Do you know what this word mean?

Do you know what does Austim means?

• Total voters

quiet gal

Reaction score
Do you know what this word mean?

No, the word is not mispelled.

"Austim"

Deaf militants calling those deaf and hearing people austim -- if they don't agree/think like they (deaf militants) do?

I believe was coined by that Professor Tom Humphreys (or Humphries) or was it Dr. Harlan Lane?

Audism versus Autism

Brian said:
Deaf militants calling those deaf and hearing people austim -- if they don't agree/think like they (deaf militants) do?

I believe was coined by that Professor Tom Humphreys (or Humphries) or was it Dr. Harlan Lane?

Oh dear, no no. That word you were thinking was: audism.

quietgal was referring to a disorder that is getting more common. ma'Gatsu did post about it somewhere regarding Amish families and autism.

Autism as classically defined was and is a devastating disorder. It was a severely incapacitating disability that was relatively rare. It occurred in approximately 1-2 infants per 10,000 births.

In this severe form of "Classic Autism" effective speech was absent. It could include symptoms of repetitive, highly unusual, aggressive and self-injurious behavior. Those afflicted had extremely abnormal ways of relating to people, objects, or events. Parents noticed that something was "not right" generally within the first three to six months of life. These children did not coo or smile. They resisted affection and did not interact normally.

In the last decade, another type of autism has surfaced that is often referred to as "Autistic Syndrome." Children suffering from this disorder generally appear normal in the first 15-18 months of life. They do not present signs or symptoms pediatricians or neurologists would find atypical. These children create an inconsistency with previous held beliefs that 70-80% of autistic children are mentally retarded. They crawl, sit up, walk, and usually hit normal motor milestones on schedule. Up until the age of onset, they are affectionate and appear to have above average intelligence.

Children with this autistic syndrome may begin to develop some speech but then, without warning, cease to progress, or begin to regress. Suddenly, these children become withdrawn. They are quiet sometimes and hyper at other times. Often self-stimulatory behaviors (i.e. arm flapping, rocking, spinning, or head banging) develop. In time, some manifest symptoms that are both similar and atypical to children previously diagnosed as "classically autistic. "

While training as a pediatrician, I was told if I saw one autistic child in a lifetime of practice it would be one too many. What I am seeing today is not the autism I learned about in medical school twenty years ago. What was once a relatively rare disorder is now twenty times more likely to occur. Before, "autism" was 1-2 per 10,000 births. Now, current statistics suggest a frequency of 20 per 10,000 births (rates of 40 per 10,000 or higher have been suggested).

In the past, autism was considered a "psychiatric" disorder. We now know that autism is a medical condition, not a mental disorder. Perhaps one of the reasons no one has come up with an answer for autism is the way we have thought of it (or rather did not think of it in medicine).

Most "MD" researchers did not look for the answers to autism because they felt this was a disorder that was untreatable medically. Treatment for this affliction was primarily left in the hands of psychologists and a few psychiatrists.

"Autistic syndrome," though still treated mainly by psychologists and psychiatrists, is also no longer considered a psychiatric disorder. It is a biological disorder that requires medical intervention. Physicians are now just beginning to understand the medical origins as well as the actual and potential treatments for autism.

Even though I believe children with classic autism might be helped medically as our knowledge of the brain's physiology expands, for now it might be helpful to separate children afflicted with autistic syndrome from those with classic autism. As children with autistic syndrome increasingly become categorized as a "medical" problem, separating them from the many negative connotations and hopelessness associated with "classic" autism could be advantageous to promoting research and funding to help these children. The differences between the two groups may be summarized as follows:

Classic Autism
Generally "abnormal" early (i.e. 3 - 6 months of age)
"Classic" Autistic symptoms / presentation
Presumed "static," / unchangeable

Autistic Syndrome
An increasing population of children with "Autistic/ PDD" behavioral characteristics
Current estimate 20-40 children / 10,000 (incidence may be as high as 1-5% of Does NOT have "objective" physical signs of neurologic damage / injury Majority (?? All) are immune mediated, appropriately looked upon as a medical dysfunction - open to potential medical therapyGenerally "normal" early (usually until 15 - 18 months of age) Atypical symptoms Asperger's Landau Kleffner's ADHD / ADD variants

A potentially progressive disorder (if not treated / corrected) May explain the origin of many cases of "Landau-Kleffner" syndrome.

taken from http://www.neuroimmunedr.com/Articles/Autism___PDD/New_Definition/new_definition.html

Oh, boy, now we have two entirely different words here: Audism and Autism. Yes, they are VERY different; one is a medical/psychological condition and the other is a social disease, lol. So which is it, Quiet Gal??

