Disability Advisor Help

You are forgetting that Jasin is not young or angry.

He told me so when I tried to stand up for him.

It is very offensive to him if anyone thinks this of him.

:lol: If he is not young and angry, there is no excuse, then.

Telecommunications for the deaf can mean any form of telecommunication and does not specify a TTY. That is where you are getting confused.

And this stupid hearie is trying to edcuate an ignorant deaf person. Obviously, you are incapable, however, of learning.

You obviously are mistaken about several things regarding "your rights". You are going to have a tough life ahead of you if you don't learn to listen to people who know a bit more about certain things than you do. You could not possibly have learned as much as you think you know in the few short years you've been on this earth.:roll:

And you might try reading my posts a little more carefully, as well. I did not say that the deaf were not entitled to have a tty. I said that the college is under no obligation or mandate to have a tty if they offer other forms of communication that are accessible to the deaf.

:roll:

Wrong, "telecommunications for the deaf" is specifically defined; telecommunications for the deaf is not just any communication device or method a deaf person uses.

Go back and reread the Telecommunications Act and the Telecommunications Act Accessibility Guideline.

TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT ACCESSIBILITY GUIDELINES

It is extremely evident in my postings, just as it is extremely evident that you have no idea what you are talking about.

if you want to believe that then thats your choice, but I have yet to see anything creditable or of substance.

:roll:

Wrong, "telecommunications for the deaf" is specifically defined; telecommunications for the deaf is not just any communication device or method a deaf person uses.

Go back and reread the Telecommunications Act and the Telecommunications Act Accessibility Guideline.

TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT ACCESSIBILITY GUIDELINES

I did not say that it was any devise used to communicate. I said it was any devise that could be used for telecommunication purposes. That includes more than a TTY. Really, jasin, you are beginning to get tiresome.

if you want to believe that then thats your choice, but I have yet to see anything creditable or of substance.

That's because you don't know what to look for. You wouldn't know "credible" or "of substance" if it jumped up and bit you in the arse.

I appreciate everybody's input... Jillio and Jasin's input is ALL appreciated. Please stop debating in my thread! I want all of us in the deaf community (including hearies who work with/for the deaf) to work together to make life easier for everyone, hearing, HOH and deaf alike.
Back to the original issue- what are the rights of those like me in situations like this one?

I appreciate everybody's input... Jillio and Jasin's input is ALL appreciated. Please stop debating in my thread! I want all of us in the deaf community (including hearies who work with/for the deaf) to work together to make life easier for everyone, hearing, HOH and deaf alike.
Back to the original issue- what are the rights of those like me in situations like this one?

In the language of the ADA, you have the right to 'reasonable accommmodation". Requesting that you use email to communicate for purposes that hearing individuals would use the phone is certainly a reasonable accommodation request. Given the fact that the only reason the disability services office could cite for not making an accommodation is undue cost or hardship for the college. Using email for communication costs the university absolutely nothing, therefore, they have no basis for refusing your request. This man is completely out of line, and needs to get a wake up call before his actions result in a lawsuit against the university that will cost them thousands to defend. I'm sure they will see the logic in providing an accommodation which costs nothing over a lawsuit that will cost thousands.

I've never used a TTY machine myself. If I had one I probably would not even know how to use it. :laugh2: Now a days most of us deafs are using email, text messaging, and vrs. I have totally bypassed the need for an interpreter many times by just simply using email.

I agree. I love the WWW and email!!!

Back