Decision is Made

CreatedNat

How long have you have been ASL since? with parents and friends? do you still hang out with ASL users?

I have already stated this... but I will again. I have been using ASL from the time my parents found out I was deaf. They would drive a few hours to be able to go to a Deaf social so that I could be around adults who were fluent in ASL, and learn from their language model.
I still use ASL daily, with my family and friends, but since my princesses, I haven't been able to go to any Deaf socials, it has been hard, but at least my family still understands my need for ASL and respects that.

It's difficult to get a clear view.
Had AB been an option making a decision would have been more difficult.
But I understand the concerns. AB has had very bad press on at least 2 occaisions over the last 10 years. Cochlear had one recently..
It's easy to get scared by these incidents, and for the people affected it's terrible. In the end it's how the company reacts to the crisis that makes the difference.
I think that people want to go as high-tech as possible, and AB is doing great work there, or they seem to be doing great work. In the end, deaf people with MedEl, AB or Cochlear all lear to hear, listen, speak. And for all there's a difference of how good/bad their performance is.
I think difference of performance has not so much to do with the device itself.
Performance with Ci has all to do with a good surgean, a body that can adapt, a person that is willing to work, parents that are willing to be engaged and support organisations that do a good job.
And it's almost like a chain.. if one of the links break... no result...

From my understanding, the only difference between the two cochlear implants was the thickness, and the smaller (recalled) model used a different way to bond the ceramic (if I am remembering correctly what the audiologist had said), and it was allowing fluid from the head into the implant and short it out. With the thicker (and a little older) implant, it is the same technology, but has proven to be more stable. That is what I want... stability.

I understand AB has a new implant, but I do not think it has had enough time to be thoroughly tested, it could have major issues in just a few months or a few years. I don't want my princess or myself to have to go through a second surgery on the same ear, because of something that could have been avoided.

I really like your chain analogy, I think it is correct in the success of anything, not only a CI.

From my understanding, the only difference between the two cochlear implants was the thickness, and the smaller (recalled) model used a different way to bond the ceramic (if I am remembering correctly what the audiologist had said), and it was allowing fluid from the head into the implant and short it out. With the thicker (and a little older) implant, it is the same technology, but has proven to be more stable. That is what I want... stability.

I understand AB has a new implant, but I do not think it has had enough time to be thoroughly tested, it could have major issues in just a few months or a few years. I don't want my princess or myself to have to go through a second surgery on the same ear, because of something that could have been avoided.

You are correct on the differences between Cochlear's internal implants.

However, AB's internal implant, the 90k has been out since the first half of the 2000s (I believe 2004, but don't quote me on the exact year. I was implanted in 2006 and it had been out for 2 to 3 years by that point.) So it's had time to settle and get any quirks worked out. As you have seen, reliability is an issue with any implant producer.. given Cochlear's current recall on their latest revision of their internal implant. The Freedom implant is actually a more recent release relative to the AB Hi-Res 90k, though it also is a revision of their previous model which was released in the 1990s.. so if you look at it that way then it is still older than the 90k.

I think you might be confusing the release of the new Neptune processor with the internal implant. They are unrelated other than both the Harmony BTE and the Neptune processors use the Hi-Res 90k implant. Candidates who choose AB at most major Implant Centers actually can choose to have one of each processor or two of the same processor (the idea being you have one back up processor.)

I certainly understand your fears when it comes to reliability. No one wants to face having to deal with an internal failure. The truth is though.. all 3 implant manufacturers work hard at ensuring their implants are as reliable as possible. It is in the best interest of the patient and in their business. Even if you want to be conspiracy-minded about it and say Company A doesn't care about their patients as much as Company B, it is illogical. Their livelihood depends on it. None of them have the market cornered on reliability, despite what the marketing materials may say. It just isn't possible.

Realistically, an implant failure is not the end of the world and revision surgery is much easier than the initial surgery. Just something to keep in mind. If it does happen to you or your daughter, it's not the end of world and depending on when it happens... it may even be an opportunity upgrade to even better hearing (say if it happens 15 years from now.) Believe me, I do not wish to experience this myself as I have very good results with excellent music. I just wish to look at the big picture realistically so that if it should happen I take it in stride and get what needs to be done.. done. Ideally, we will never have to face a failure. Realistically... you will likely experience a change of implant at some point in your life. Do you really want to be using 30 year old technology 20 years from now? The hope would be that when you do upgrade it's by choice and not forced by failure. Currently though, insurance guidelines require failure before you can upgrade, so you may one day actually be hoping for failure so you can be freed from obsolete technology.

I have already stated this... but I will again. I have been using ASL from the time my parents found out I was deaf. They would drive a few hours to be able to go to a Deaf social so that I could be around adults who were fluent in ASL, and learn from their language model.
I still use ASL daily, with my family and friends, but since my princesses, I haven't been able to go to any Deaf socials, it has been hard, but at least my family still understands my need for ASL and respects that.

I have read some of your posts about both. Your girl is lucky to have you that she would have the full toolbox to access into the language.

I have read some of your posts about both. Your girl is lucky to have you that she would have the full toolbox to access into the language.

Thank you. My initial impression of you may have been wrong, and I offer my sincerest apologies for that. I find it difficult at times to remember that I should not judge people by their actions or words, only our Father in Heaven can judge people, and it is based on the content of their hearts.
I do not want to deprive my child of anything, I want her to have full access to language, and that will be ASL. But I also know that it is beneficial for adults to be able to speak as well as listen, and I want all of my princesses and princes to be able to have anything they desire in life. I know full well how some people can be prejudiced if you can not speak clearly or if you ask them to repeat, and I want my children to know, they are special, they are loved, and the only opinion that matters is their Lords.
I also know that when my tiny princess gets bigger, she may decide to stop using the implant, and if she does, that is fine with me as well as her father, but we want her to have the opportunity to use it to the best of her ability if she so chooses. The one thing we will not stand for though, is if she chooses to stop signing all together, because I know from experience, it is the only way to have full access to the world around us.

Creatednat, same here. my hearing kids get both, speaking and ASL, too. :)

Last edited:
Thank you. My initial impression of you may have been wrong, and I offer my sincerest apologies for that. I find it difficult at times to remember that I should not judge people by their actions or words, only our Father in Heaven can judge people, and it is based on the content of their hearts. ................
:grouphug:

That's an interesting change of view FF.. :cool2:
SO.. do yoU normally NOT read the posts before you post an answer, or have you received some inside information...:hmm:

Last edited:
SO.. do yo normally NOT read the posts before you post an answer, or have you got some inside information...:hmm:

Are you stirring this up something and throw a fit with me? It isnt about you. Ok

SO.. do yo normally NOT read the posts before you post an answer, or have you received some inside information...:hmm:

if her change of view is sincere, and I believe it is, she has been very civil and understanding, that is all that matters. what do you mean by inside information though?

My hope is that people understand that I am doing what is best for my daughter as well as myself, and that the only opinion that truly matters is my Heavenly Fathers.

SO.. do yo normally NOT read the posts before you post an answer, or have you received some inside information...:hmm:
Put your mudballs away. FF is not trying to climb into your special CI clubhouse.

if her change of view is sincere, and I believe it is, she has been very civil and understanding, that is all that matters. what do you mean by inside information though?

My hope is that people understand that I am doing what is best for my daughter as well as myself, and that the only opinion that truly matters is my Heavenly Fathers.
Amen..

Back