Frist Quiet girl said "Austim", now Gnarlydorkette is talking about Autism and Audism. Geeezzz... so, Austim is a misspelled word?

You guys lost me. :confused:

But, never mind. It's still early for me, and I'm just waking up. In any case, have fun figuring this mess out. :whistle:

:rofl:

Ditto. I was curious because I don't recognized "Austism" while I do know Autism and Audism so I googled it up and there was no information on it. The word "Austism" is found as titles for several websites but when I went to the websites, they spelled it "Autism" so I was like "umm???"
(see: http://www.childrensdisabilities.info/autism/autism.html for example... look at the title "What is Austism" in the top titlebar then compare that word with the one "Autism" explained in the webpage...)

It seems that Austism is a form of Autism or resembles Autism...
or maybe it is just spelled that way because it is a common mistake so it becomes a word that everybody just understands which word one was referring to.
[another example: http://www.nathhan.com/artautism.htm ]

Care to enlighten us with knowledge, quietgal???

Yes we have autistic people working at our agency and they require lots of patience and lots of armor.

Richard

I believe the word Quiet Gal wanted is a-u-d-i-s-m which is not yet in the dictionary but maybe some day it will be. I believe it was Tom Humphries who first coined the word but Harlan Lane uses it in his book.

I am loving this! I am laughing! THIS IS WHAT I LIKE, discussing stuff like that. it is confusing as anyone can see this.

Austim, Autism and autistic are the same word (and I dont know why. )

The point to this is quick answer - people answer question or anyone's comment could either misunderstand or jump to a conclusion.

The word I want to share is Audism, which Tousi is correct.

Now does anyone know what AUDISM means?

I just went to a workshop on this topic and it was very interesting. I am glad Gallaudet will set up the video which will be ready in summer. I am looking forward to it.

Tousi is correct that it is not in the dictionary, but it will be soon! I am not sure what the guy name is, but he is from Gallaudet and teaches Deaf Studies. If his name is Tom Humphries, then that him.

So LET TALK ABOUT AUDISM and what does it means, since I got everyone attention to focus on this word. So hopefully there won't be any misunderstood or jump to a conclusion. :wave:

Oh THANKS BRIAN!

I appreciated.

I'm quoting something from this website that Brian gave out above me.

"Audism- The word (audism) is derived from two root words, Aud- and -ism. Audible means capable to hear, and -ism is a suffix word which means the system or the characteristic of people. (Random House Webster's College Dictionary. 1st ed. s.v.) Audism is the word that specifies the discrimination on the inability of hearing. Dr. Tom Humphries is the earliest known person who discussed the subject."

I guess you are correct, TOUSI! :wave:

Oh by the way, if the movie comes out, I suggest ANYONE to buy one or more. I love the ending of this movie. Made me cry. Beautiful ending as I hope they kept that part because the guy said they were about 98.5% done with the movie. I am exciting for this movie to come out and the word AUDISM too. :dance: *whistling*

;-) Always make sure to use your spellchecker.

No, the word is not mispelled.
That led us to a confusion-- if you are SO certain Austism is spelled correctly, then what the hell is it?! It is not Audism, it is not Autism (one way of spelling it)!!

Tsk tsk.

I do know about Audism for a several years. There was a workshop about it at our DAD (Deaf Awareness Day) last year. I don't think many Deafs did go because some of them said that they were getting tired of hearing deaf militants chewing their heads out.

