Degrees of hearing loss and speech scores!

deafdude1

Reaction score
Wyoming EHDI- Types of Hearing Loss

This is why it's very important to give maximum amplification/gains with HAs! My speech scores went up 20% when my audiologist reprogrammed my HA for maximum gains, even in the low frequencies! The speech banana extends upwards to as high as 10db at 125Hz and 8000Hz.

Well, thank you for the very general, very basic information here.

It proves that db does matter for speech which you keep refusing to believe. A 30db loss can cause you to miss 25% of speech! This is why my speech went way up with more gains on my HAs!

It proves that db does matter for speech which you keep refusing to believe. A 30db loss can cause you to miss 25% of speech! This is why my speech went way up with more gains on my HAs!

No, I am simply saying that hearing is SO MUCH MORE than a number on a chart.

No, I am simply saying that hearing is SO MUCH MORE than a number on a chart.

Regardless, the more amplification, the better youll hear and this applies for everyone! A person at 20% could score 40% with better HAs. Another person at 70% could score 90% with better HAs.

Regardless, the more amplification, the better youll hear and this applies for everyone! A person at 20% could score 40% with better HAs. Another person at 70% could score 90% with better HAs.
Do you actually believe that is the case for everyone? Do you truly believe you know more than thosands of professionals who have hundreds of years experience among them?

Do you actually believe that is the case for everyone? Do you truly believe you know more than thosands of professionals who have hundreds of years experience among them?

Show me one person who failed to hear more when he was hearing at 50db aided vs. 40db aided vs. 30db aided, etc.

Show me one person who failed to hear more when he was hearing at 50db aided vs. 40db aided vs. 30db aided, etc.

You never listen!!!

Show me a person who has a better speech recognition score with hearing aids, and then got a CI and it got lower.

You never listen!!!

Show me a person who has a better speech recognition score with hearing aids, and then got a CI and it got lower.

If that person wore the best HAs, the speech score with CI could be lower. The speech score of 50% was with older HAs and he may have gotten 75% with CI. Had he tried the best HAs, he could be getting 80% then. I don't consider any of this valid unless the best HAs were tried with maximum amplification.

If that person wore the best HAs, the speech score with CI could be lower. The speech score of 50% was with older HAs and he may have gotten 75% with CI. Had he tried the best HAs, he could be getting 80% then. I don't consider any of this valid unless the best HAs were tried with maximum amplification.

So the answer is: "I can't show you one"

In some places, in some ways. But overall? Did the speech score lower?

Read her blog for yourself. There's alot more to hearing than speech scores. Even if her speech improved, she didn't appear entirely happy with CI because one thing was traded off for another thing. It's like trading a red balloon for a blue balloon. Neither is better than the other, both are balloons of different colors. She traded one way of hearing and got a different way of hearing that was equal to her first way. Is a CI supposed to improve hearing across the board? It didn't for her.

Read her blog for yourself. There's alot more to hearing than speech scores. Even if her speech improved, she didn't appear entirely happy with CI because one thing was traded off for another thing. It's like trading a red balloon for a blue balloon. Neither is better than the other, both are balloons of different colors. She traded one way of hearing and got a different way of hearing that was equal to her first way. Is a CI supposed to improve hearing across the board? It didn't for her.
I would not compare the complexities of hearing with HA or CI's to the colors of balloons. Especially when individual results will vary. They are not analogous.

What about the many people that DO gain benefits from a CI that they could not with HA's. How do you reconcile that?

I read her Blog and the last entry more than 2 years ago stated that the doctors finally saw that the implant is failing and the manufacture has agreed to replace it free of charge and she was planning on getting to happen and she will post part two of this. Her pervious post before than was about 4 years ago.

Someone who refuses to try the best HAs before CI isn't going to start trying HAs after CI in either ear. The CI ear would be useless for HA.

But I posted here that this woman hears worse with CI:

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/64134-woman-hears-worse-some-aspects-ci-over-ha.html

Have a look in the scientific literature. A lot of numbers, either successes and failures are well reported. Although some statistical analysis can be biased somehow and not every data set is really and completely significant, the overall advantage of CI over HA emerges pretty clearly.
Deafdude, you are right saying that the most of people who shift to CI do not get the maximum from HAs. I believe this is extremely difficult and time consuming. One should try different HAs (think about the costs here), several different settings, get used to every single change and only after a long time (many years?) being able to derive a result.
My thoughts go to the children: this is so difficult for adults, how the hell can it be possible with babies? You can find that HAs, even at their best, cannot help and you are over the deadline for having the most from CI. It is a matter of fact that young children implanted around 2 years of age usually performs very good. I met some of them, completely or profoundly deaf able to score nearly 100% and anyway able to discuss with me in a real life environment, without any apparent problem (and they are very young, 4.5 to 6.5). Could they reach this results in such a short time with HAs? Better, besides the completely deaf, could they reach similar results at all?
Statistics and these cases I experienced personally seem to tell that CI are much easier to be programmed than HAs over a certain amount of hearing loss.
You deafdude are a clear example of a person with an important HL, very well aided, extremely competent in understanding how a HA can help, performing significantly good, but you can understand 50% of what your dad says without lipreading. What about unknown people in a general environment?
I agree on the correlation about db and speech comprehension, there is for sure a link. Anyway the function is not linear, definitely. The correlation between audiogram and speech comprehension is extremely complex. Getting the most out of a HA is very important and can give good results. Still expectations cannot be even close to that a CI can give. For profound deaf people HAs can be a big help, but it is difficult they can enable listening to the radio or TV (without subtitles), or hearing in difficult environments... CI cannot guarantee it, maybe only a few reach that level, but there are at least those few... It's a matter of expectations, or better of hopes and opportunities.
Since it is obvious that audiogram cannot be the explanation (CI hardly can do better than 30db across the board, you are teaching to me), there should be something else. I would like to understand what's that.

more amplification does not mean BETTER hearing for everyone! seriously. turn up the volume on my hearing aid more (even with the Naida), everything sounds distorted and loud and overwhelms my brain I can't make sense of anything. so more amplification is not always the way to go, so quit trying to say EVERYONE needs more amplification on their HAs. Everyone processes sound information in their own way, and not everyone is going to get the same results, so SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT PREACHING YOUR BS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. It does nothing. Everyone has DIFFERENT hearing levels and hearing aids and experiences, so just accept that fact and MOVE ON for god's sake. If one feels like they're not hearing well enough, then they'll deal with it however they want to, whether that be readjusting the current aids, getting new HAs or going for CIs. It is each person's own personal choice and decision on what they want to do with their own hearing, and it is not your place to preach to them about increasing the amplification or whatever.

If one was to have to TRY out every single hearing aid out there before going for a CI, that would take ages, as it takes TIME to get used to how 1 set of hearing aids work and sound, and takes time programming them just right and all that garbage. People aren't going to want to waste months trying a whole variety of hearing aids. They may try the "BEST" hearing aid on the market for a bit, and if that's not good enough for them then so be it. Again, it's each person's own decision. It's great your hearing aids work great for you, that's YOUR experience. But not everyone's going to get the same results as you did, so just friggin' accept that fact and just leave everyone alone about their hearing choices. good grief!

Back