Do you aim with one eye or both?

I discovered years ago, through bowling that my right eye is dominant and I throw left....so had to compensate as to where to lay the ball down on the surface.....

I have found that I can shoot a lot better if I don't overthink or concentrate too much. It is just instinctive now - probably from training exercises. I know exactly where my hand needs to be.

Its hard to describe - if you can point at an object, you can shoot it - most people don't overthink pointing at something.

Reba, I aim with both eyes.
You only look at the front sight!!!!
the rear sights and target will be somewhat blurred ( normal)
just get the front site on target and look at the spaces on each side of the front sight compared to the rear sight, when even and level, squeeze... perfect groups every time.... Takes time to get used to the blurr but its all 100% normal.

same here. i aim with both eyes opened, looking at front sight only.

I might just have to stick with the right eye only. Two eyes doesn't seem to work for me. I tried it again today, with revolver and with AR-15.

If I wear my reading glasses or my progressive lens glasses, I can see the sights if I tilt my head back and look down my nose but that isn't a good position.

I'm going to see my eye doctor in a couple months, so I'll ask him if I need new glasses but that probably won't make a difference. When I saw him a couple months ago, he told me he didn't see much change in my vision. (The reason I have to see him so often is because I have Sjogren's Syndrome, for which I use prescription Restasis drops, which require follow up.)

Then again, I've been doing well on the targets for all these years, so maybe if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :lol:

Reba, you may just need different glasses for shooting. Are you wearing bi-focals? that could be the reason you need to tilt head back and look down your nose... different glasses would let you look straight and not down like reading glasses.

Reba, I aim with both eyes.
You only look at the front sight!!!!
the rear sights and target will be somewhat blurred ( normal)
just get the front site on target and look at the spaces on each side of the front sight compared to the rear sight, when even and level, squeeze... perfect groups every time.... Takes time to get used to the blurr but its all 100% normal.

Yes, most shooters are told to focus on the front sight because you can't focus on the front sight, rear sight and target at the same time, however it's impossible to aim a gun using both eyes and focus on the front sight. The front sight will be clear but the target will double as your eyes are crossed. If you keep both eyes open most people will gravitate to their dominate eye.

When shooting clays you keep both eyes open and stare at the flying clay target. If held properly the gun will follow the target and you'll hit it. Many people can hit a person size target by concentrating on the target and thinking about stabbing the target with the muzzle of the gun. Works with practice.

Be safe.

Reba, you may just need different glasses for shooting. Are you wearing bi-focals? that could be the reason you need to tilt head back and look down your nose... different glasses would let you look straight and not down like reading glasses.
Not bifocals. I tried both my reading glasses and my prescription glasses that have progressive lenses that progress from reading strength to clear. I wouldn't be able to wear my reading prescription all the way up because then I wouldn't be able to see my surroundings (they would blur).

I wonder...some people may erroneously translate progressive to 'bifocals'.

I also have progressive lenses but they always broke it down into trifocals (three different sets of numbers for strength I guess) for me (distance, middle- works good for computers, and near).

But you are right in the tilting thing, you should see what I do sometimes- not a pretty picture lol.

I wonder...some people may erroneously translate progressive to 'bifocals'.

I also have progressive lenses but they always broke it down into trifocals (three different sets of numbers for strength I guess) for me (distance, middle- works good for computers, and near).

But you are right in the tilting thing, you should see what I do sometimes- not a pretty picture lol.
Hmmm, maybe I'll try my computer glasses with the gun. They have more defined ranges (close, middle, clear) on them.

I also ordered some dual segment bifocals--reading distance at top and bottom, clear on the rest.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try my computer glasses with the gun. They have more defined ranges (close, middle, clear) on them.

I also ordered some dual segment bifocals--reading distance at top and bottom, clear on the rest.
Reba, when you see your eye doc soon, let them know your issue and mybe they know something that will help, its probly all in what type of lense you really need just for shooting, but remember, if someone breaks in or you become in a situation ( lets hope it never happens) but you may not have access to those glasses.... so rely on muscle memory with plenty of practice.

Anything within 15 -20 yards I focus on the target and just put the blurry sight picture over the target. Very fast shooting. For longer shots or more accuracy I change my focus back to the front sight.

Everyone is different. In the end you have to do what's gonna work for you regardless of the experts. We can't all be high speed, low drag, ninja operators. We can however still be effective. Myself I'm more of a moderate paced, round in the middle, weekend ninja. :laugh2:

Most of the guys I know with bad eye sight prefer bigger more high contrast sights like xs sights.

Anything within 15 -20 yards I focus on the target and just put the blurry sight picture over the target. Very fast shooting. For longer shots or more accuracy I change my focus back to the front sight.

Everyone is different. In the end you have to do what's gonna work for you regardless of the experts. We can't all be high speed, low drag, ninja operators. We can however still be effective. Myself I'm more of a moderate paced, round in the middle, weekend ninja. :laugh2:
Its true, at the range I observe people leaning waaaayyyy back rather than pushing forwards ( apparently they never shot anything bigger than a 22?) lol
but if you look around, everyone has their own comfort zone.

Reba, when you see your eye doc soon, let them know your issue and mybe they know something that will help, its probly all in what type of lense you really need just for shooting, but remember, if someone breaks in or you become in a situation ( lets hope it never happens) but you may not have access to those glasses.... so rely on muscle memory with plenty of practice.
That's why I don't want to become dependent on glasses. That's the reason I had lasik surgery in the first place.

I'm afraid that my muscle memory is deteriorating with my PD. Sometimes I don't even have that for walking. I have to consciously think about my steps.

PD :rifle:

I think a lot of people close one eye when they read and unaware most people hav squint hardly noticeable ..I know nothing about guns but going on that premis would it not b better keep one eye closed

That's why I don't want to become dependent on glasses. That's the reason I had lasik surgery in the first place.

I'm afraid that my muscle memory is deteriorating with my PD. Sometimes I don't even have that for walking. I have to consciously think about my steps.

PD :rifle:

whoa.... that's just frightening... :grouphug:

What operation did you have reb....I surrounded by glasses pluse magnifier got pair on me nose two pair on rope round me neck drives me nuts and eye patch so bad eye don't interfere with good eye.

Back