Discrimination??

haven't experienced it so far. *knocks on wood*

ive read ur posts and i totally agree with so many of u -- discrimination IS widespread -- i do feel badly for my mom whos hearie and she has had to deal with my rants abt hearing ppl and how anti hearie i can become and dealt with so much depression -- i used to work with the county and had a boss from HELL -- she would have me do SO MUCH more work than my equal hearing co-workers and on TOP of that ADDED in some data entry duties as my other duty i was to do and have specifically told me there would be 2 ppl (me and someone else) that would do the data entry for reports and ends up its MOI that does it all and i get hit with CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for those that may be confused) from years of typing and VERY ergonomically incorrect workstation and my old supervisor still wont let up so that lead me to file 3 different complaints and went by chain of command to no avail til it ultimately went to the EEOC office (2nd and 3rd time) and was investigated and found to "have no provable discrimination" which i knew was blantant BS -- i loved my job but HATED my supervisor gawd -- so that lead me to decide screw it all -- i give up and im going back to school and get the degree ive always wanted and i didnt give a flying fuk if im already in my 30s!!! and when i get that degree -- i cant wait to see my old supervisor's face when i get that degree and go back to the county (if i do that is if im still here at that point) and crap in her pants and ill be going LAFFING all the way!!!!! :laugh2: and say :madfawk: "go to hell" -- on a sidenote -- my mom knows her and said shes known in the county as one of the WORST supervisors anyone can be under!!!!!! and im not at all surprised abt it :roll:

I remember while I was in HS, I wanted to work in an Animal Hospital because I love animals..so my grandmother helped me try to apply for a job in a animal hospital near my home and then we got a call from the supervisor or boss there saying that she can't have me work there because of my deafness. Of course, my grandmother wasn't happy about that and told her that she will file a complaint against her for discrimination..The woman obviously got scared because she sent me a letter saying she apologized for doing this and said I was more than welcome to go there and start working there. I said :madfawk: NO thanks. I wouldnt want to work in a place where there are full of discrimination.

there always an harsh reality of finding jobs they don't want deaf poeple to work, they just want us to be an invaild, myself i have tried over the years and have tried harder this past year, i have not have a successful achivement in finding a job, sadly enuff im stuck. But im trying again and again and can be so frustrating. I hope we will find a job someday where WE ALL ARE ACCEPTED and QUAILFIED! not based on our Deafness, but on our moviation! :mad2: :wtf: these poeple need to relize we also human beings too! *RME*

Originally posted by Teekie
I remember while I was in HS, I wanted to work in an Animal Hospital because I love animals..so my grandmother helped me try to apply for a job in a animal hospital near my home and then we got a call from the supervisor or boss there saying that she can't have me work there because of my deafness. Of course, my grandmother wasn't happy about that and told her that she will file a complaint against her for discrimination..The woman obviously got scared because she sent me a letter saying she apologized for doing this and said I was more than welcome to go there and start working there. I said :madfawk: NO thanks. I wouldnt want to work in a place where there are full of discrimination.

Wow. The lady is idiot, period. :crazy: I don't blame you.:shock:

Discrinimation is always there everywhere we go. For example, East Coast is strongly aware of ADA laws because the states are closer to DC area, but other states on other side of this US country rarely recognize ADA laws even though some of people are somewhat familiar with ADA laws, but they don't bother it at all. Getting a job in Las Vegas or Tucson is very difficult unlike getting a job in Cleveland or Rochester--it is a fact, but depends on where you live, getting a job is tough for Deaf individuals, of course.

Hearing people don't understand what Deaf people can do except hear. They often tend to ask them if they can talk or hear the phones. Come on, they don't know nothing about Deaf culture and their needs. What about TTYs, pagers, IMs, so on? Communication is the important key for everyone, but hearing employers are still awkward to deal with Deaf coworkers. Of course, some of them know how to use sign language whereas they don't.

Right now ADA has loopholes on it, the companies start to take advantage of that by not hiring qualified Deaf employees. It is more difficult today than years ago.

