Degrees of hearing loss and speech scores!

Maybe sentences are spoken too fast for you to understand? When a single word is spoken, you have time to interpret that word. ...

<Shaking my head>
AlleyCat did indicate that this was during a standardized hearing test where sentences are spoken at a moderate speed (not too slow nor too fast). Obviously, the hearing tests have been refined over the years to where they are essentially as good as one gets.

So.....going.....slower.....isn't.....gonna.....help. Nobody speaks that slow. Apparently, there are some auditory processing issues going on for AlleyCat.

As for your last sentence, that is not really true about having time to interpret a single word. One has to hear everything in that word and then all you have is auditory memory to go by and figure it out. If one misses one nuance in that word (yes even with single syllable words), you are toast trying to determine if it was at, bat, cat, fat, hat, mat, pat, rat, sat, vat that was said.

Whereas in a sentence, you have much more to go on and get it right. One usually gets "The boy sat down." as it can't any of the other possibility. Most people do much better with sentences than single words.

From your study, it doesn't matter how much residual hearing you have, you will lose it anyway with CI and even if not, CI doesn't care about residual hearing. Youll still score the same as someone with no residual hearing. Those with residual hearing sometimes scored worse than CI at 1-3 months but your study does show that they all eventually did better than with HAs. I want to know what type of HAs they had, how many different HAs did they try and were their HAs correctly programmed? All this proves is that CI is better than the one type of HAs they wore but tells me nothing how well they could have done with different HAs. Furthermore, I posted above of this guy who went from 20% speech to 80% speech with proper HAs. I would not be surprised if 25% of those getting CI who have plenty of residual hearing get way up there in speech with better HAs and especially HAs with transposition. See the audiograms in my earlier posts. I can show more case studies of transposition giving hearing as good as CI.

Well actually the study points out that for people with remarkable residual hearing before implantation and good performance with HAs, there is an adaptation time during which they show worse performance than when they were amplified. After this decrease of performance, all of them show better results with CI than with HAs.
Another important result is that being able to hear reasonably well before implantation does not give any advantage over being completely deaf for the final result of CI.

Statistics is used to represent the reality. If the data set is statistically significant, it is a reasonable representation of the real situation. Of course there are always some outliers, always somebody with better fitting, better HAs, but also with poor fitting and poor HAs. In a statistically significant ensemble they are somehow represented.
In other words, if you say CI is a success in 90% of cases, you can conclude CI works very well. But if you are in the 10% failure you say CI does not work, no matter what statistics say. But if you are not in the ensemble, what will be more probable? 90% or 10%? This is the way we should read that.
Inverting the scheme, if somebody, representing 10-20% of people using HAs, gets perfect device and perfect fitting, performing outstandingly at the end, while 80% still does not get satisfactory results, if you are not in the ensemble what can you get from that? You can conclude that it is more probable to get poor results rather than getting outstanding performances. Of course if you are in the 20% of good performers you are biased to think HAs can do great.
We cannot think everybody using HAs and not getting good results are stupid people, their audi are not able to fit their devices and they are not able to train themselves!!
This is just a representation of the situation. For somebody probably it would be possible to get better results, for other not. That's it.

I add a small thing. The real problem is that it is not possible to know from the beginning what will be the final result. And the process for coming to the end is long and there is no way-back. This is why it is always so difficult.

The question is, will you be comfortable if he doesn't learn to use spoken language if you only use hearing aids? Will you wonder if it could have been different if you had given him a CI? What are the pros of the CI? What are the cons? What will you say if your child grows up and askd you why you DIDN'T give him the CI, and the opportunities that go with it? And what will you say if he comes and asks why you DID "force" the CI on him? Which answer can you live with?

Again, ref74, I would tell you to ask your child's audi and SLP and teacher of the Deaf, what percentage of severe-profound children perform *worse* with their CI's than they did with their hearing aids. I would wager that number would be (at least close to) zero. Also ask them to be honest about the number of children that are successful with that level of loss with becoming age appropriate with their spoken language, and ask about the amount of time it takes and the amount of therapy and work, and then ask them the same about early implanted children. The difference will be huge. Many hearing aid users continue through middle school, while today's early implanted children are often finished before kindergarten. That is a huge difference.

Personally I think children should be asked if they want to hear better and of course you have the final say. I was implanted at 10 years old, even though I didnt understand most of the things, I was still involved in the decision making and very much involved and told what the next step was. But for babies you would have to make the decision for them and explain you was trying to make their life easier.

