Detroit files for bankruptcy

I like to answer but I had hesitate because concern with drive me into politically motivated and troll behavior.

SF and Chicago don't have financial crisis that leading to bankruptcy, similar to Detroit. I'm sure that SF and Chicago have some budget problem, but pretty far from bankruptcy.

None of cities and counties are immune to bankruptcy and there are many reasons may end up in bankruptcy. In 20 years ago, Jefferson County was fine until they got sued over sewage crisis, so this county agreed to install new sewage system. They have bad management with sewer debt and they unable to afford anymore, that leading to bankruptcy. The compare between Detroit and Jefferson County are apple to orange.

The cities and counties need to keep growing. The tax base will normally go up based on inflation and if you decide to cut the tax that cause revenue to dropping, but you need to add more population (whoever ability to pay tax) to make up the number. Detroit lost a lot of population - about lost 1 millions in 60 years and many factories flee away from city, that caused tax base to drop like hard. The pension may be not bad idea if you able to keep tax base so up and have no loss for businesses so revenue will originally go up based on inflation, even same tax rate.

Ah, so Chicago is safe from bankruptcy because they aren't losing population like Detroit was... Gotcha.

Oh...

Recently, Crain’s Chicago Business reported on Chicago winning an award from Fast Company magazine. “Chicago stood out in our reporting for its creativity and vitality,” Editor and Managing Director Bob Safian said at a press conference here. “Chicago offers something distinctive.”

Fast Company Magazine is representative of much of the media: not much on hard facts about Chicago. The Windy City has distinctions but not positive ones. Chicago’s retail sales tax is the highest in the nation at 10.25 percent. Unions, high taxes, and political corruption have made Chicago one of the leaders in big city decline.

One of the great modern myths of big city America is that Chicago is some sort of successful town and a role model for others. By any traditional performance standards Chicago has failed. Like many old, big industrial cities, Chicago peaked in the 1950 Census with a population of 3,620,962. In the 1950s over two percent of the entire U.S. population lived within Chicago city limits. Over a half century later, while America’s population doubled, Chicago’s population declined. The 1960, 1970, 1980, and 1990 Census numbers showed Chicago losing population.

Mayor Daley and Chicago residents were quite excited about the 2000 Census showing Chicago gaining over 112,000 people (a growth rate at half the national average for the 1990s). It appears the 1990s were an anomaly for Chicago. Since the year 2000, according to Census estimates, Chicago again continued its population decline with a loss of 63,000 from 2000 to 2006 leaving a total of 2,833,321.

Recently, the Web site Real Clear Politics listed two Chicago area Congressional districts among the country’s ten fastest-shrinking districts, in terms of percentage of population lost between 2000 and 2005. Jan Schakowsky’s district lost 7.9 percent of its population. Congressman Rahm Emanuel’s district lost 5.1 percent.

Though 2000 was a somewhat positive year, that year’s Census numbers mask some rather disturbing trends. The white flight out of Chicago continued with 150,000 non- Hispanic white people leaving Chicago from 1990 to 2,000. African-Americans, for the first time, began leaving Chicago with a net loss of 5,000. The population gain in Chicago during the 1990s was due to Hispanics.

One of the great fables urban lovers of Chicago like to talk about is some comeback of the city. The comeback, according to this urban legend, involves white families staying in Chicago to raise their children. With Chicago’s 150,000 white population decline from 1990 to 2000: Chicago was only 31.3 percent non-Hispanic white.

What is even more pronounced is the lack of white children in the public school system. The entire Chicago Public School System is only 9 percent white. Not a single public high school has a population that is majority white. Not one.

Recently, the stubborn facts of Chicago’s population decline made news. As CBS TV Chicago reported in January of 2008:

Half-empty schools are ‘unacceptable’ because they don't serve their students or the communities they're supposed to anchor, Mayor Richard M. Daley said Thursday, setting the stage for the biggest wave of school closings in decades.

Officials contend 147 of 417 neighborhood elementary schools are from half to more than two-thirds empty because enrollment has declined by 41,000 students in the last seven years. A tentative CPS plan calls for up to 50 under-used schools to close, consolidate with other schools or phase out over the next five years.

Most of the underused schools are on the South and West Sides, often where the student population is largely African-American, and in lakefront neighborhoods that include Lincoln Park, Lake View, Uptown and North Center.”

