Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

I have a poster put out by the League for the Deaf and HOH in Nashville many years ago. It is a watercolor print of hands in different handshapes arranged in a vase as if they were flowers. The caption is "Words blossom...even in silence." I have always loved that.

Very cool! Can you snap a photo of it? I'd love to see it!

Very cool! Can you snap a photo of it? I'd love to see it!

I'll see if I can get a decent one. It is actually in storage for the time being since I moved, but I plan to go to the storage unit this week-end to get a few things.

Wirelessly posted

Perhaps we could come up with some catchy slogans that would drive the message home. "Deaf can do anything except hear" kind of loses its punch with the hearing because they cannot fathom a life without hearing.

i never liked that slogan, its soooo so pretentious and its confusing and its doesnt make it clear about anything about deafness and disability at all. Dare i say this slogan embodies a total denial of the disabling phenomena which so many d/Deaf people experiences/suffers its got NOTHING To do with 'we can't hear' its much much more to do with how society reacts and they stops us for being us, stops us for having full lives, when i say full i means in totallity with equal chance in everything and to be Really clear, i dont mean we're the same, we never were, all we want is the level playing field in life (education, job, learning outside school/home, pay rates, ever welfare supplment to increase so the chances of improving become attainable and real) bring level playing feild to us, so we can take part in our pace and till then we can be useful too, as does society in both ways (to/from hearing and deaf) is a happier place for all. im not sure whats the terms for it but it has an effect that deafness is a problem, where this is actually misplaced the blame for the hardship is rooted in the way soceity treats deafness, which also come to affect us since they attach the 'ills' of their williness to expect us to assimilate. That symbolic harm is attached on to the badge of 'disabled deaf'.
Id probably confuse you fellow ADers more, I am Disabled and Deaf, but that I mean I am culturally Deaf (getting there as latened enculturated much like DeafCaroline) and I am Dsiabled but of the way society labels me, and stonewalls my oppurtunity to carry out myself as a full fledged citizen with full say in what is affecting my life (our lives), paraplegics did it with less trouble simply because they spoke their language, (simple and complicated at the same time, depending on where you want to view and think from).

So there, maybe a new slogan be alongside something like,
"We are Deaf, We are soundproof" or
"Deafcan't see sound but we can see light, and light travel faster than sound!" or
"let's make invisable Deaf brickwalls visable!" or

something, urgh we should have a thread for this discussion. Hmmm
bad start or what...

so that slogan is shit (not my one the old one, mine's just brainstorming farts), chuck it out
get something new that really reflects Deaf Rights, not Denial of Deafness
(as social problems).

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

Perhaps we could come up with some catchy slogans that would drive the message home. "Deaf can do anything except hear" kind of loses its punch with the hearing because they cannot fathom a life without hearing.

I have a poster put out by the League for the Deaf and HOH in Nashville many years ago. It is a watercolor print of hands in different handshapes arranged in a vase as if they were flowers. The caption is "Words blossom...even in silence." I have always loved that.

Ooohh Nice! Love that one too.

Wirelessly posted

Grummer said:
Wirelessly posted

i never liked that slogan, its soooo so pretentious and its confusing and its doesnt make it clear about anything about deafness and disability at all. Dare i say this slogan embodies a total denial of the disabling phenomena which so many d/Deaf people experiences/suffers its got NOTHING To do with 'we can't hear' its much much more to do with how society reacts and they stops us for being us, stops us for having full lives, when i say full i means in totallity with equal chance in everything and to be Really clear, i dont mean we're the same, we never were, all we want is the level playing field in life (education, job, learning outside school/home, pay rates, ever welfare supplment to increase so the chances of improving become attainable and real) bring level playing feild to us, so we can take part in our pace and till then we can be useful too, as does society in both ways (to/from hearing and deaf) is a happier place for all. im not sure whats the terms for it but it has an effect that deafness is a problem, where this is actually misplaced the blame for the hardship is rooted in the way soceity treats deafness, which also come to affect us since they attach the 'ills' of their williness to expect us to assimilate. That symbolic harm is attached on to the badge of 'disabled deaf'.
Id probably confuse you fellow ADers more, I am Disabled and Deaf, but that I mean I am culturally Deaf (getting there as latened enculturated much like DeafCaroline) and I am Dsiabled but of the way society labels me, and stonewalls my oppurtunity to carry out myself as a full fledged citizen with full say in what is affecting my life (our lives), paraplegics did it with less trouble simply because they spoke their language, (simple and complicated at the same time, depending on where you want to view and think from).