So they do better with the different hearing aids....then they still do better with the CI!

You don't know this till they try every HA as well as have their HAs programmed properly. This guy went from 20% speech to 80% with proper HAs!

A deaf dude's life: Try every HA before CI! This guy now scores 80% speech with HA!

<Shaking my head>
AlleyCat did indicate that this was during a standardized hearing test where sentences are spoken at a moderate speed (not too slow nor too fast). Obviously, the hearing tests have been refined over the years to where they are essentially as good as one gets.

So.....going.....slower.....isn't.....gonna.....help. Nobody speaks that slow. Apparently, there are some auditory processing issues going on for AlleyCat.

Then she should train her brain to score higher in sentences. Maybe she can tell her brain that a sentence is simply a series of words and process each sentence as one word at a time. But yea a CI won't help her if the problem is her brain.

Well actually the study points out that for people with remarkable residual hearing before implantation and good performance with HAs, there is an adaptation time during which they show worse performance than when they were amplified. After this decrease of performance, all of them show better results with CI than with HAs.

Id like to see how much improvement they would get with a newer HA in their nonimplanted ear. Wouldn't be surprised if they can get to 80% speech which would make their CI a waste.

Another important result is that being able to hear reasonably well before implantation does not give any advantage over being completely deaf for the final result of CI.

A CI would be worth it to go from 0% speech to 80% speech but not when you are getting 50% speech with the wrong HAs and can get to at least 70% with proper HAs, who cares about another 10%, insurance will never approve and if you can find a surgeon, you pay over $50,000 and take a huge risk. I actually know one guy who did just that to go from 70% speech to 85% speech. His money, his ear, his choice. Ill be happy to spend 25% of that cost($30,000 or so. CI is over $50,000 for one ear) to get stem cells in both of my ears and match his CI speech score of 85% with proper HAs. Should be about a 3 year wait for stem cells to be advanced enough.

Of course if you are in the 20% of good performers you are biased to think HAs can do great.
We cannot think everybody using HAs and not getting good results are stupid people, their audi are not able to fit their devices and they are not able to train themselves!!
This is just a representation of the situation. For somebody probably it would be possible to get better results, for other not. That's it.

For the 25% who got CI, better HAs could have given them enough speech not to qualify for CI in the first place. I posted this example of this guy who went from 20% speech with wrong HAs to 80% with high end HAs(Phonak Naida, same as what I wear)

The question is, will you be comfortable if he doesn't learn to use spoken language if you only use hearing aids?

Anyone with residual hearing can learn how to speak clearly and read lips. They may not score 80% in speech understanding but they can be like me where I communicate with others and they don't even know im deaf unless I tell them.

What will you say if your child grows up and askd you why you DIDN'T give him the CI, and the opportunities that go with it? And what will you say if he comes and asks why you DID "force" the CI on him? Which answer can you live with?

No child who wasn't given a CI has ever been upset because they can always decide themselves to get a CI. It's never too late! I would tell the child that I never decided for him, I never said yes or no but simply waited for him to be older and left the decision up to him. Every child has been thankful for this. Lots of unhappy children who were forced or made to get CI before they could decide. Ill take my chances and let him decide himself on CI(or stem cells)

Again, ref74, I would tell you to ask your child's audi and SLP and teacher of the Deaf, what percentage of severe-profound children perform *worse* with their CI's than they did with their hearing aids. I would wager that number would be (at least close to) zero.

Ill believe the 0% hearing worse with CI if it can be shown they have tried all the best HAs out there. You mentioned you are letting Miss Kat try better HAs. Will be interesting to see how much better she hears!

Also ask them to be honest about the number of children that are successful with that level of loss with becoming age appropriate with their spoken language, and ask about the amount of time it takes and the amount of therapy and work, and then ask them the same about early implanted children. The difference will be huge. Many hearing aid users continue through middle school, while today's early implanted children are often finished before kindergarten. That is a huge difference.

I was able to speak clearly before kindergarten. All I needed was proper HAs and training/education. We all know that the deaf are perfectly capable if given a chance! Even the old analog HAs did fine and there was no complicated programming. It was great out of the box. I simply turned the volume as high as it would go without feedback. I bet my old analogs were better than today's improperly programmed, improperly amplified digitals. I speak from experience as I was improperly fitted in 2005 and I heard worse than my old digital HAs from 1998. Not every audiologist is an "expert" as you make out.

