Do you sign to your pets?

My dog, Java know about 15 asl words, and still learning new words such as SURF, MOUNTAIN, OCEAN, etc.

I agree, CrazyPaul... not worth it for dogs to wear HAs IMO. They're already too expensive for humans, why spend that much on a dog that you will most likely end up outliving? I hope that doesn't sound too insensitive to people but come on...

Anyways we have three dogs in my family. My mom's the real "boss" of them - she does most of the training. But the dogs do know to answer to me as well. So far they know the signs for "Sit" "Circle" "Roll." Usually I do voice my "SIT" command with them though. I've also been clapping my hands or yelling out 'Hey' so they know to come to me.

I've taught my Maltese dogs to sit when I sign to them but that's about it. :ugh3:

I've taught my Maltese dogs to sit when I sign to them but that's about it. :ugh3:

My new dog is half Maltese and half Poodle.

I hope that you just have stubborn Maltese. So far she knows "no" "come" and "sit."

I use a certain "sign" for my dog if I want him to sit (pointing finger down), and stay (holding open hand up in front of his face), but I also say the words too.

WTF? If I had a deaf dog, I'd rather let nature take care of it. I don't wear a HA so I wouldn't make it wear one.

I would not put a HA on my dog , he may end up eating it! And how does the dog let you know when the battery is dead? Does it point to his ear with a paw??

I would not put a HA on my dog , he may end up eating it! And how does the dog let you know when the battery is dead? Does it point to his ear with a paw??

I guess train dog to tell you that HA batteries needs replaced.

Quite ridiculous!!

Nope, I've never signed to any of the dogs and cats my family owned for all through my life.

Just used my voice and they understood me.

429207_10150651995887803_1981408742_n.jpg

My puppy knows all the basic commands and some fancy tricks for entertaining my friends in spoken english, ASL, and facial expressions. Yes... Facial expressions. She will be 1 year old in a week.

hi i'm new here. i have dog named max.everytime its meal time,my max cant wait.he keep on jumping and go around me.i sign and speak at the same time " stay sit" he understand and follow what i said.But his tail keep wagging.hehehe

My dog is very visual, so I sign to her. It helps now that she's 15, and losing hearing. She signs back, too...if she wants her face petted, she strokes her nose. If I "wag" my arm at her, she wags back.

Of course, most of her communication comes in the form of blatant mind control.

My hearing dog responded to hand signals better than voice demands.

So does mine. I think she always wanted to respond to voice commands, but voices tend to frighten her - she's the very opposite of alpha. She understands about ten signs and responds to them much better than to voices.

The cat on the other hand just wants to play with my hands when I sign. Any moving object means...fun fun run catch attack!

Back