Do you know what this word mean?

Do you know what does Austim means?

• Total voters
go to www.wrongplanet.net for more information on the milder forms of autism. You will be surprised to find that AS (aspergers syndrome) and other PDD's are quite common. I am a self dx'ed PDD NOS

Philipina Voice!!!

...." A friendship knows thats no season,knows no time ,It has a sole intention of bringing people to a time called eternity." Am a teacher from philippines. i live in philipines.Am a filipina.A Building friendship with somone is a matter of choice. Hope we can build a friendship.let our frendship joined in intimacy,mutual benevelonce and warm . affecton, this wonderful gift cuts through all boundaries, societal, bioligal, familial and cultural. Am looking for congregation ,Community volunteers for deaf and mute community for my place ,Coz i know creative projects with some community volunteers will bringing so much joy and inspirations to both the children and volunteers alike. By making children feel they belong to a community of people who love and care for them, to shown how other other sheep could be brought to one flock. :wave:

talk to me!!

...." A friendship knows thats no season,knows no time ,It has a sole intention of bringing people to a time called eternity." Am a teacher from philippines. i live in philipines.Am a filipina.A Building friendship with somone is a matter of choice. Hope we can build a friendship.let our frendship joined in intimacy,mutual benevelonce and warm . affecton, this wonderful gift cuts through all boundaries, societal, bioligal, familial and cultural. Am looking for Congregation ,Community volunteers ,Missionaries, Group Suports for deaf and mute community for my place ,Thats provides support,encouragement and information about deafness to familes with deaf children suports sign language for the fullest possible participation of deaf children at home ,schoo, and in the Communty.Promotes quality edcation to improve the life achievement and well being of deaf and hard of hearing children..Coz i know creative projects with some community volunteers will bringing so much joy and inspirations to both the children and volunteers alike. By making children feel they belong to a community of people who love and care for them, to shown how other other sheep could be brought to one flock.

Attachments

• 26f2.jpg
    26f2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1
choconut1971 said:
...." A friendship knows thats no season,knows no time ,It has a sole intention of bringing people to a time called eternity." Am a teacher from philippines. i live in philipines.Am a filipina.A Building friendship with somone is a matter of choice. Hope we can build a friendship.let our frendship joined in intimacy,mutual benevelonce and warm . affecton, this wonderful gift cuts through all boundaries, societal, bioligal, familial and cultural. Am looking for Congregation ,Community volunteers ,Missionaries, Group Suports for deaf and mute community for my place ,Thats provides support,encouragement and information about deafness to familes with deaf children suports sign language for the fullest possible participation of deaf children at home ,schoo, and in the Communty.Promotes quality edcation to improve the life achievement and well being of deaf and hard of hearing children..Coz i know creative projects with some community volunteers will bringing so much joy and inspirations to both the children and volunteers alike. By making children feel they belong to a community of people who love and care for them, to shown how other other sheep could be brought to one flock.

Can you lipread Tagalog? If you can... is it really hard? Just wondering...

Hey—I just thought of something. Do the Amish get vaccinations? If the Amish don’t get vaccinations and autism is widespread in their community, then that pretty much shoots down the whole Thimerosal tinfoil hat league, right? Magatsu, where are yooo?

Oops—never mind. I got it backwards. Autism is less prevalent in the Amish community. So much for my harebrained theory. :squint:

bigdaddyb said:
I'd never heard of audism, so I did some research.

It's just another word for a VERY common concept in the human condition. Empathy is not a natural part of the human condition. If a person hasn't faced adversity in the form of a physical disability, their natural inclination is to consider themselves superior to those who have. It's not just about deaf/hoh folks. It's about anyone with any type of disability. Actually, it's about the majority who don't understand what 'we' understand.

I don't mean to offend by using the term disability. I can't think of another word that fits.

Empathy requires more than just effort. It requires contact. Most people don't have any meaningful contact with deaf/neurologically disabled/blind/paraplegic/quadraplegic/etc. people.

This stems from ignorance and fear. They don't understand that one characteristic doesn't define the whole person. They also fear embarrassment. I hear this over and over again when I encourage people to meet and know the deaf in our church and my workplace. "I don't know what to say." "What if I'm not understood, or the person can't understand me." I hear this a lot.

Fear can be innocent. Ignorance is hard to defend. People are lazy. Even the workaholics seldom look beyond their bubble. They just don't seek to learn. They surround themselves with people who make them feel comfortable because they are like them. When confronted with 'different' people, they freeze. They haven't built the personal skills/character required to bridge the gap.

Fortunately/unfortunately, these folks are the majority. Those of us who are different have to try and exist in their world. It's not easy. Progress is slow in coming, but at least we make some progress.

If you look at my name you'll see that I'm a "hearie". Here are my 'qualifications' to have these opinions.

Me -- Tourette's and OCD. Lots of folks think they're better than me. I take meds and hide my disorder to try and be more 'palatable' to society.

My wife -- HOH. I don't need to explain this one to the folks on this forum.

My son -- Tourette's/Asperger's. Plenty of folks think they're better than him. All forms of autism are communication disabilities. He's really smart. Some folks think he's retarded. If so, he's the only retarded, straight-A student I know.

First, let me say that I'm all for standing up for your rights. I'm a pit bull when it comes to defending my wife and child against discrimination.

Second, realize that we're outnumbered. We all have to do our best to live among 'the majority'. They're not going to ever 'come to us'. We have to go to them. We have to be the skilled ones. We have to display the strength of character that many in the majority lack.

Third, supporting each other and having community is great. It's a source of strength and comfort. We must never be guilty of the 'bubble mentality' of the majority. We all have to move beyond our comfort zones and integrate ourselves into the 'other world'.

Once again, my desire is not to offend, but to inspire. My views are based on my own experiences, that of my family, and of others who I've seen rise beyond their situations and be more than 'they' said was possible.

Blessings to all

brianb

Brian, I really like your thoughts on this! Well said!

Thanks....

Pvt. Parts said:
Brian, I really like your thoughts on this! Well said!

Thanks for the kind words. Living 'different' isn't easy for any of us. We're forced to play the cards we're dealt. I say "Play it to the hilt". Own what you can own, control what you can control, fix what you can fix. Try not to waste too much time worrying about the rest.

I thought that growing up with TS/OCD and marrying a HOH lady had taught me this. Having a TS/Asperger's child has REALLY clarified my thoughts surrounding this topic.

brianb

bigdaddyb said:
Thanks for the kind words. Living 'different' isn't easy for any of us. We're forced to play the cards we're dealt. I say "Play it to the hilt". Own what you can own, control what you can control, fix what you can fix. Try not to waste too much time worrying about the rest.

I thought that growing up with TS/OCD and marrying a HOH lady had taught me this. Having a TS/Asperger's child has REALLY clarified my thoughts surrounding this topic.

brianb

Are you familiar with the sayings...

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."

and

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."

I say combine the two ... Teach everyone else who got lemons how to make lemonade!

Pvt. Parts said:
Are you familiar with the sayings...
"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."

I'd always heard that it was

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

brianb

Back