Do any of you get the "you talk too fast" complaint?

I used to be told that I talk too fast, but I'm not sure how or why that happened because I've been wearing hearing aids since I was 15 (I'm now 38). The only time I have people tell me that I'm speaking too fast is when I'm having a manic episode due to my bipolar. Rapid speech is one of the symptoms of mania, so it's not surprising that this happens to me. Now that I'm on 7 different meds, my speech is slow. I apologize for bringing mental illness into this thread, but manic episodes are the only time I have people comment on the fact that I speak fast.

I wonder if the way someone speaks also has to do with the part of the country they are from? I live in the Midwest (born and raised) and many of us tend to speak quickly.

Hi all and Hear Again, I am in Midwest too-

I had speech therapy for many years <is this right topic for thread - don't want to be off-topic> because I had very "delayed" speech and I had difficulty pronouncing many things. As a child I gestured and pointed a lot. Later on when I was talking many people could not understand me. Sometimes I still talk too fast and I still find some things hard pronounce.

Sorry if wrong topic :aw:

Being originally from Boston, I definitely spoke too fast before I lost my hearing. Since I moved to the Midwest, I find life the pace more gentle and less pressured.

No offense to people who live in the South, but my experience is that people in the Midwest talk faster than those in the South. I have to :laugh2: because I remember someone I know in my first guide dog training class who was from Texas that tried to teach me how to speak slower, but it never worked. I guess old habits die hard. :laugh2:

I think the people in the Buffalo-Rochester New York area--speaks faster than any other place in the country!

I think the people in the Buffalo-Rochester New York area--speaks faster than any other place in the country!

Huh? NY ppl :roll: don't speak that fast, they speak like British that kind of style. California is the one speak faster more sloppier than the other states.

Last edited:
Yep, some people say that I talk fast.... I suspect part of it may have to do with my Cuban heritage..

Have you heard Cubans talk? holy.....

No, I haven't heard Cubans, but I do know spanish tend to speak that fast, too. Probably cuban is the same thing, like the one guy on AD posted a while ago I listened to his speak too fast. He is probably sounded like came from Cuba kinda accent.

I've been accused of not talking loud enough or too loud. :dunno:

Mumbling to myself I do that too. (good to get it out sometimes) :giggle:

Once in a blue moon I am accused of talking to fast. Usually when I am really excited and can not wait to tell a story. :lol:

Usually when I have my hearing aids on I talk too soft.

When they are off I talk louder.

Hence, I have to be able to hear myself talk. :)

People say I talk way too soft.

Guess we will never win.

I also used to talk softly after I received my first CI. Now I've become used to the sound of my voice and ever since I went bilateral, I'm able to regulate my voice without difficulty.

Dixie good to see ya here MWAH : *

alot of people ask me where I am from I always wonder if I have an accent now LOL I get that question alot at work. My mom always says I talk to loud or I talk to low so I get kinda confused as to which level to keep my voice at.

annie

Dixie,

I would say that you might think that you talk fine, and maybe your mother is starting to lose her hearing slowly. (She might have some wax in her ear. :dunno: )

Or, you have a mumble habit. I don't think that it is bad. Supposedly, I mumble my words... I usually feel tired or unhappy once a while - I get used it when I forget that I have the habit. When I feel great or excited, then I don't mumble it. Don't you think that you feel that way?

BTW, I still think that a speech therapy is fun, no matter what.

Dixie,

I would say that you might think that you talk fine, and maybe your mother is starting to lose her hearing slowly. (She might have some wax in her ear. :dunno: )

Or, you have a mumble habit. I don't think that it is bad. Supposedly, I mumble my words... I usually feel tired or unhappy once a while - I get used it when I forget that I have the habit. When I feel great or excited, then I don't mumble it. Don't you think that you feel that way?

BTW, I still think that a speech therapy is fun, no matter what.

I know I can speak normally, but in a situation where I am having to speak in front of people, I am much more conscious of it. Like a couple of weeks ago we were having to read a play in composition for our section on Drama, and I just sort of retracted into myself because I didnt want to get stuck with a part and mangle it with my speech, also because I have difficulty following multiple conversations without being able to speak I was also afraid that I would embarrass myself.

I know when Im sick or physically exhausted I tend to mumble more, but there are times I get called out repeatedly for speaking to fast. Its irritating to the point sometimes that I get interrupted for speaking too fast that I just forget it and say - nevermind.

I've always been told I talk too fast and mumble, but I never really associated it with being hard of hearing, actually. It makes perfect sense though and I'm having a "duh!" moment. :D

I get it all the time. That's one of the reasons I don't really like to talk.
My family (besides my brother and my fiancé) complains that I'm talking too low. It seems like screaming to me when it's just fine to them.
Without my hearing aids I start to mumble. That's what they tell me at least. Dunno, cause without them I'm pretty much deaf..
But honestly, I don't really care anymore. I make an effort to speak clear, that should be enough. They could go for signing once.

Back