Disney Removes CC from Up rental release

Wow... and to think Disney used to historically back the deaf's need for complete closed captioning-- they even include the sound effects in many of their movies on DVDs.

Why the change in tune?

Mod Note:

Threads have been merged.

Mod Note:

Threads have been merged.

Oops sorry and thanks Mod!!! :giggle:
I didn't noticed that someone is ahead of me.
Should have checked before posting...

It is a shame that Disney are doing that, supposedly for marketing purpose.

i think DVD have rightfully for without CC if you click for languages says deaf or hard hearing and also English sub i always do that all the times..

Wow... and to think Disney used to historically back the deaf's need for complete closed captioning-- they even include the sound effects in many of their movies on DVDs.

Why the change in tune?

Disney is SUPER supportive of deaf people. I went to Disney World last month and got the little handheld device for captioning, it was GREAT. I went to one show that had RWC, not handheld, but I didn't know in advance so I didn't get a mirror. No big deal, it was a pretty show to watch (Finding Nemo the Musical). At the hotel, they have channels 2-51 with closed captions, and 52-100 same channels but with OPEN captions just in case you cannot find the CC button on the remote! :giggle: So yes, they are VERY supportive of deaf people.

Which makes this all the more baffling. Consumerist is a very reliable source, and it's watched by people in various industries, so I suspect this will get picked up elsewhere.

Is the retail Up DVD CC in addition to SDH? I have seen some DVDs with both. If it is, then there is NO reason to take off the CC. If it is only SDH, then they just decided to remove ALL subtitles, which is also a dumb move. But if retail Up has CC and SDH and rental version has neither...that is a BIG mistake.

I looked at Netflix and they also have the BluRay version of Up. I wonder if THAT has CC. Then again I don't have a BluRay player so I can't use that one anyway. What Netflix and other rental companies should do is buy a few copies of the retail one and post it separately as "Up - Captioned" or something like that. Normally when you rent from Netflix it comes right away, but sometimes they have to ship from another center and it takes longer. That's what they could do with the captioned version of Up...just ship it from wherever they have it and it takes a little longer but YOU GET CC.

Totally weird move on Disney's part. Really weird.

This is annoying. I enjoy watching movies with my kid and I need the cc. I'm not going buy a DVD when I can just rent one. I'll just skip the movie. My kid saw it in the theater with his dad anyway.

I hope that it's not a trend.

I gotta disagree with ya here. If they have it CCed on the regular dvd, there is no sense in removing CC from the dvds for rent.

I personally will be demanding a refund for any dvd rented from red box that is not CCed.

Not like that. It's a short term sacrifice while people figure out a way to address this. Not saying completely ignore this. When there is a will, there is a way.

This is definitely a big mistake as Disney has a good track record on accessibility on their DVD and Blu-ray releases. I have no doubt they will quickly change the badly made decision to keep CC and SDH tracks on their upcoming rental DVDs and Blu-ray titles.

Then let us watch and wait and see how quickly Disney will fix the mistake, Banjo.
Any bet when they will correct it? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Then let us watch and wait and see how quickly Disney will fix the mistake, Banjo.
Any bet when they will correct it? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Well, let's hope it'll be within the month or so.

You have to keep in mind that The Walt Disney Company has many, many departments and divisions. They are all operated by different executives and such. So chances are that the rental version was worked on in a different department other than the home video entertainment department.

I agree.. Still, come on, Disney has an excellent reputable with huge financial matters. How can they forget about disabled people who can't hear the sound and rely on vision only.

I just think it's bad business for Disney to not CC the movie. Cut out captions and cut out potential profit made from Deaf/HoH consumers.

Someone over there dropped the ball on this one..:doh:

Back