Ditch vehicle, you would?

Since I know your in the Windy city, try to find an interpreter that makes more than $50K a year, and they must be "average" terp, then we can talk.

Ok, sure...

I was talked about interpreter at my high school but every school district are different.

sorry for off topic not related to ditch car. I met a sign language interpreter and I heard she makes 100,000 a year and its govt level interpreting. she has a big ford truck with 4 doors and a fancy camper on the back of the truck when we met her and her kids during my friends graduation party.

anyway back to topic.....................................................................................

Yes, the advantage for terps to work for an agency is that agency can coordinate jobs and give assignment whenever they know terp is available. This involves alot work, and they have to cover the overhead cost, that is why terps don't get much pay from the agency. Again, it seems that agency may pocket alot profit, but in reality, they have to pay taxes, they have to pay workman compenstation to cover the terps and all of administrative people who works in Agency office, they have to pay rent for the center, pay for the utilities, pay for the employees who do all dirty paperwork, and so forth. So, in the end, they really isn't profitable as it seems.

If Terp decided to go on their own, they better keep their schedule full or they won't get money after all.
Most of that is accurate. I have worked for two private terp agencies. Neither one offered workman's comp or insurance. One offered AFLAC plans, with the terp paying 100% of the premiums. Each agency had two "office" employees only. They had small one-room offices. All accounting and scheduling was done on-line.

I'm not begrudging them their profits; just clarifying the situation. :)

If that involves dealing with classified information then maybe true, but again how many people qualifies for these kinds of level? Im sure not many.

sorry for off topic not related to ditch car. I met a sign language interpreter and I heard she makes 100,000 a year and its govt level interpreting. she has a big ford truck with 4 doors and a fancy camper on the back of the truck when we met her and her kids during my friends graduation party.

anyway back to topic.....................................................................................

What does your husband do for his business? Landscape?
His full-time business is not landscaping. I prefer not to say for privacy reasons. But it is similar in some ways to landscaping, in that he provides all his own equipment, it is physical work, and he travels a lot.

Being an interpreter is a hard work. It sounds a good idea to run your own interpret business in order to save your money. How much do you charge your clients?
First, let me clarify.

"Clients" are the people who pay the terp. For example, doctors, lawyers, schools, businesses--those are the "clients".

"Consumers" are the Deaf/HoH people who actually use the terps. For example, the patients, students, employees--those are the "consumers".

Clients pay the terp; consumers use the terp.

I charge various fees, depending on the situation. The general range is $25 - 35 per hour, two-hour minimum. Sometimes I charge mileage, depending on the location.

When I work for agencies, I usually get $22 - 25 per hour but the agency charges the client $40 - 60 per hour.

I do some "personal" interpreting for Deaf consumers who are also the clients, either for free, or for barter; it's all negotiable.

I sympathize for interpreters who do not have a health insurance and benefits. It is NOT our fault because it's the system. IF we are rich, then we could pay the interpreters.
I don't blame anyone for my situation. I get cheap medical care at the Veterans hospital because I'm retired military.

Why can't you to be an independent business as an interpreter?
Some work I do as an independent contractor.

If you are an independent interpreter, are you willing to pay your employees for their benefits? Isn't that something? I do believe that all interpreters should receive their benefits.
I don't have any employees. Some private agencies offer limited benefits, some offer none. Terps who work for schools get the same benefits as teachers and other staff. Terps who work for government agencies get staff benefits.

Wow, you guys are making a lot of money from his retirement checks, a landscape business, and an interpreter.
Not really. It's lots of little checks. :P

The landscape work that I do myself is just for one elderly couple. I do a lot of free extra stuff for them because I enjoy doing it, and I don't like seeing them ripped off by other people. Hard, sweaty physical labor is great release after doing stressful mental labor (interpreting).

Beware that there are no retirement checks for some interpreters in the future. That sucks. But, you have your husband's checks. That is the whole difference story.
I have no retirement plan from my interpreting work. I did have a 401k with one agency but it got wiped out. :( Someday I might get a teenie Social Security check when I retire. When I turn age 60, I'll get a monthly retirement check from my military reserve career.

If that involves dealing with classified information then maybe true, but again how many people qualifies for these kinds of level? Im sure not many.
I used to have Top Secret clearance; don't need it now. :)

I see the difference between clients and customers.

My sister was an interpreter at my high school. She never received a benefit. Indeed, she worked so hard. She interpreted for me. After my HS graduation, she also interpreted for a hearing student who cannot talk.

Ah, your secret plans.... I bet it is under the table. I don't care.

It's good for you to sweat your job as a "landscaping project." It's good to be in a good shape.

It's too bad that you lost your 401K. I don't trust the 401K. Many people thought that it should be okay. I am not surprised. They will learn a big lesson when they get older.

Oh, you retired from the military reserve career. I worked for a Navy service in Bethesda. I changed my career for some reasons. Perhaps, we could share the top secret information that would make Bush a big trouble and impeach him. He was supposed to help us first. (He just shoot them and ask them later.) Wink.

I see the difference between clients and customers.

My sister was an interpreter at my high school. She never received a benefit. Indeed, she worked so hard. She interpreted for me. After my HS graduation, she also interpreted for a hearing student who cannot talk.

Ah, your secret plans.... I bet it is under the table. I don't care.

It's good for you to sweat your job as a "landscaping project." It's good to be in a good shape.

It's too bad that you lost your 401K. I don't trust the 401K. Many people thought that it should be okay. I am not surprised. They will learn a big lesson when they get older.

Oh, you retired from the military reserve career. I worked for a Navy service in Bethesda. I changed my career for some reasons. Perhaps, we could share the top secret information that would make Bush a big trouble and impeach him. He was supposed to help us first. (He just shoot them and ask them later.) Wink.

According on my personal, I don't trust on 401K.

...Ah, your secret plans.... I bet it is under the table. I don't care.
'Fraid not. We pay HUGE taxes to IRS every year. Ouch!

...Perhaps, we could share the top secret information that would make Bush a big trouble and impeach him. He was supposed to help us first. (He just shoot them and ask them later.) Wink.
Loose lips sink ships; I don't share secrets. :D

Remember, if I tell you my secrets, I have to kill you. ;)

Anyway, all my "secrets" are pre-2001.

'Fraid not. We pay HUGE taxes to IRS every year. Ouch!

yes i agree that because my wife is an interpreter too, my eyes pop out how much we owe the taxes every quarter adn we pay the taxes faithfully. you guys should be thankful that you have the security jobs and the companies provide the interpreters to each of us. i know these interpreters work hardly to translate the languages for us.

Back