Disability Advisor Help

TheIronQueen

Reaction score
The disability advisor at my college is a piece of trash! I have contacted him several times about being able to take my placement test in the disability center because that is my preference. Every time I email him, he will reply to my question but asks me to CALL him to schedule an appointment or for further questions. He has all my audiograms and documents. All clearly state that my deafness is too severe to successfully use a telephone, ect.
Is it just me or is a disability center supposed to work on accommodating the needs of special individuals in any enviroment?

The disability advisor at my college is a piece of trash! I have contacted him several times about being able to take my placement test in the disability center because that is my preference. Every time I email him, he will reply to my question but asks me to CALL him to schedule an appointment or for further questions. He has all my audiograms and documents. All clearly state that my deafness is too severe to successfully use a telephone, ect.
Is it just me or is a disability center supposed to work on accommodating the needs of special individuals in any enviroment?

My Director of Department of Disability Services at Monmouth University is a male too.

In the past, I have emailed him several times using MU email account and WebAdvisor. He was helpful. He contacted my Computer Science advisor and have interpreter to be there for me whenever I need to go to the appointment.

He did asked me for audiogram and documents. So I went to audiology and took the test then mailed him the documents.

Next I will have an appointment for math placement test on the computer at DDS in MU sometime later.

I think my Director of DDS is alright.

TheIronQueen, maybe you can email him to make an appointment with him to have placement test in the disability center. Ask him for date and time for you to show up. Keep bugging him if you don't get email from him for a week.

Nope, you have every right to be upset with this individual. I suggest you email him one more time, and let him know that if he does not respond appropriately, and requests you to call to set up an appointment despite having records available that state you cannot use the telephone, you will be filing a complaint with the Dept. of Education and the Dept. of Justice for ADA infractions.

To be compliant with ADA law they need to have a tty machine in the office somewhere. I would file a complaint.

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Disability Rights Section - NYAV
Washington, D.C. 20530
(800) 514-0383 (TTY)

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202-1100
(202) 245-6800; 1-800-421-3481
Facsimile: (202) 245-6840
TDD: (877) 521-2172
Email: OCR@ed.gov
Web: http://www.ed.gov/ocr

Also,

ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act

How to File a Discrimination Complaint with the Office for Civil Rights

My Director of Department of Disability Services at Monmouth University is a male too.

In the past, I have emailed him several times using MU email account and WebAdvisor. He was helpful. He contacted my Computer Science advisor and have interpreter to be there for me whenever I need to go to the appointment.

He did asked me for audiogram and documents. So I went to audiology and took the test then mailed him the documents.

Next I will have an appointment for math placement test on the computer at DDS in MU sometime later.

I think my Director of DDS is alright.

TheIronQueen, maybe you can email him to make an appointment with him to have placement test in the disability center. Ask him for date and time for you to show up. Keep bugging him if you don't get email from him for a week.

The audiogram stuff is pretty standard now a days. Most of the time they don't even need them for documentation, but rather, their records.

I've never used a TTY machine myself. If I had one I probably would not even know how to use it. :laugh2: Now a days most of us deafs are using email, text messaging, and vrs. I have totally bypassed the need for an interpreter many times by just simply using email.

I use relay online - att.com/relay for any calls to dr or colleges. What I love is I can print a hardcopy of the call. I would first start the call and inform him of your limitations and what accommodations you need. Also get a copy of everything you fill out in his office.

Many years ago I had to go into the office to fill out the paperwork. I have had many good counselors, but I also make sure I was incharge of it. If he said you can't have an accommodation ask for it written on paper and why. That way you can check it out. Good luck and hope you get everything worked out.

The thing is my mom and I already had a face to face meeting with this guy. we sat down in his office and discussed all my limitations, including phone use... Then he asks me to use the phone to contact him repeatedly? If he's already going to have to check his email, how is one more email concerning scheduling a testing time a problem for him?

To be compliant with ADA law they need to have a tty machine in the office somewhere. I would file a complaint.

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Disability Rights Section - NYAV
Washington, D.C. 20530
(800) 514-0383 (TTY)

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202-1100
(202) 245-6800; 1-800-421-3481
Facsimile: (202) 245-6840
TDD: (877) 521-2172
Email: OCR@ed.gov
Web: Office for Civil Rights

Also,

ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act

How to File a Discrimination Complaint with the Office for Civil Rights

No,they don't. They have to have an alternative method of communication. Email fulfills that requirement, as will accepting realy calls, or the technology for VRS.

The audiogram stuff is pretty standard now a days. Most of the time they don't even need them for documentation, but rather, their records.

Again, incorrect. In order to receive services through disability services, the office must have documentation of the disability on file, as well as self disclosure statements, requests for accommodations, and a realease of information statement. If all of these documents are not on file, the institution can refuse accommodation until the time that the file is complete. An audiogram serves as documentation of disability.

The thing is my mom and I already had a face to face meeting with this guy. we sat down in his office and discussed all my limitations, including phone use... Then he asks me to use the phone to contact him repeatedly? If he's already going to have to check his email, how is one more email concerning scheduling a testing time a problem for him?

