do you spank your child?

Yes I spank my DD - but it is only one swat to the rump. Just enough to get her attention to say hey - your behavior is unacceptable - this usually happens when:
1st - I have told her to stop and gave her a warning.
2nd - gave her a second warning and a 3 minute timeout
3rd - when I have given a third and final warning and she refuses to behave is when I spank.

I was spanked when growing up and I have turned out to be a fine well adjusted individual.

It depends on how it is done. In my view spanking should be done out love. To discipline, adjust, correct and refine behaviour. Surely there are other ways to do it but i think as reba pointed out it depends on the kind of kid you are dealing with.

My mum used to hit me sometimes. It didn't make me respect her. I don't think it was what caused me to disrespect her either though. I think that was more to do with when my parents were arguing with each other and could get quite violent too. My dad said 'you are always doing it in front of the children' so I blamed my mum for the arguments and we didn't really get on very well when I was growing up. Mainly she just lost control.

My dad never hit me. He just gave me lengthy lectures and sometimes just completely Ignored me. Believe me I would rather get hit rather then being ignored the way he did. He did hit my brother a few times though and he isn't actually against corprol punishment. I think he figured that it wouldn't work on me because I didn't react to pain normally.

When I was growing up some teachers used corprol punishment as it was before the rules saying that it was not permitted. I found some teachers, like my dad, didn't have to hit the kids. The kids were naturally afraid of them. On the other hand there was some teachers that did hit but the kids still disrespected them. Like my science teacher. The kids actually threw snow balls at him. They had no respect for him at all and he was a really bad teacher. My Biolgy teacher didn't hit me but for some reason I was really afraid of her. She would just have to enter a room and everyone would be quiet. I got hit by my PE teacher but we didnt get on and I could be really rude and provokative but then she used to make fun of me because I was deaf and I really hated her. In the end I was banned from her lessons which made me really happy.

I don't see being hit as neccessarily abusive. I don't consider it neccesary either though. Sometimes I think you can be damaged just as much by non physical forms of disapline. One teacher when I was really small used to punish me all the time for things I couldn't help doing. Nearly every day I had to stand in the corner while the other kids were given nice things to eat. That sure didn't help with my self estime and it didn't help that my dad thought she was a good teacher. He probably didn't know but at that age I still asumed my parents were all knowing. Once when I was to be punished that way I just lost it and started shouting at her and ran off. I think I just snapped as her unfair punishments were just too much. Funily enough I didn't get punished that day.

There is nothing wrong with spanking. I use to have to do it all the time. I have two boys and one girl and they are grown now. The reason I reply to this post a new thread is up right now about a ban on spanking.

I was spanked and abused by Adopt father! Totally I hate him rest of my life.

I do not want spank my children and solution another way discipline my children likely eg:
Time out, Send their room, No TV, lose their privallage, No going out friends, so many different ways their weakness (use that one) and simple things talk sort work it out..

Fight or arguing isn't solution sometimes heat debate til Child can be out smart and seek for win the debate... I'm not allow let my child win the debate.. Unless talk importance work it out and solve the problem.

Teenager: Phew, Nightmare for me.. Yes mostly I've seen *ahem* rebelled! Oh boyee..
(sigh) I'm working on this progressing...

Yes I spank my DD - but it is only one swat to the rump. Just enough to get her attention to say hey - your behavior is unacceptable - this usually happens when:
1st - I have told her to stop and gave her a warning.
2nd - gave her a second warning and a 3 minute timeout
3rd - when I have given a third and final warning and she refuses to behave is when I spank.

I was spanked when growing up and I have turned out to be a fine well adjusted individual.

Each parents seek disciplinary techniques that works for them and their child.

I do the same I give my boys the 3 warnings, but I don't use the spanking method too much, mostly taking away their privilege by not being able to play with their game boxes, toys or spending times with friends or any other activities. I don't use time-outs much anymore because it never seems to work. Most of the things I don't like what my little one does is throws a ball in the house and breaks something, I would throw the ball out in the trash after the first warning. We don't even have that much balls anymore in the house. :giggle: I wish we had a garage where we could put all the outdoors balls, We don't have one.

I remember getting spankings when I was young but it was not often. My dad told me he has let me get away with alot when I was young. :nana: Guess it was because I was only boy of 5 kids and the baby of family. Anyways, I hated it. But when it came to one of my sister, I remember my mom telling me spanking did nothing for her. She could take a spanking all day long and won't faze her so they had to find a way to make her mind and be good. They found it in form of her clothes. She loved to dress up and had good fashion sense. So when she was not doing right, they would take her clothes that she wanted to wear and make her wear clothes she didnt' like. So some things works, other's don't. Just have to have trial and error till can find what works for that child.

I don't have kids so I am not the expert. However, I have noticed from observation. If they don't discipline their kids from when they are very young. They will have problems when kids are older.

I have heard some parents say " they are too young to learn." I am of opinion they are never too young to learn, if they know how to do wrong then they are old enough to learn it's wrong and need to taught that.

I respectfully disagree, question of child discipline spanking is not a form of child abuse, but I believe beating a child repeatably is a form of child abuse.

I believe spanking is a good form of discipline when a child did something very wrongful, even if you tried other disciplines and they aren't working, spanking is the answer, but I don't believe parents should often repeats the spanking whenever the child misbehaves, there are many other disciplines options that works for each child, but beating a child is not one of them.