Originally posted by Fly Free
ive read ur posts and i totally agree with so many of u -- discrimination IS widespread -- i do feel badly for my mom whos hearie and she has had to deal with my rants abt hearing ppl and how anti hearie i can become and dealt with so much depression -- i used to work with the county and had a boss from HELL -- she would have me do SO MUCH more work than my equal hearing co-workers and on TOP of that ADDED in some data entry duties as my other duty i was to do and have specifically told me there would be 2 ppl (me and someone else) that would do the data entry for reports and ends up its MOI that does it all and i get hit with CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for those that may be confused) from years of typing and VERY ergonomically incorrect workstation and my old supervisor still wont let up so that lead me to file 3 different complaints and went by chain of command to no avail til it ultimately went to the EEOC office (2nd and 3rd time) and was investigated and found to "have no provable discrimination" which i knew was blantant BS -- i loved my job but HATED my supervisor gawd -- so that lead me to decide screw it all -- i give up and im going back to school and get the degree ive always wanted and i didnt give a flying fuk if im already in my 30s!!! and when i get that degree -- i cant wait to see my old supervisor's face when i get that degree and go back to the county (if i do that is if im still here at that point) and crap in her pants and ill be going LAFFING all the way!!!!! :laugh2: and say :madfawk: "go to hell" -- on a sidenote -- my mom knows her and said shes known in the county as one of the WORST supervisors anyone can be under!!!!!! and im not at all surprised abt it :roll:

I support you all the way. Hearing people are fucking lazy period. I have seen them at workplace for years. RME :madfawk:

Originally posted by Waz
Hi Buddies

Just like to see all the feedback from all of you if u either face any Discrimination at work/interview or elsewhere??

unfortunately i face alot of disrimination at the interview few year ago when i applied for Fork Lift Truck and they said i can have an interview coz it match to my training and Qualification i had in the past, but later they ask me why my interpreter here with me, as i told them i am deaf and they said ermm bear with me for a moment and few mins later they said unfortunately i cannot apply u a job coz of ur deafness as u require to hear the sound, as i told them been a driver is abt vision not listening, when u drive u do require to hear the sound or u require to use the vision which one do u recommed ? he said ermm i didnt know deaf can drive, i was so fumin and said fuck u in sign language as the interpreter didnt tell the last bit wat i said to the manager... There other Discrimination i had face last year, one day there was a advertistment require a british sign language tutor, so i apply for that sayin i am a qualifed BSL tutor so i attend to the interview and the bloke just told me are u deaf, i said yeah i am, and he said ermm how can u managed to teach hearing people to learn sign language as u cant talk, then i said wat can i ask u one thing, does BSL involded Oral ?? he said ermm no, excatly BSL is abt Visual and Body Language, and he said ermm i am sorry but i require a hearing tutor, and i said fair enought but remember havin a hearing tutor not allowed to use oral in the class as the hearing have to understand deafness with sign language and think of been in silent world for 2 hrs, the way i teach by actor/ bodylanguage and drawing, no writing(english) at all, he said right, i hope u can find another place so sorry abt that.. that does pissed me off alway so now i am workin in deaf world, a part time bsl tutor for hard of hearing and profound deafness who cannot sign, and full time nurse at deaf hospital for mental health!

Gawd.. Those people in England are not keen about hiring Deaf people. I heard that getting a job in Europe is more difficult for Deaf people than in USA. I am glad that you have jobs to keep you busy. Other people are unfortunate.

Originally posted by Oddball
Right now ADA has loopholes on it, the companies start to take advantage of that by not hiring qualified Deaf employees. It is more difficult today than years ago.

Oddball -- LOOPHOLES qq like what qq ive looked for them in teh ADA manuals and YES theyre UPDATED and published 2002 for the workforce -- point them out to me please and PM/IM me if u wanna and we can talk further abt this -- gracias

Originally posted by PSORules79
tell me about it, i experienced a lot of discrimination.

me too grrrrrrrrrrrr to some private company. they never think of wheelchair accessable to allow disbility to get a job.

Yeah...it depends on the companies you're applying for jobs at. I would say the choices of companies I've chosen were lucky. I worked at a State Hospital on and off for 8 years -- I was hired right away with no problems at all. Also, I was hired to work at Paramount Studios in 1991 where I worked for 5 months -- it was great fun.
Just be persistent and stubborn -- keep on pestering the companies that you've applied at until they've given you an interview. I know it's frustrating due to the fact of being deaf, but that shouldn't keep you from landing a job in which you will be well qualified for.

I have to agree that workplace discrimination happens very often because there's low awareness of the capabilities of deaf people. We can do everything but hear on the phone and some deaf people can do that too. I think it's important that we do our best to raise awareness of this issue with hearing people.

If you really want a job, and they won't let you on the grounds of your deafness then tell them about the anti-discrimination laws that are in place. If there aren't any, there SHOULD be!

Back