Decision is Made

It just seemed odd that you would remark about it; but OK. Not at all worried, dear. :wave:

It seems odd that you would remark in a thread that pertains to CIs which we all know has nothing to do with you; but OK.

Please... If you want to fight... Or nit pick eachother... Please go to another thread.

My girls seem to be feeling much better now.. Still a bit sluggish and finding it hard to get back to a routine, but better.

I wish there was a way to find unbiased information on the brands of CI's but that just doesn't seem to be out there.

I am glad your girls are doing better. I really didn't jump into the thread as I don't have a CI and will not be getting one and my kids (17 & 18) refuse to consider them. I am with a lot of users both current and former that totally believes in a "full toolbox" approach with children that have a hearing loss. My kids didn't get it as I did not know about it at the time.

I am glad your girls are doing better. I really didn't jump into the thread as I don't have a CI and will not be getting one and my kids (17 & 18) refuse to consider them. I am with a lot of users both current and former that totally believes in a "full toolbox" approach with children that have a hearing loss. My kids didn't get it as I did not know about it at the time.

I couldn't agree with you more on the bolded.

I wish there was a way to find unbiased information on the brands of CI's but that just doesn't seem to be out there.

There are 2 things you could look into: 1) go to Cochlear's website, as well as AB's website, and read up on everything. See if something specific stands out to you that you like better than the other. And 2) Make sure you have an unbiased CI audiologist. They should be able to relay info about each brand and show pictures, diagrams, actual products of each (I've seen the "suitcases" of what they contain), etc. If you are meeting with a CI audi that will only show you one product, go to another CI audi. I do know that most states only have CI audiologists at major hospitals (in my state, there's only 3 major hospitals that do CIs, for example) so maybe you will have to do some traveling, but this may be what will put you at ease.

There are 2 things you could look into: 1) go to Cochlear's website, as well as AB's website, and read up on everything. See if something specific stands out to you that you like better than the other. And 2) Make sure you have an unbiased CI audiologist. They should be able to relay info about each brand and show pictures, diagrams, actual products of each (I've seen the "suitcases" of what they contain), etc. If you are meeting with a CI audi that will only show you one product, go to another CI audi. I do know that most states only have CI audiologists at major hospitals (in my state, there's only 3 major hospitals that do CIs, for example) so maybe you will have to do some traveling, but this may be what will put you at ease.

The surgeon has done all three, and had shown me all three. They said that ab is best for music, but cochlear is the most reliable and med el had the longest electrode, though they haven't seen that to have much of an impact as med el likes to say it does... I guess we are going to have to research more. Why can't it be cut and dry?

This is what I am wanting...her to have every opportunity just as I did. This is why we are thinking about a CI, so she can have everything

The surgeon has done all three, and had shown me all three. They said that ab is best for music, but cochlear is the most reliable and med el had the longest electrode, though they haven't seen that to have much of an impact as med el likes to say it does... I guess we are going to have to research more. Why can't it be cut and dry?

Nothing in life is cut and dry or black and white. There are always those shades of grey. You just need to spend a lot of time researching and weighing out the pros and cons of each. You'll find the answer- you just need to do the work to feel good about it.

I do not know much about Med El, actually. It seems to be the least-discussed of the 3. The majority of posters here who have CIs are either Cochlear or AB. I think the Med El is more specific to specific types of losses. There have been a few Med El discussions here so perhaps doing a search in those threads might help you some.

creatednat what your research sounds right to me. my hus has a cochlear and he likes ab very much really. but afraid that ab is a few years while cochlear is a long year. So he picked cochlear. My girlfriend picked ab when she was around 22. she likes music a lot . remind you that i m not familiar with both ab and cochlear but learned from them. recently my girlfriend has upgrade her ab that i am not sure what she meant but she s happy about about the sound become clear to her.

That "full toolbox" is too often used as an excuse to implent depriving actions that involves oralist ideas. Another problematic thing with "full toolbox" is it's not true that having everything is having more. People with some minimum of wisdom can acknowledge that when we got something, we often lose something else.

That said, the idea with "full toolbox" is great on paper, but like bilingualism, it matters how one approach it. Alone, only used as a term, bilingualism in theory, have little or no academic advantages.

Just my two rupees.