I agree. If he returns your email asking you to call for an appointment, it would be jsut as simple for him to email you with an appointment time instead. This guy needs a wake up call.

sounds like this guy still thinks it's 1970's. WAKE UP! IT'S EMAIL NOW!

There are a few people who are like this. I explain to them if they ask to call that e-mail is the best way to communicate with them that you need to do this through e-mail. Tell the person that this is the way you schedule appointments.

I know it is frustrating. You can have your mom call him and set him straight to e-mail you to set up an appointment.

If this doesn't work. E-mail the Dean about it.

Again, incorrect. In order to receive services through disability services, the office must have documentation of the disability on file, as well as self disclosure statements, requests for accommodations, and a realease of information statement. If all of these documents are not on file, the institution can refuse accommodation until the time that the file is complete. An audiogram serves as documentation of disability.

Well, you never dealt with the disability office at a college personally as a deaf person, so what would you know about what is standard or not for a deaf student??? I've sat through a number of interviews at disability offices and they all required audiograms.
:roll:

No,they don't. They have to have an alternative method of communication. Email fulfills that requirement, as will accepting realy calls, or the technology for VRS.

It is not an "alternative method". It's insult to the deaf to say such things. There are laws concerning this, see: 28 CFR.

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=137700

I'm sure you'll try an contradict this as well.

There are a few people who are like this. I explain to them if they ask to call that e-mail is the best way to communicate with them that you need to do this through e-mail. Tell the person that this is the way you schedule appointments.

I know it is frustrating. You can have your mom call him and set him straight to e-mail you to set up an appointment.

If this doesn't work. E-mail the Dean about it.

Take a look at "auxiliary aid" as defined under 28 C.F.R. §35.160. The "telecommunication devices for deaf persons" i.e. tty, is listed.

NAD, National Association of the Deaf, state and local colleges - National Association of the Deaf

Last edited:
Nope, you have every right to be upset with this individual. I suggest you email him one more time, and let him know that if he does not respond appropriately, and requests you to call to set up an appointment despite having records available that state you cannot use the telephone, you will be filing a complaint with the Dept. of Education and the Dept. of Justice for ADA infractions.

yep, second that, embarrass that university too, chances are good that if you proved right as a result, they'd sack him

Just ignore Jillio!! She's clueless when it comes to the needs of a deaf college student. She don't even respect the deaf, which is evident by her need to sit on here and always try an contradict anything a deaf person says.

Take a look at "auxiliary aid" as defined under 28 C.F.R. §35.160. The "telecommunication devices for deaf persons" i.e. tty, is listed.

NAD, National Association of the Deaf, state and local colleges - National Association of the Deaf

Yes, jasin, tty is listed. But they do not have to provide a tty if they provide alternative means of communication, I.E. email, availability of relay, VRS, etc. You really have no idea what you are talking about.

And before you start telling people to ignore me, you might make sure that you know where I work and what I do. Trust me, I know quite a bit more about providing services for the deaf in a college atmosphere than you at your age and level of inexperience at even using accommodations could possibly know.

You are so intent on increasing the deaf/hearing divide that you are busy judging people based on hearing status, rather than on what you need to be looking at. You are no better than an audist in your attitudes. In the process, you are telling people to ignore advise that could very easily solve the problem they are having. Great way to help the deaf individual towards independence!:roll:

Re: my respect for the deaf: once again, you have no idea what you are talking about. I respect people as people. Some deserve respect, some don't. Hearing status has nothing to do with it. Quite obviously, you are one of those that has such a big chip on his shoulder, and is so angry about his hearing status that you have come to believe that your deafness alone entitles you to be handled with kid gloves and to receive special treatment at the hands of all. Respect is a 2 way street. If you expect to get it, you must give it.

BTW...I have been a member of the NAD for many years. Can you say the same?

Well, you never dealt with the disability office at a college personally as a deaf person, so what would you know about what is standard or not for a deaf student??? I've sat through a number of interviews at disability offices and they all required audiograms.

You need to get your information straight. Yes, they do require audiograms. You said previously that they don't need audiograms except for their own records. You are mistaken about that. Audiograms are needed as documentation of a disability according to federal guidelines.

And before you start telling me what I know and don't know about disability services, you might want to get a little clearer picture of my background. I daresay, I know quite a bit more about the procedure than you do.

You have no idea what I've done or haven't done. You are pulling assumptions out of your rear end that are completely and utterly incorrect. First off, I never stated that the disability office did not need an audiogram....you did. I simply explained why, according to federal guidelines, they needed the audiogram that you stated was not necessary. That in and of itself shows how little you know about what you are attempting to talk about.

Secondly, unless you have some advise for this poster that can actually help them solve their difficulty, I suggest you take your pettiness and that huge chip on your shoulder, and post elsewhere.

Thirdly, when I correct misinformation, it has absolutely nothing to do with the hearing status of the individual. It has to do with the fact that the information being given as fact is indeed wrong. Are you suggesting that I should allow a deaf individual to continue to function under misconceptions just because they are deaf? How respectful is that? You really need to get a grip.

Back