Dislike my cochlear device after 3 years using it...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Immersed in spoken language with a hearing loss? A lot of isolation and playing guessing games. Not my idea of fun.

Actually, that was the story of my life and I wouldnt WISH that on any deaf or hard of hearing child. RIDICULOUS!

Hearing kids are not subjected to that kind of limitation..why should deaf/hoh children?

I am often in situations over here where there are several different languages involved, and many situations where there are a bunch of people and the only way we can communicate is through an interpreter or through visual gestures. People can and will communicate regardless. Even if it is just a smile or a gesture of assistance or whatever.
I have learned since being on AD, that the only barriers of communication we have are the ones we put up ourselves.

Immersed in spoken language with a hearing loss? A lot of isolation and playing guessing games. Not my idea of fun.

Actually, that was the story of my life and I wouldnt WISH that on any deaf or hard of hearing child. RIDICULOUS!

Hearing kids are not subjected to that kind of limitation..why should deaf/hoh children?

+1 And to think we are considered the 'success stories' that oral-only advocates brag about :hmm:

+1 And to think we are considered the 'success stories' that oral-only advocates brag about :hmm:

I've been referred to as an oral failure. That isn't fun either.

I've been referred to as an oral failure. That isn't fun either.

Well, as a teacher, I would be happy to inform you that you are sooo FREAKING proficient in English!

I know quite a few deaf people who are very happy with their upbringing and education, who are doing what they want to do and don't feel limitations imposed upon them. I consider them to be success stories, not those who may have pretty speech but who are miserable and feel terrible regret and bitterness.

I know quite a few deaf people who are very happy with their upbringing and education, who are doing what they want to do and don't feel limitations imposed upon them. I consider them to be success stories, not those who may have pretty speech but who are miserable and feel terrible regret and bitterness.

The big question here is....what if they are in denial?

If you had met me 15 years ago, I would have told you that I loved my life and so happy being oral-only and even acted it.

At that time, I lied to myself about the reality that I even believed myself.

Just something to think about about those who were raised orally. Deep inside...does anyone really want to be constantly left out and be constantly playing catch up with their peers?

It took me a looong time to really finally be brave enough to admit the truth. That I wasnt really happy with being the one who was always the last one who knew what was happening around me, always having to have my hearing friends to repeat what they said, and missing out a lot in large group settings.

It is just very very hard for me to believe that someone can really be 100% happy with that kind of existence.

I am not miserable, I am pretty happy with my life, I have achieved things beyond anyone's expectations, including my own, I regret not having the option of knowing sign language but I am not bitter. Yet, anyone who is dhh, who is oral-only is faced with difficulties that are not necessary. Being oral doesn't make it easier for us, it is only easier for the hearing people we are interacting with. Yet, visual and sign language crosses all communication barriers if we allow it. No need for speech.

If you had met me 15 years ago, I would have told you that I loved my life and so happy being oral-only and even acted it.

Just something to think about about those who were raised orally. Deep inside...does anyone really want to be constantly left out and be constantly playing catch up with their peers?

It took me a looong time to really finally be brave enough to admit the truth. That I wasnt really happy with being the one who was always the last one who knew what was happening around me, always having to have my hearing friends to repeat what they said, and missing out a lot in large group settings.

It is just very very hard for me to believe that someone can really be 100% happy with that kind of existence.

Exactly the same situation for me. I totally agree.

How are BiBi programs only ASL when English is being taught as well? That is what I dont get. It seems like English can only be mastered if one can do it in the spoken form and that is somewhat a form of audism if not blantant audist.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Hearing seem to think good speech means you have good English skills. It's as if f you have excellent written English skills but poor speech then they think you have poor language skills. I don't think the majority of ADers or the Deaf community as a whole are pro ASL only.

Last edited:
do you actually think that an oral deaf child could learn asl through 20 minute pull outs?
No, but the difference is, they are immersed in spoken language in their day to day life. Most implanted and HA kids function at hoh or severely hoh levels. This is NOT the '80's or 90's or even the early '00's, when oral deaf kids only got 5% of speech through their hearing aids with a profound loss.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-education/87416-mainstreaming-experience-isolated-cases.html#post1779949

See post #11

Another one saying the same thing.

Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:
Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:
i never said that at all. But there are people who value spoken english in addition to written english.

And you make it very clear in the vast majority of your posts that you are one of them. But, of course you would - you are hearing. But it is not about you, it is about Deaf children/people, so to push hearing peoples' values of spoken language is considered blatant audism.

no, it would only be audism if i believed that spoken language was better than ASL. I value BOTH, which is NOT audism.

That is the kind of misunderstanding that makes the word meaningless. There is nothing wrong with wanting both.

Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:

obviously not. She clearly didn't have access to the language around her, that's why she struggled and had to guess. No one here advocates for that.

Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:

I am not miserable, I am pretty happy with my life, I have achieved things beyond anyone's expectations, including my own, I regret not having the option of knowing sign language but I am not bitter. Yet, anyone who is dhh, who is oral-only is faced with difficulties that are not necessary. Being oral doesn't make it easier for us, it is only easier for the hearing people we are interacting with. Yet, visual and sign language crosses all communication barriers if we allow it. No need for speech.

who are you to say they aren't happy? Why do you assume they struggle because you do? That is certainly not universal. There are several oral deaf on AD, even some that have learned sign, that are perfectly satisfied being oral.

Wirelessly posted

who are you to say they aren't happy? Why do you assume they struggle because you do? That is certainly not universal. There are several oral deaf on AD, even some that have learned sign, that are perfectly satisfied being oral.

It doesn't matter. Apparently, we are deluded/brainwashed/etc.

I find it funny that it hasn't occurred to anyone that a
person can be happy in more than ONE environment/way of growing up. Why must it always be one way or the other?

Wirelessly posted

I was not the one who mentioned they aren't happy nor do I say that I am miserable. I said that we are faced with difficulties that are not necessary. How would you know those difficulties are there or not?

Perhaps, you're now trying to convince yourself otherwise?

Perhaps, you're now trying to catch up with your Deaf peers?

And are you currently always 100% happy with your Deaf existence?

Let's face it no one is really 100% happy all the time in any environment.

Perhaps, you're now trying to convince yourself otherwise?

Perhaps, you're now trying to catch up with your Deaf peers?

And are you currently always 100% happy with your Deaf existence?

Let's face it no one is really 100% happy all the time in any environment.

I seriously doubt you're right about shel. That is your tagline, you always use "perhaps" this or that, pulling people down if they say they're happy and all, with minimal equipment and using ASL. I say FUCK YOU to people like you.

I am 100% happy, really.

Give you an example here.

Two nights ago I walked four miles to a bus stop, stopped to get change and that took longer than expected.

I come out and see the bus - I start jogging over, and it started leaving! Being the athletic prowess I am, I RAN. Thankfully I chased the bus down. I was able to board it, paid.

It went north, and I wanted to go south. FUCK. The bus driver also made it clear where he was going. I just didn't bother to lip read.

I got off at the next stop 2 miles away. I had missed the last bus of the day because this bus went north and the southbound bus I wanted to be on left 2 minutes later and looked exactly the same.

Do I mope over that? No. I was pissed at myself. Not because I was deaf. Because I had at least FOUR ways to know what was going on, and I did not pay attention to them.

But now I laugh at the experience. A great learning experience.

BTW: I hopped onto the bus in the morning.

Double BTW: I'll be watching you and your shady tactics. I'll be calling it out. I don't appreciate it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back