The situation isn’t any better in Chicago’s Catholic School System. The Chicago Tribune reported on February 27, 2007:

Nicholas Wolsonovich, superintendent of schools for the archdiocese, called the exodus from Chicago's Catholic schools ‘mind-boggling.’ In 1964, he said, some 500 schools were spread across the diocese, with about 366,000 students. Now, the system has 257 schools and fewer than 100,000 students. Over the last decade statewide, the number of Catholic schools has dropped from 592 in 1997 to 510 this year, according to figures released at the conference.

Chicago’s political elite love to give speeches about the importance of public education, but not for their children. Mayor Daley sent his children to private schools. Deborah Lynch, the former head of the Chicago Teacher’s Union, sent her kids to private schools. America’s newest political superstar, Barack Obama, sends his kids to private schools. With the exodus of the rich from Chicago’s public schools, 69 percent of the children in the Chicago Public School system are poor.

The horrible public schools, high taxes, and crime have driven families out of Chicago. The city’s job base cannot compete with anti-union places like Houston and Phoenix.

Chicago used to be the number one convention town in America but Las Vegas and Orlando now lead the pack. Chicago has lost its top spot as busiest airport to Atlanta. Chicago's high priced unions and restrictive work rules have driven business elsewhere. For decades, Chicago was a major banking center with two major banking headquarters located on LaSalle Street. Continental Bank and First National Bank of Chicago were always among the top ten largest banks for much of the twentieth century.

No longer. Continental was purchased by Bank of America while First National Bank of Chicago was purchased by JP Morgan. Not a single bank in the top 25 largest banks in America is headquartered in Chicago. While Chicago’s financial district declines Charlotte, North Carolina has emerged as a bigger banking town. Charlotte has the headquarters of two of the four largest banks in America: Wachovia and Bank of America.

Other elements of Chicago’s financial district also show major weaknesses. Chicago doesn’t have one major mutual fund company headquarters. Chicago’s mutual fund job base is smaller than Denver, Indianapolis, or Baltimore. Chicago has a few major hedge funds but nothing like New York City or London. Chicago is the futures capital of America with the merger of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Trade but even here the news isn’t all positive. Computers have shed tens of thousands of jobs in the futures industry. Futures trading floors are headed for extinction within the next three to seven years, eliminating even more jobs.

Chicago’s high tax life style has driven businesses and jobs to the suburbs. Chicago is one ofthe only towns in America with an employee head tax on employment. Companies with over 50 employees must pay $4 a month per employee to the city. Most of the major corporate headquarters in the Chicago area are located in Chicago’s suburbs. Motorola, Walgreens, All State, Kraft, Anixter, Illinois Tool Works, McDonald’s, Alberta-Culver, and Abbott Labs all have their corporate headquarters outside city limits.

Recently, Chicago got its first Wal-Mart. In most places in America, politicians allow consumers to decide whether a business should fail or succeed. In Chicago, with the power of the unions, Chicago’s city council has made it difficult for Wal-Mart to open up any more stores. Chicago’s poor are relegated to paying higher retail prices and have less access to entry-level jobs. The adjacent suburb of Niles has the unusual distinction of being the only town in America (with less than 45,000 people) with two Wal-Marts. One of the Niles Wal-Marts is located right across the street from Chicago.

The largest employer in the city of Chicago is the Federal government. Followed by the City of Chicago Public School system. Other major employers are the city of Chicago, the Chicago Transit Authority, the Cook County government, and the Chicago Park District. These thousands of government workers provide the backbone of the coalition for higher taxes, generous pensions and “political stability”.

Chicago’s political system is inefficient and costly. There are no term limits in Chicago. The Democratic Party has controlled the Mayor’s office since 1931(a big city record). There’s no opposition: Democrat’s control 49 out of 50 seats on the city council. Corruption is everywhere. Barely a month can go by without a major scandal. The FBI has the largest public corruption squad in the United States located in Chicago . Chicago voters don’t seem to care. Those who care about high taxes, good public schools, and low crime are a small minority in Chicago.

In conclusion, Chicago’s long decline continues. In the coming years, public pension commitments will test even the high tax tolerant Chicago residents. Look for low regulation, low tax Houston to overtake Chicago in population in the next

http://www.newgeography.com/content/0040-the-decline-chicago-the-city-doesnt-work

Chicago’s population plunged by more than 200,000 — a 6.9 percent decline from 2000, according to the official census count released Tuesday.

The drop was significantly more than indicated by previous census estimates, and over the next decade it could cost the city hundreds of millions in federal funds, which are partly distributed on the basis of population.

Chicago’s black population fell the most, nearly 17 percent. Today, blacks make up 33 percent of the city’s population, down from 36 percent 10 years ago.