That word in the poll on "autism", my first thought, was the condition that a lot of people have (see the post Gnarly put up about the condition in this thread). My mother works as an ESE para, with a boy with autism. I used to work with a guy with autism (I remember he repeated a word over and over again...almost drove some people crazy but they always tell him to calm down nicely). :)

Ehh...I knew about autism - but since I thought it was a spelling error...said no, ha.

Well, I just finished Abnormal psychology at the local college and autism was discussed in the class. Very fascinating.

I may be about to make trouble and don't mean to.....

Brian said:
http://www.Audism.org (click on the U.S. Flag)

I'd never heard of audism, so I did some research.

It's just another word for a VERY common concept in the human condition. Empathy is not a natural part of the human condition. If a person hasn't faced adversity in the form of a physical disability, their natural inclination is to consider themselves superior to those who have. It's not just about deaf/hoh folks. It's about anyone with any type of disability. Actually, it's about the majority who don't understand what 'we' understand.

I don't mean to offend by using the term disability. I can't think of another word that fits.

Empathy requires more than just effort. It requires contact. Most people don't have any meaningful contact with deaf/neurologically disabled/blind/paraplegic/quadraplegic/etc. people.

This stems from ignorance and fear. They don't understand that one characteristic doesn't define the whole person. They also fear embarrassment. I hear this over and over again when I encourage people to meet and know the deaf in our church and my workplace. "I don't know what to say." "What if I'm not understood, or the person can't understand me." I hear this a lot.

Fear can be innocent. Ignorance is hard to defend. People are lazy. Even the workaholics seldom look beyond their bubble. They just don't seek to learn. They surround themselves with people who make them feel comfortable because they are like them. When confronted with 'different' people, they freeze. They haven't built the personal skills/character required to bridge the gap.

Fortunately/unfortunately, these folks are the majority. Those of us who are different have to try and exist in their world. It's not easy. Progress is slow in coming, but at least we make some progress.

If you look at my name you'll see that I'm a "hearie". Here are my 'qualifications' to have these opinions.

Me -- Tourette's and OCD. Lots of folks think they're better than me. I take meds and hide my disorder to try and be more 'palatable' to society.

My wife -- HOH. I don't need to explain this one to the folks on this forum.

My son -- Tourette's/Asperger's. Plenty of folks think they're better than him. All forms of autism are communication disabilities. He's really smart. Some folks think he's retarded. If so, he's the only retarded, straight-A student I know.

First, let me say that I'm all for standing up for your rights. I'm a pit bull when it comes to defending my wife and child against discrimination.

Second, realize that we're outnumbered. We all have to do our best to live among 'the majority'. They're not going to ever 'come to us'. We have to go to them. We have to be the skilled ones. We have to display the strength of character that many in the majority lack.

Third, supporting each other and having community is great. It's a source of strength and comfort. We must never be guilty of the 'bubble mentality' of the majority. We all have to move beyond our comfort zones and integrate ourselves into the 'other world'.

Once again, my desire is not to offend, but to inspire. My views are based on my own experiences, that of my family, and of others who I've seen rise beyond their situations and be more than 'they' said was possible.

Blessings to all

brianb

Hi Bigdaddyb, thanks for your support! The deaf communities do need that.

"Second, realize that we're outnumbered. We all have to do our best to live among 'the majority'. They're not going to ever 'come to us'. We have to go to them. We have to be the skilled ones. We have to display the strength of character that many in the majority lack. "

I like your comment on this.

As I made a comment on this ~ "Tousi is correct that it is not in the dictionary, but it will be soon! I am not sure what the guy name is, but he is from Gallaudet and teaches Deaf Studies. If his name is Tom Humphries, then that him. "

Well, I found the paper and two guys who came to the workshop to explain what is audism are Ben Jarashow and Dirksen Bauman. They did fabulous job!

They had few questions on paper passed out in the room and I would like to share one or two questions. I dont want to use all their questions since they share this with people at workshop.

1) Is audism prevalant in popular media? (i.e. television, movies, newspapers, etc?)

I would say yes! Oh, it not important to be captioned. You can read lips!

agree? :sure:

2) What are the common forms of audism in families?

The common in families is when they won't tell us what they are laughing about or the news!

agree? :sure:

Back