Do airports have deaf services?

gnarlydorkette said:
The last time I wore a goddamn sticker was when I was 11yrold flying to Alaska; I was embarassed with the sticker because for me, it says that I am "stupid and I need help". I can get around the airport myself, dammit. They put the sticker on me because I was "underage" to fly solo. The age limit was 12.

It actually said that on the sticker?... :eek:

Yeah I agree with you on that part, I didn't really feel comfortable having a sticker on my shirt makes me feel like I'm a child or something... :ugh2:

All i know Northwest has a GOOD deaf service.. it's help alot of deaf people but other airplane than northwest.. I :dunno:

gnarlydorkette said:
They always suddenly go, "OH! I am sorry. Okay... [talking slowly] I will tell you when the first-class people sits down, you can come in and sit anywhere you wwwwaaaaannnntttt ttttooooo......"
It always happen in SLC, btw. (SLC= Salt Lake City, Utah).

LOL!! I think you're probably right..

We dont have deaf service here in German Airport. It doesnt bother me really. I get use it becaue I travel alots.

Yes, they only help me if I remind them that I am deaf in first place.

I don't bother to pre-board at all. What I do is when I see a line form, I get into the line, and then I explain to the lady that I am deaf, and if this is the correct flight to this destination? Once that is confirmed, I go into the aeroplane.

I never had any problems with Chicago O'Hare... It is a good exercise there walking from terminal to terminal through their underground networks, but I didn't find it confusing.

I never had any dirty looks from people when I was at aeroports. I guess it helps to smile and be assertive. I think I scared the guy at the ticket counter in SLC last December when my flight to East Coast was canceled. I simply asked if the destination could be changed from NYC to Philadelphia, since I had to arrive next day and would miss meeting friends in NYC. When he said no, I went into a long story of list, and how I would have to pay for train tickets to get down to Philly, etc... He looked at me with big eyes and changed my destination with no problem.

I never had any problems with European airports. It was funny one time, in Germany, I wanted my friend to accompany me to the gate, so we pretended to use my deafness as an excuse. I was given a "accompanied child" ticket, and my friend "accompanied" me to the gate. LMAO... Fun memories.

deaf service is MUCH WORTH USEFUL TOOLS!

Yeahh Those airport have deaf services. I had many time to use the deaf service in airport.

deaf service is much worth tools for deaf people who attend airport. They will put you first service as first class like they will put you in front of line, etcs.

1. When you purchase or show your e-ticket [confirmation number] to front of ticket clerk. They give the ticket to you.

2. If they tried to talk to you, You tell them, "I can't hear" or "I can't speak" nor "can readlip", then they automatically recognize you being deaf person. but they will not ask as offer you for deaf service. Unless you ask them for your require deaf service. They will provide you deaf services for real.

I remembered that Once I almostly miss the flight but I was lucky when I caught flight. I ran to boarding gate after my flight arrive at airport, I saw many people inline, I was cut their line. I stood in front of line by flight attetion, I show my service pass with ticket to flight attetion at boarding gate. I came into airplane. I saw two seat available.. I was like "whew thank god that flight attetion put me first service as first class. Deaf service saved my neck..

You should get deaf services if you attended airport. [[[ :naughty: ]]]

But In case: if ticket clerk did not offer you as deaf service, don't forget that ask front of ticket clerk for your require deaf service before you leave the front of clerk. Enjoy travel and good luck.. ;)

CoolieFroggie said:
All i know Northwest has a GOOD deaf service.. it's help alot of deaf people but other airplane than northwest.. I :dunno:

Northwest is sensitive I hear also. However I'd rather take the long drive accross the country. I can sleep at the rest stops and shower at the truck stops for free on my long drives. And the scenery of the great land is better on the road then from the sky.

Richard

i never see the deaf services! when i travel to Florida and London,England but i didnt see the deaf services oh darn for me but i would need one!

Sara Boyce

This forum about deaf services in airports are interesting, I didn't know that USA airports ( I meant not all of them ) provided deaf services, but, I went there 6 years ago I was with my parents ( was 11 that time ) I am not sure that if Sydney(Australia) International airport has deaf service no Canberra Airport where I live... I will have to check it out. But my hometown airport, Canberra International airport is very easy to find out what time plane leaves etc etc

It is interesting that everyone is asking about airports. In the US it is the airlines, not the airport, that usually provides services. They are required to do so and each airline has info posted on their websites about these services.

Back