hearing kids screw off in school all the time. Equal treatment goes both ways.

Agreed. The terp stepped way over the line regarding her professional duties. But, let's also consider that chatting with your friends in class is not in your job description as a student. Your job is to pay attention in class and learn.:cool2: Had you been doing your job properly, the terp would not have had an opportunity to step over the line in the way she did.

It depends on the situation, actually. Some schools get around the requirement for qualified interpreters by hiring signers under the job description of "classroom aide", so it could be the case that the interpreter in question is not actually a professional interpreter. This is why it's important for an IEP to be specific in this regard, so a school can't sneak an unqualified interpreter under the radar.

That aside, that woman has no business being an interpreter and needs to be removed from the position, even if she is just a "classroom aide".
:ty: for the explanation.

Things like this makes me glad I went to the deaf school.

For sure I would have been in the juvy if this happened to me...

Things like this makes me glad I went to the deaf school.

For sure I would have been in the juvy if this happened to me...

When my son was in grammar school before I got him transferred, his second grade teacher called to complain that he was rude to his terp. I asked her to tell me what happened. Evidently his terp did more than terp...if she thought he wasn't paying enough attention to her, she would tap him and tell him to look at her. He responded by telling her she wasn't his mommy!:lol:

Back