That "full toolbox" is too often used as an excuse to implent depriving actions that involves oralist ideas. Another problematic thing with "full toolbox" is it's not true that having everything is having more. People with some minimum of wisdom can acknowledge that when we got something, we often lose something else.

That said, the idea with "full toolbox" is great on paper, but like bilingualism, it matters how one approach it. Alone, only used as a term, bilingualism in theory, have little or no academic advantages.

Just my two rupees.
very good point..
In theory it is perfect of course. In practice it's very, very hard to obtain.
We all make our choices and with those choices you abandon certain roads.
That doesn't mean you cannot get back to them.. it's just that you concentrate on the path that you have chosen..

We made the choice for Lotte to hear. And after CI implantation and seeing how fast she changed from sign to speech, we made the choice for her to two languages... and spend no time on signlanguage..
We might get back to that sign-language path, or Lotte might, but for now that part of the full toolbox is behind us...
Or perhaps... it's parallel to us.. in the distance. Perhaps our current path will cross that path again.. :)

"Full tool-box" is subjective and can mean different things to different people. What's "full tool-box" to one might be the Bi-Bi philosophy, and to another it may mean a Total Communication approach. How any one approach is executed can vary from one individual or group to another, and the same goes for how children will benefit differently from any given approach.

"Full tool-box" is subjective and can mean different things to different people. What's "full tool-box" to one might be the Bi-Bi philosophy, and to another it may mean a Total Communication approach. How any one approach is executed can vary from one individual or group to another, and the same goes for how children will benefit differently from any given approach.
Yes, what do we need a such subjetive term for? Quite pointless. The origin of those terms are also of interest and can explain their use, too.

"Full toolbox" = from special education needs thinking, "Informed choices" = usually used when informing patients about pills or surgeries, "Bilingualism" = give deaf kids access to ASL so they won't complain so much about oralist practices.

very good point..
In theory it is perfect of course. In practice it's very, very hard to obtain.
We all make our choices and with those choices you abandon certain roads.
That doesn't mean you cannot get back to them.. it's just that you concentrate on the path that you have chosen..

We made the choice for Lotte to hear. And after CI implantation and seeing how fast she changed from sign to speech, we made the choice for her to two languages... and spend no time on signlanguage..
We might get back to that sign-language path, or Lotte might, but for now that part of the full toolbox is behind us...
Or perhaps... it's parallel to us.. in the distance. Perhaps our current path will cross that path again.. :)
Agree. I would never make the choices you did, but what you write makes sense to me and is shared by many parents nowdays. At least, sign language is more accepted that in the 90s. Look forward to hopefully met your daughter someday at one of my international deaf power militia anti-CI gatherings, but it's her choice of course!

Agree. I would never make the choices you did, but what you write makes sense to me and is shared by many parents nowdays. At least, sign language is more accepted that in the 90s. Look forward to hopefully met your daughter someday at one of my international deaf power militia anti-CI gatherings, but it's her choice of course!
Just keep sending her an invite every year... and she might just jump the ocean to join you.. LOL..

Good God!!!! I meant "full tool-box" As in having ASL or whichever actual recognized sign language for the country the person lives in, NOT, SEE or some crap like that. Also, speaking if able, but not forcing the child to take speech therapy. Also HA's if they will help. If they get a CI, then hopefully it will work to some advantage. I have seen too many instances stating both positives and negatives and personally, no one in my family has one, so I am not about to debate the pros and cons of a CI, so don't go there.

I was not speaking of a tool box like tools of the trade as in HA, CI, and speech only. Now, I will not be back to this thread as I do not want to get involved into the petty indifference of some3 people regarding CI's.

Good day!!!!!!!

Good God!!!! I meant "full tool-box" As in having ASL or whichever actual recognized sign language for the country the person lives in, NOT, SEE or some crap like that. Also, speaking if able, but not forcing the child to take speech therapy. Also HA's if they will help. If they get a CI, then hopefully it will work to some advantage. I have seen too many instances stating both positives and negatives and personally, no one in my family has one, so I am not about to debate the pros and cons of a CI, so don't go there.

I was not speaking of a tool box like tools of the trade as in HA, CI, and speech only. Now, I will not be back to this thread as I do not want to get involved into the petty indifference of some3 people regarding CI's.

Good day!!!!!!!
:dunno:

Back