Personally I think children should be asked if they want to hear better and of course you have the final say. I was implanted at 10 years old, even though I didnt understand most of the things, I was still involved in the decision making and very much involved and told what the next step was. But for babies you would have to make the decision for them and explain you was trying to make their life easier.

Ill wait for the baby to turn 10, fair enough. He will have at least a basic understanding of CI and stem cells as well as the risks.

Then she should train her brain to score higher in sentences. Maybe she can tell her brain that a sentence is simply a series of words and process each sentence as one word at a time. But yea a CI won't help her if the problem is her brain.

Er...you need to stop thinking you "know everything" and start reading and listening to what people are saying. Not everybody is looking for a cure or a solution to their situation. AlleyCat simply stated that apparently a CI would probably not be in her best interest. This was predicated on certain observations and tests she did with an audiologist at a CI center. She accepted that and moved on. It was just a statement of fact...no more...no less.

As for your inane statement about training's one brain or worst "telling" it what to do... Just listen to yourself make that statement...what nonsense!!! Understanding spoken language with hearing is difficult enough as is and definitely all the harder when one has a hearing loss. While I agree in general that practice can make perfect, that doesn't always apply with cognitive issues.

Anyone with residual hearing can learn how to speak clearly and read lips. They may not score 80% in speech understanding but they can be like me where I communicate with others and they don't even know im deaf unless I tell them.

Do not kid yourself. Demonstrating braggadocio is not a great trait in anybody. Hearing people will eventually know if one is hearing or not. If you are getting 80% percent of speech, you are missing that 20% to give yourself away. Besides if you speak, your voice will definitely give you away.

Do not kid yourself. Demonstrating braggadocio is not a great trait in anybody. Hearing people will eventually know if one is hearing or not. If you are getting 80% percent of speech, you are missing that 20% to give yourself away. Besides if you speak, your voice will definitely give you away.

Bingo. That's what I tell everyone!

The effect of filtering and inter-digit interval on the recognition of dichotic digits

This study shows that low pass filtered hearing to 1000Hz results in almost the same speech score for that type of speech test. Only at 500Hz was there a significent decrease in performance.

I will be showing other studies soon, but ill say now that speech remains excellent as long as you have normal hearing to 1000-1500Hz even if you have no hearing above that. Surprisingly, the same is true if you can't hear low frequencies but have normal hearing in the mids and highs your speech will still be good. More surprisingly, a severe hearing loss at every frequency with HAs still gives far less speech than someone who has normal hearing in some frequencies and no hearing in the rest. This is something im still learning myself.

The effect of filtering and inter-digit interval on the recognition of dichotic digits

This study shows that low pass filtered hearing to 1000Hz results in almost the same speech score for that type of speech test. Only at 500Hz was there a significent decrease in performance.

I will be showing other studies soon, but ill say now that speech remains excellent as long as you have normal hearing to 1000-1500Hz even if you have no hearing above that. Surprisingly, the same is true if you can't hear low frequencies but have normal hearing in the mids and highs your speech will still be good. More surprisingly, a severe hearing loss at every frequency with HAs still gives far less speech than someone who has normal hearing in some frequencies and no hearing in the rest. This is something im still learning myself.

Wasn't this done on hearing people who have heard perfectly their whole lives? Their brains can figure out the pieces that are missing and fill the gaps.

That is totally different than someone who has never heard "normally" or someone who is learning language.

I don't think this applies to the discussion at all.

So completely not true. I am working with a girl now, who is 14, and has a moderate-severe loss and no intellegle speech and she could not be taught to lip read. I also know that my speech is often not clear. People who know me need to be looking at me to understand me and have the context. I know some deaf people who are amazing speech readers and others who can't at all even with training they couldn't learn it. Stop generalizing.

Now a few questions for you...

What is the cause of your hearing loss?

What did you study in college?

So completely not true. I am working with a girl now, who is 14, and has a moderate-severe loss and no intellegle speech and she could not be taught to lip read. I also know that my speech is often not clear. People who know me need to be looking at me to understand me and have the context. I know some deaf people who are amazing speech readers and others who can't at all even with training they couldn't learn it. Stop generalizing.

Now a few questions for you...

What is the cause of your hearing loss?

