Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

No, we are all not the same. Obviously some of us are able to recognize a troll right off, but the troll doesn't understand that he/she has already been busted.:giggle:

Summer brings out the bored high school kiddies that think they are too cool to get recognized for what they are. We are used to it around here.

I really don't get how Madison is a troll...he is asking why we generalize?

There are jerks that are deaf, not deaf and vice versa, I see what he means by we are all the same? I feel that way too, albeit I do live a very secluded life style that many deaf people live in.

I say this sincerely, and checked my post, I didn't insinuate anything insulting did I? If I did, please point it out, so I won't do it again?

I really don't get how Madison is a troll...he is asking why we generalize?

There are jerks that are deaf, not deaf and vice versa, I see what he means by we are all the same? I feel that way too, albeit I do live a very secluded life style that many deaf people live in.

I say this sincerely, and checked my post, I didn't insinuate anything insulting did I? If I did, please point it out, so I won't do it again?

Like I said, I am not in the least surprised that you don't get it.

Like the others said, if you're truly interested, then do your research by browsing this site. There is no way we can easily sum up in a sentence or two an entire 900 page manual of the problems the deaf has with the hearing world.

Just the fact you asked why we hate hearing people for not learning or understanding ASL shows me that you haven't got a single clue at all and jumped to conclusions from reading just one or two posts. Don't be lazy, go read.

I'll just say, the word hearing is used in a very negative context, rather than just saying they even exist. Look at the the very title of this thread, tell me what impression it makes?

I'll just say, the word hearing is used in a very negative context, rather than just saying they even exist. Look at the the very title of this thread, tell me what impression it makes?

I don't see it as negative. It is simply referring to a majority culture and the danger of a minority culture being completely assimilated.

So many nasty attacks on each other, not going to even digest them, but can we all just chill and take a break?

I thank the poster who created a new thread relevant to the discussions here, that was the best course of action here, :)

So many nasty attacks on each other, not going to even digest them, but can we all just chill and take a break?

I thank the poster who created a new thread relevant to the discussions here, that was the best course of action here, :)

What new thread relevent to the discussions here?

I just sent a PM and pointed to the "What ticks you off about Hearies?" thread as an answer to the question asked.

I apologize, I read that as a new thread, but it appears to be a pre-existing thread, which I'm sure you know about. that's what I was referring to,

I apologize, I read that as a new thread, but it appears to be a pre-existing thread, which I'm sure you know about. that's what I was referring to,

Gotcha. Yeah, that thread has been around for awhile.

ooooo somebody's being a harky one, si si?

vie651.gif

ooooo somebody's being a harky one, si si?

vie651.gif

'what ticks me off about hearies' is well, a really old topic, i wanted to explore how might we determine our own destiny and make relevant to say why we say no to CI, say no to Oralism, say no to hearing's ignorances, and how we ought to politicalise this into an intact, do-able approach, namely how might we adopt Deafhood...

thats what i wanted.... like instead squibbling, moaning, complaining, and sharing the dislikes of how hearing people flatly ignores our existence, i was hoping to start discussion which would lead to some kind of constructive thinking...

so no, to me, that other thread wasnt a pre-requiste in anymore, maybe pre-existing, but heck i didnt even really contribute to the thread (cant remember now, but point aside), the whole thing about that other thread, its old, and unproductive which is why i created this thread...and hope we can discss further and really create ideas, i dont really wish to see more 'battles of wits' its fucking stupid and a waste of time, these ASL/BSL etc hates can just piss off, we already know what we wanted, and half of it is sitting in the unconscious mind, waiting to be realised, and maybe, lead on to a third movement of Deaf Rights...(unsure whats first and second, - mayb Stokoe's discovery of the ASL as a legitimate language, and 2nd wave is the "Deaf Prez Now" as Gallaudet?,,,but the Deaf Way conventions hasnt really gained momentum because of the almagamation aspect seems to be a hinderance...again right now i dont know all the answers (dont we all? ) and yet we all *whose wants to stand up and say "I'm Deaf and I'm Proud" would indeed wish to know more or have a more clearer vision to actualise these goals.

Wirelessly posted

Madison813 said:
Speaking of learning..... Why are you referring me to a troll? Because I'm uneducated on Deaf culture and haven't read enough to know yet, is that why?

Let me educate you a little....The fact that you are hearing coming into a thread about Deaf culture without reading up and have not contributed to the topic at hand but have made the last 20 odd or more posts about you and your lack of knowledge earns you the label of TROLL. So unless you have something of substance to contribute go back to your corner and read up.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

If adult peer pressure exists then that would be a problem.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

If adult peer pressure exists then that would be a problem.

Adult peer pressure most definately exists. It manifests in the way that those who choose hearing culture address their deafness, and the way that those who choose Deaf culture address their deafness.

Adult peer pressure most definately exists. It manifests in the way that those who choose hearing culture address their deafness, and the way that those who choose Deaf culture address their deafness.

You could it put differently. Hearing medical/educational professionals uses the 'professional' status as a badge of trust and expertise and thus so meant to 'chaperone' the hearing culture values for those not sure what to do with their newly discovered deaf children/babies.
This is another form of peer pressure, the peers can be hearing people, pressure can be deperation to overcome unfounded fears. In which case, seeking advice from those who deemed to carry the badge of honor to maintain hearing culture/way.

Wirelessly posted

Perhaps we could come up with some catchy slogans that would drive the message home. "Deaf can do anything except hear" kind of loses its punch with the hearing because they cannot fathom a life without hearing.

Last edited:
You could it put differently. Hearing medical/educational professionals uses the 'professional' status as a badge of trust and expertise and thus so meant to 'chaperone' the hearing culture values for those not sure what to do with their newly discovered deaf children/babies.
This is another form of peer pressure, the peers can be hearing people, pressure can be deperation to overcome unfounded fears. In which case, seeking advice from those who deemed to carry the badge of honor to maintain hearing culture/way.

This is quite true. I also find with a certain type of hearing parent of a deaf child, they are accutely aware of what their friends hearing children are doing, and feel they must do everything to make their deaf child competitive with them. It is a negative form of peer pressure as it results in judging yourself and your child by someone else's standards and circumstances. These are the parents that have a deathly fear of Deaf Culture, as well, because there is nothing comparable for their friends' hearing kids.

Wirelessly posted

Perhaps we could come up with some catchy slogans that would drive the message home. "Deaf can do anything except hear" kind of loses its punch with the hearing because they cannot fathom a life without hearing.

I have a poster put out by the League for the Deaf and HOH in Nashville many years ago. It is a watercolor print of hands in different handshapes arranged in a vase as if they were flowers. The caption is "Words blossom...even in silence." I have always loved that.

Back