One likely cause is the Chicago Housing Authority’s Plan for Transformation, in which thousands of inner-city public housing units were demolished. Also, a Chicago Sun-Times analysis of previously released tract-level census estimates showed black population growth in the south suburbs.

“I think there may well be a loss of middle-class blacks down into those south suburbs,” said Kenneth Johnson, senior demographer of the Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire.

Hispanic population grew 3.3 percent in Chicago during the decade. But that’s less than the birth rate, meaning it’s likely that Hispanics also are leaving the city for the suburbs. Non-Hispanic whites now comprise 32 percent of the city’s population, while Hispanics of all races make up 29 percent.

- Southtown Star

Last edited:
Oh wow, you misguided my post again.

Re-read my post.
SF and Chicago don't have financial crisis that leading to bankruptcy, similar to Detroit. I'm sure that SF and Chicago have some budget problem, but pretty far from bankruptcy.

It isn't about population alone.

The population in Orange County, CA were grew a lot and they filed for bankruptcy in early 90's.

I found your first article is biased and you didn't put proper link to first article.

Chicago lost the population from 2000 to 2010 because of reversal great migration (many blacks are moving back to southern states, especially Atlanta) and they torn a lot of housing projects down that caused many residents to flee away. I'm glad that Chicago doesn't welcome Walmart and we don't need big box stores to destroy the local businesses.

The union is problem? The union is pretty strong in Canada, compared to US. Canada has good growth and better economy climate.

BTW, I'm anti-Walmart.

Oh wow, you misguided my post again.

Re-read my post.

It isn't about population alone.

The population in Orange County, CA were grew a lot and they filed for bankruptcy in early 90's.

I found your first article is biased and you didn't put proper link to first article.

Chicago lost the population from 2000 to 2010 because of reversal great migration (many blacks are moving back to southern states, especially Atlanta) and they torn a lot of housing projects down that caused many residents to flee away. I'm glad that Chicago doesn't welcome Walmart and we don't need big box stores to destroy the local businesses.

The union is problem? The union is pretty strong in Canada, compared to US. Canada has good growth and better economy climate.

BTW, I'm anti-Walmart.

Right... It's not about population alone. :) Chicago's taxes, crime and pension troubles are also playing a huge part. Not to mention the teachers union.

If you pay attention you will notice that I highlighted several financial concerns for Chicago.

More on Chicago...

Quinn: solve state pension crisis before schools’
BY DAVE MCKINNEY AND BECKY SCHLIKERMAN Staff Reporters July 19, 2013 5:44PM
Updated: July 19, 2013 5:45PM

SPRINGFIELD-Characterizing the financial plight facing Chicago’s Public Schools as “an emergency,” Gov. Pat Quinn Friday remained insistent that lawmakers must first solve Illinois’ nearly $100 billion pension crisis before the city schools’ pension mess gets attention at the Capitol.

“I think you have to deal at the state level. It’s the biggest. Get that done. But I certainly am willing to work with folks locally in Chicago and elsewhere to resolve any challenges they have,” Quinn told reporters when asked if the state’s pension woes still take higher priority than Chicago’s.

Quinn said this week’s dramatic financial developments in Detroit, where officials in that cash-strapped city that has no way to pay $16 billion in bills took steps to declare bankruptcy, could be a precursor to things here without action on pensions in Springfield.

“We saw what happened in Detroit yesterday,” Quinn said. “It’s important that we pay attention here. This is serious. And it is an emergency. I really feel in this coming month it’s time to roll up our sleeves and get the Legislature to get this bill on my desk.”

“I think the state and Chicago Public School system are two very serious matters,” he said.

Quinn’s words were his first response to word from Chicago school administrators that they intended to lay off 2,113 teachers and other employees Friday, largely due to a giant pension obligation increase that’s straining the system.

Quinn: solve state pension crisis before schools

Here we're giving billions of $$$ to other countries and we have cities going broke.

You realize that Walmart is the largest private employer of African Americans, right?

Short term this would be a problem, but long term you have to move the money into the community rather than take it out. You have to invest in local business first or get larger business with good salary there by giving a tax break. Walmart is good for an advanced economy with a large service base, but it is bad for a struggling one that has no service is in used to manufacturing. You can't pay people pennies and then expect big tax revenues, not gonna happen.

Short term this would be a problem, but long term you have to move the money into the community rather than take it out. You have to invest in local business first or get larger business with good salary there by giving a tax break. Walmart is good for an advanced economy with a large service base, but it is bad for a struggling one that has no service is in used to manufacturing. You can't pay people pennies and then expect big tax revenues, not gonna happen.