I ahve to agree. Children respond differently to different types of discipline. I have a neice that all you have to do is look at her with a frown on your face and she straightens up. Raise your voice to her, and she is sure to cry. But with my son, he was very willful and stubborn, and he got a swat on the bottom from time to time when he was small.

There are many parents whodon't spank, but are guilty of verbally abusing their children instead. Constant yelling and humiliating a child does much more damage than a swat on their backside.

...There are many parents who don't spank, but are guilty of verbally abusing their children instead. Constant yelling and humiliating a child does much more damage than a swat on their backside.
True. The sting of a butt swat fades faster than the sting of a cruel word.

yeah. as far as an explanation... hey, sometimes just saying "no" isn't enough to get the point across.

Yes, but only on very rare occassions. Such as when they were disrespecting both themselves and myself, and when they deliberately put themselves in harms way after being forwarned. I had to learn, LOL, that children may hear, but they don't always listen. I've got 3; ages, 22, 16 and 5. Had my first one at the tender age of 23.

R

Spanking a child on the bottom is not the same as physical abuse and I would NEVER spank my children with an object, only with my hands. I rarely spank them since they're all growing up but when my children were little, they threw a tantrum at the store because they want something or at home, or if they did something very bad enough such as running into the street, or bite another child real hard and left a mark behind, that's the only time I would spank my children..

I was spanked as a child with a paddle by both of my parents, and I turned out just fine even through it was painful cause I didn't like the paddle board and do I think spanking is wrong? Absolutely not but I don't believe in spanking with an object..

Of all the controversial issues in parenting perhaps none is more heated than spanking. Most of us probably can recount seeing an out-of-control parent in a parking lot or supermarket (if not in a home) smack a child. And if you’ve seen it once, it likely left an indelible impression.

In California, one lawmaker says she's had enough. Democratic assemblywoman Sally Lieber has introduced a bill that would outlaw this behavior with children under age 4. If the bill becomes law, that parent in the parking lot could be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail or a fine of up to $1,000, making California the first state with such a law. The use of physical punishment to discipline children is already illegal in Austria, Finland, Germany and Sweden.

“I think parents only use it because they get to the end of their ropes, "Usually, the problem is that they haven’t set up boundaries and clear limits. If there aren’t limits, kids will just push and push parents as far as they can.”

Of all the controversial issues in parenting perhaps none is more heated than spanking. Most of us probably can recount seeing an out-of-control parent in a parking lot or supermarket (if not in a home) smack a child. And if you’ve seen it once, it likely left an indelible impression.

In California, one lawmaker says she's had enough. Democratic assemblywoman Sally Lieber has introduced a bill that would outlaw this behavior with children under age 4. If the bill becomes law, that parent in the parking lot could be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail or a fine of up to $1,000, making California the first state with such a law.

The use of physical punishment to discipline children is already illegal in Austria, Finland, Germany and Sweden.

“I think parents only use it because they get to the end of their ropes, "Usually, the problem is that they haven’t set up boundaries and clear limits. If there aren’t limits, kids will just push and push parents as far as they can.”

I am glad to know about charge the parents for public spanking their children at CA law. Public spanking is not solve anything but worst. It's not hard to solution is: discipline the children about their behavior and let them know how I feel about their behavior manner to the public. Don't do that again... Promise? It work pretty good mostly only if you remind the child everytime before you both leave for shopping or whatever.

You can see physical punishment and corprol punishment are banned in many EU countries. Can you explain how they behave well without get their parent's spanking? Where it come from?

Child well-being ranks
http://www.alldeaf.com/current-events/38977-usa-second-worst-place-raise-kids.html

I was spanked and abused by Adopt father! Totally I hate him rest of my life.

I do not want spank my children and solution another way discipline my children likely eg:
Time out, Send their room, No TV, lose their privallage, No going out friends, so many different ways their weakness (use that one) and simple things talk sort work it out..

Fight or arguing isn't solution sometimes heat debate til Child can be out smart and seek for win the debate... I'm not allow let my child win the debate.. Unless talk importance work it out and solve the problem.

Teenager: Phew, Nightmare for me.. Yes mostly I've seen *ahem* rebelled! Oh boyee..
(sigh) I'm working on this progressing...

Yes I use positive consequence and respectful bond with my children without spank or whatever. Yes, it's mainly important to solve and work out with children.

Spanking is not an abuse. I was spanked as a kid and got over that. So my oldest daughter was spanked only when she misbehaved.

You said that you was spanked as a child. How do you feel? Hurt?

I know what it alike... very hurt...

When you get hurt then is an abuse.

I don't spank my children for their misbehaved but positive their behavior.

I ahve to agree. Children respond differently to different types of discipline. I have a neice that all you have to do is look at her with a frown on your face and she straightens up. Raise your voice to her, and she is sure to cry.

Yes I did the same with my boys as well.

There are many parents whodon't spank, but are guilty of verbally abusing their children instead. Constant yelling and humiliating a child does much more damage than a swat on their backside.

guilty? :confused: No, we were being taught how to positive our children's misbehavior and agree that spank done harmful.

Yelling/humilation and spanking are the same thing becuase it done harm to children.

Back