So there, maybe a new slogan be alongside something like, "We are Deaf lets known down the invisable brickwalls with our hands of language" or something, urgh we should have a thread for this discussion. Hmmm

so that slogan is shit, chuck it out
get something new that really reflects Deaf Rights, not Denial of Deafness
(as social problems).

I totally agree. If we can get a clear message out that addresses Deaf issues correctly then we will be on the road to educating the hearing towards equality for Deaf.

when i first saw the "Deaf can do anything except hear" I thought it was making fun of the Deaf... I really don't like the slogan either...

or,
Deaf people are speakers of light, Hearing people are speakers of sound, why slow us down to sound?

nah

but anyway
about the 'Deaf people can do anything except hear" is counter-productive as you see,
many hearing people in businesses would think "oh ok they can do anything but hear" then once its comes along an oppurtunity to employ a deaf person, they first then thing notice is the cost of addressing the so-called 'communication problems' by the time they have stumbled to this, they get real uncomfortable and prefer someone else to employ them...so goes the 'ping-pong' effect, but a forever ping-pong situation!.
again we ought to have a thread discussing at depth about whats wrong with this slogan

I'll just say, the word hearing is used in a very negative context, rather than just saying they even exist. Look at the the very title of this thread, tell me what impression it makes?

The impression it gives is that we don't want to become "Hearing" simply because we're not. Why do you find that negative?

I really don't get how Madison is a troll...he is asking why we generalize?

There are jerks that are deaf, not deaf and vice versa, I see what he means by we are all the same? I feel that way too, albeit I do live a very secluded life style that many deaf people live in.

shushuga - you say you grew up perfectly happy being oral and mainstreamed and now you're saying you're secluded because you're deaf?

A bit of a contradiction, no?

when i first saw the "Deaf can do anything except hear" I thought it was making fun of the Deaf... I really don't like the slogan either...

How about: "We can ignore you but you can't ignore us, Nyah Nyah!"

Wirelessly posted

Let me educate you a little....The fact that you are hearing coming into a thread about Deaf culture without reading up and have not contributed to the topic at hand but have made the last 20 odd or more posts about you and your lack of knowledge earns you the label of TROLL. So unless you have something of substance to contribute go back to your corner and read up.

I get the gist of your message, but I myself was confused, because a troll is someone who purposely tries to act stupid or sarcastic and posts comments to instigate other people, like I am a major troll at times, I'm trying to be less of one, but still yield the fact that Madison was in no way trolling, unless of course you believe he's not a real college student, or that he's lying, which I can't confirm or deny. :):deaf: <==OMG Deaf emoticon!!!

Wirelessly posted

I love that slogan, and especially because some people cannot fathom a world of no hearing I think this would be a great icebreaker, :)

I love that slogan, and especially because some people cannot fathom a world of no hearing I think this would be a great icebreaker, :)

but so far, it hasnt done squat, and it doesnt suggest anything about our values in Deaf culture, too audist

I usually say "Deaf can do anything except hear well" and I never considered it offensive. Anyone can feel free to correct me. I love to learn.

^I saw what some of the other posters said, and yeah I can see why they don't like the message so much, :P I personally still think it's cool, but I the other poster's points are well taken.

The slogan as such ignores does hearing have any value in how one reacts in the real world?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Back