What did you study in college?

Miss Kat too. She had a 15 sloping to 65 db loss, and she didn't gain speech, or learn to lipread either. She just didn't have good enough access.

Wasn't this done on hearing people who have heard perfectly their whole lives? Their brains can figure out the pieces that are missing and fill the gaps.

That is totally different than someone who has never heard "normally" or someone who is learning language.

I don't think this applies to the discussion at all.

My brain can also fill in the gaps, this is why I understand some speech as well. I used to understand more speech when my hearing was about 10db better.

Let's compare degrees of hearing loss to speech comphrension. Everyone is different, some are above average and some are below average. This has to do with the configuration of IHC damage, amount of amplification, the brain's capabilities and other factors.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l5wI0zn7S...u4/08qjyXpLEQc/s400/Audiogram1997+(Large).jpg

80-85db hearing loss, 68% monosyllabic speech discrimination. This person is 20%+ above average in speech.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/jimmer72/Audiogram2007_11.jpg

40-100db HL, ~60db PTA and 68% monosyllabic speech discrimination. This is actually below average for the degree of hearing.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LYq-KhiVhCM/Scb97uTrfCI/AAAAAAAAAbU/FEa025CooHQ/david-audiogram-9-11-2007.jpg

moderate 50db HL(250Hz-4000Hz) with 84% monosyllabic speech discrimination.

http://beethovensears.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/audiogram-10-09-9-3.JPG

mild to severe hearing loss. Bad ear has no residual hearing above 1000Hz. 60% monosyllabic speech discrimination.

AUDIOLOGY Treatment - Google Books

On average, speech scores are 90% for sentences and in the 50-55% range for monosyllabic words.

1259376976021493800.jpg

modern CI speech performance.

1259377254037491100.jpg

This concides closely with the above audiograms ive shown. A CI would perform similar to a 75-80db HL using properly fitted HAs. Note that there is a steep drop past 60db HL because IHC damage begins at this point. It's very rare for IHC damage to occur at moderate levels of HL. Normally, almost all your IHC are intact but only your OHC are gone.

Miss Kat too. She had a 15 sloping to 65 db loss, and she didn't gain speech, or learn to lipread either. She just didn't have good enough access.

There is one person with a 65db HL who's scoring only 25% monosyllabic discrimination(60% sentence) but Miss Kat scored below this even. This is the lowest speech score I know of anyone with a moderate hearing loss. Perhaps the ototoxic damage affected alot of her IHC and spared alot of her OHC. I was scoring better than that with a severe-profound loss. I asked my parents and they said I gained the ability to understand speech(around 50% sentence) and read lips from a young age and that's with old analog HAs. Referring to the speech chart above, a 50% score is about 93db HL. This could be about the degree of hearing loss I had as a child.

As Jenny said above, stop the generalizations. If I haven't learned anything in the past 30+ years is that hearing loss is a individual thing. No two hearing losses seem to be the same. That's why when someone posts their audiogram and then ask what aids are best for me, there is usually a slew of different answers, because what works for one may not work for another. That's why when it comes time for me to buy new aids my audiologist encourages me to try numerous brands to try to determine which I feel helps me the most. It's also why when I inquire about FM systems he tells me to come in and see if I like a particular system. He tells me to take it home and play with it for a couple of weeks, no pressure. In my case amplification and speech comprehension do not go hand in hand. I'm sure there have been instances where this has been the case but I am also sure that there have been instances where amplification does absolutely nothing to improve comprehension. If that were the case anologue aids would be the answer to everything.

Deafdude,

I'm not sure why you keep going over the same old stuff over and over again. Surely it's everyone's personal choice whether they wish to use HAs or CI. No one wants to spend a fortune trying numerous HAs, that don't help, when there is a viable alternative.

Personally I'm OK at the moment, using the most powerful HAs that Siemens produce, but at some future date if they were no longer beneficial to me, then I would seriously consider getting a CI.

Getting a CI is not a decision that people take lightly, for themselves or their children.

That's why when it comes time for me to buy new aids my audiologist encourages me to try numerous brands to try to determine which I feel helps me the most. It's also why when I inquire about FM systems he tells me to come in and see if I like a particular system. He tells me to take it home and play with it for a couple of weeks, no pressure.

If only we had that luxury on the NHS. We just get given HAs, no choice offered, sent home and told to get on with it.

Back