Do you believe Labels about expiration date of food, drinks, medicine, etc.

murli108

Reaction score
hi folks, in old times there are no labels... we can smell something like food or drinks if they are odors and then throw them...... God gives us 5 senses....like feeling, smelling, seeing, hearing, tasting.......... we waste our money if expiration date from labels on them.... that is life.....interesting...

well forgive me for saying this, but in the 'old time' which I wouldn't know very well, there are bound to have alot more food poisoning or food related illness that had sicken or killed alot of people, so food labeling that warns of the expiration date create less problems with food related illness. So it makes sense to have food expiration dates as well for drinks and meds etc..

During those "old times", people died at a younger age due to bad food and other diseases.

Now, with better labeling... we know if the food is safe or not.

Of course, other factors are included such as temperature. If it's humid or hot, the item could last shorter. If the item was cold, it could last longer.

back then in old times people didnt know this such labeling whereas today we do so we wont get sick and died from food poisonings. alot of people died from food poisonings in the past.. today we dont die from it cuz we checked the label to see if it is old or still good to prevent us from dying from it. Maybe few didnt pay attention and do die from it but that is few cases compare to the past. :)

I can eat foods that is one or two days overdue by its date-by.

The shops here are not allow to sell overdue foods by LAW. If its 2 or 4 days before the expiry date, they will reduce its price lower for a quick sale.

One day I swollen an overdue due by date tablet, as its only one I need, and I feel very strange afterwards, it explain why.

Foods in my fridge, my husband check its due by dates and throw it in the bin or feed my dog! He is obessed by date - I am flexible though.

I have to say, I am VERY obsessed about milk. I will NEVER drink milk past its expiration date. In fact, I will only drink milk up to 4-5 days after the day I bought it, and then I will toss it! My milk MUST be fresh. If it smells not as fresh as the day I bought it, I toss it.

And for all other foods in the fridge and freezer, if it's been in there for a week, I toss it. Exceptions are water, sliced cheese, salad dressings, ice cream, and all frozen foods, etc. I like all my food to taste VERY fresh. If I have cooked foods and put leftovers in the fridge, I throw them away after 1 week. Yeah, I'm very fussy about my food!

Medications - well...because the date has expired does not necessarily mean it's automatically bad. Here's an article about that: Drug Expiration Dates - Do They Mean Anything?

I rather to have label on the foods or milk etc to let me know when it will be expired.

So it better safe than buying unlabeled meat wrapped up.

I always check the dates on foods and milk, and smells it if it still fresh or not... if not fresh *throw it out in trash*

I am almost like Lucia.

When I am shopping in grocery stores, I look at the expiration dates, if it is like two days before the expiration date or it doesn't have one, then I won't buy any.

I have been like this way since I was little.

I am almost like Lucia.

When I am shopping in grocery stores, I look at the expiration dates, if it is like two days before the expiration date or it doesn't have one, then I won't buy any.

I have been like this way since I was little.

Yep, when I get milk at the store, I will dig in the back of the store fridge/cooler/whatever til I find a jug with the most latest expiration date...like, I would find several with different expiration dates. One would say "1/15", another would say "1/18" and the third one would say "1/20" and I would choose the one with "1/20" cause it'd taste MORE fresh. I like my milk VERY fresh. I am weird like that. This is why I almost never drink milk. My youngest sister is the same way.

hi folks, in old times there are no labels... we can smell something like food or drinks if they are odors and then throw them...... God gives us 5 senses....like feeling, smelling, seeing, hearing, tasting.......... we waste our money if expiration date from labels on them.... that is life.....interesting...

I'm glad that the scientists focus until they found out something wrong that's why we have labels on any foods/drink then we will know what they add foods/drink in...

Why?

Because some people are allergic to kind of chemicals - it could kill them... without labels, we would of die or suffering illness...

I rather to have labels on any foods and drink including dated expired then I will know. I don't buy anything foods where they add chemicals in foods/drink... I rather to buy fresh or freezing foods... and 100% pure juices or water... real tea, not chemical tea...

Yep, when I get milk at the store, I will dig in the back of the store fridge/cooler/whatever til I find a jug with the most latest expiration date...

I'm the same so you're not the only weird one. :)
I rarely drink milk myself.