That wasn't the point in the article. The point made in the article was that higher costs were driving people from the city.

Right... It's not about population alone. :) Chicago's taxes, crime and pension troubles are also playing a huge part. Not to mention the teachers union.

If you pay attention you will notice that I highlighted several financial concerns for Chicago.

It doesn't means Chicago is on verge to bankruptcy.

You realize that Walmart is the largest private employer of African Americans, right?

The race isn't factor why I hate Walmart and I'm not impressed about job growth by low paying retail, fast food and restaurant. Many low paying employees are dependent on government welfare and worsen the social safety net. That will not help the city when employees get low pay and pay little tax. Low wage, little or no benefit, mistreatment, anti-labor practice, lack of cultural diversity, cookie cutter and anti-local businesses are reason that I hate Walmart.

I have sympathy for black people who received low pay jobs and don't have much option to support themselves.

I'm amazed about why USA failed to keep wage growth and lack of decent jobs for Americans to find a job, since Canada has a lot of success.

Phoenix, Tucson, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, Raleigh and Piedmont Triad are dominated by democrats in city council/mayor. I don't see any partisan are factor for failure, but New Orleans and Birmingham are pretty depressed.

That wasn't the point in the article. The point made in the article was that higher costs were driving people from the city.

I'm sorry I missed the point of the article. However, if you think about it, the cost are too high because the local income is too low and Walmart would be a factor because of it's pay rate.

Here in Boston, cost is through the roof. The average person here spends more than 50% of their income on housing. And, the only thing that keeps this going is decent paying jobs and a middle class.

My point is: You can't build a city with plebs alone. As with Rome, you need equities and patricians because those entities give more money back into the community.

The real problem here, stepping away from the article, is that the government does not have enough or owes too much money, plain and simple.

The issue isn't higher cost because money value is relative. The issue is good jobs and investment. They need to switch to a service based economy or build major colleges. That's what Rhode Island is trying to do.

P.S. You can't save a pension unless you have money coming in to save it. Right?

I'm sorry I missed the point of the article. However, if you think about it, the cost are too high because the local income is too low and Walmart would be a factor because of it's pay rate.

Here in Boston, cost is through the roof. The average person here spends more than 50% of their income on housing. And, the only thing that keeps this going is decent paying jobs and a middle class.

My point is: You can't build a city with plebs alone. As with Rome, you need equities and patricians because those entities give more money back into the community.

The real problem here, stepping away from the article, is that the government does not have enough or owes too much money, plain and simple.

The issue isn't higher cost because money value is relative. The issue is good jobs and investment. They need to switch to a service based economy or build major colleges. That's what Rhode Island is trying to do.

Walmart and big box stores will be bad for cities with strong local businesses, because Walmart had caused local businesses go out of business. The local business in our city is struggling after Walmart opened a new store and some of them went out of business. It may be not bad idea if Walmart has unique plan to open a new store that match to style and culture for cities, offer better worker protection to employees and decent pay with benefits, also compensate the small local businesses who are affected by opening of Walmart.

I know Walmart could afford it but employers don't want. :(

P.S. You can't save a pension unless you have money coming in to save it. Right?

That is basically the exact point of the article. Or at least the combination of them. Chicago is in deep financial trouble pension wise. People are leaving the city rather than moving into the city for a number of reasons. And THAT exacerbates the pension problem. Pretty much exactly what happened to Detroit. I really don't think there are any measures Chicago can take to pull themselves out of this disaster besides bankruptcy. I don't think it is possible for the city to attract business anymore.

That is basically the exact point of the article. Or at least the combination of them. Chicago is in deep financial trouble pension wise. People are leaving the city rather than moving into the city for a number of reasons. And THAT exacerbates the pension problem. Pretty much exactly what happened to Detroit. I really don't think there are any measures Chicago can take to pull themselves out of this disaster besides bankruptcy. I don't think it is possible for the city to attract business anymore.

The bankruptcy is only one option that effectively kill the pension?

It can be fixed. There is always a way. The question is: Are the politicians smart enough to do it? It's their job to bring in the business.

It can be fixed. There is always a way. The question is: Are the politicians smart enough to do it? It's their job to bring in the business.

I would love to meet the person who can solve this mess and avoid bankruptcy at the same time. :lol:

I think much of Detroit will be urban prairie in near future as population continue to decline.

It make some neighborhood looks like rural.

I would love to meet the person who can solve this mess and avoid bankruptcy at the same time. :lol:

I'm not saying bankruptcy is not a part of it. I'm saying they can bring in the money and be solvent, but it takes good politics to do it.

Back