I'm glad we have labelling on food and stuff because of date and the ingredients. However, I hate the code like [234] on packet because you don't know what it means. For some people they get serious reaction and they have not the faintest of what they're allergic to. It's usually something that keeps food long lasting or some extra additives that we don't need in the first place!

lucia im like you.. i would look at milk label to see when it will expire and get the one in way back and get that one cuz its fresh.. i dont get the one in front as i know they are a bit older.. ugh.. i love fresh milk.. yummy! hehe..

same goes for the meat..

did u know that with deli meats u are suppose to cook them.. not eat them cold?? apparently due to listerine bacteria that are lurking in them nowadays.. they re advising people to cook it first before eating it.. what happened to cold cuts?? no more! bad idea.. anyway they said if u get deli meats .. its better to eat them within 3 days then toss it or cook it so u wont get sick... interesting??

i will try find link.. it was on the news not long ago...

did u know that with deli meats u are suppose to cook them.. not eat them cold?? apparently due to listerine bacteria that are lurking in them nowadays.. they re advising people to cook it first before eating it.. what happened to cold cuts?? no more! bad idea.. anyway they said if u get deli meats .. its better to eat them within 3 days then toss it or cook it so u wont get sick... interesting??

i will try find link.. it was on the news not long ago...

I'm not sure either I understand you correct or not...

Do you mean that the cold cooked meat to eat is no good? If yes, no true. I often cook or oven any meats... We ate for our dinner... Leftover cooked and cold meats do not harm your healthy. I learn the tips from spa... it's healther to eat cold meats than any sliced sausages or smoked sliced sausages if you want them for sandwiches or salads...because of low fat...

Last edited:
I'm also like Lucia. :) When I go shopping, I always ask the person helping me to read expiration dates. I make a mental note of them and attach Brailled index cards or Dymo tape labels which indicate the date of purchase and expiration date.

I had a severe case of food poisoning in 1996. I was sick for a month and spent an additional 2 weeks in the hospital receiving IV fluids. Ever since then, I've been *very* careful about making sure the foods I eat are as fresh as can be. If for some reason I'm unsure of the expiration date of a certain product, I throw it away. Better safe than sorry. :)

Speaking of expiration date on food...I brought half-half cream one day. The next morning comes, it's no good and it smells so bad! I looked the date, it wasn't due until next month. I was like, what the....!!!!! So, I brought it back to the store and get another one with a different date. I wonder why what gone wrong before it expires. It could be poor refrigeration like temperatures has gone bad.

Speaking of expiration date on food...I brought half-half cream one day. The next morning comes, it's no good and it smells so bad! I looked the date, it wasn't due until next month. I was like, what the....!!!!! So, I brought it back to the store and get another one with a different date. I wonder why what gone wrong before it expires. It could be poor refrigeration like temperatures has gone bad.

Sometimes the product sits outside on the dock, perhaps in the sun before it is taken into the refrigerator. Just carelessness...or some other reason.

I'm the same way. Gotta be fresh! Same with other stuff in the fridge. It gets about a week or sooner if it starts moving around, it's history! :eek3:

I have to say, I am VERY obsessed about milk. I will NEVER drink milk past its expiration date. In fact, I will only drink milk up to 4-5 days after the day I bought it, and then I will toss it! My milk MUST be fresh. If it smells not as fresh as the day I bought it, I toss it.

And for all other foods in the fridge and freezer, if it's been in there for a week, I toss it. Exceptions are water, sliced cheese, salad dressings, ice cream, and all frozen foods, etc. I like all my food to taste VERY fresh. If I have cooked foods and put leftovers in the fridge, I throw them away after 1 week. Yeah, I'm very fussy about my food!

Medications - well...because the date has expired does not necessarily mean it's automatically bad. Here's an article about that: Drug Expiration Dates - Do They Mean Anything?

I'm pretty much the same as others and Lucia said about the milk. I'm not too keen drinking the milk even though it says "Milk does your body good". In a way, Milk is good for your health, certainly but Milk is the very easiest thing in your refrigerator to get spoiled and it spoils fairly quickly.

I usually get rid of foods that are past the expiration dates but sometime there's a point where you're so busy and you sort of forgot to clean up the refrigerator to realize that some of the foods are already way expired, yikes! :giggle:

Whenever I'm at the grocery store, I tend to make sure it is in a fresh condition rather than seeing some spots that does not look really fresh even though the label says it is fresh with the newest expiration date on it. Hey, It's better safe than being sorry. It's just how I am :)

I purposely buy foods or eat foods past their expiration date cuz I want to suffer from food poisioning everyday. :giggle:

Dont mind me..I am in a weird mood today.

Back