Deafness vs. Tourettes

Would you swap your deafness for tourettes?

• Total voters
I don't know why you think we suffer terribly. I'm both deaf and have TS. I'm not suffering at all, I've adapted to it.

People grow with what they have, embrace it openly. The only ones who suffer are the ones who don't know how to handle it and it's actually a rare case. I know there are people with far off worse disabilities than ours, but they are perfectly happy with their lives. Far off happier than normal people even.

I understand where you're coming from in regards to this poll, but the comment you made sounded like you were pitying us for our "suffering."

No hard feelings though. :)

I like your attitude! :h5:

To a certain degree, but not entirely. Much of ASL use in native signers activates the same regions of the brain as using spoken language. They're doing important research on this at Purdue as we speak.

that "to a certain degree" is what makes a huge difference when it comes to genetic disorder.

I don't know why you think we suffer terribly. I'm both deaf and have TS. I'm not suffering at all, I've adapted to it.

People grow with what they have, embrace it openly. The only ones who suffer are the ones who don't know how to handle it and it's actually a rare case. I know there are people with far off worse disabilities than ours, but they are perfectly happy with their lives. Far off happier than normal people even.

I understand where you're coming from in regards to this poll, but the comment you made sounded like you were pitying us for our "suffering."

No hard feelings though. :)

No hard feelings at all. I was thinking of the worst case scenerio when I posted that. I amended my statement in another post to acknowledge the wide range of symptoms that a person may have. I think in terms of extremes sometime, so my apologies. I also didn't mean to imply pity whatsoever. I, myself, am wheelchair bound. I understand your POV completely!

:wave:

Am I the only one who finds this idea offensive?

People with Tourette's suffer terribly; just like the Deaf do. It's no better. Be thankful for what you have, guys. It could always be worse.

I have two cousins with moderately severe Tourettes and my daughter is Deaf. I find it a rather tasteless thread.

I haven't seen deaf people with Tourettes around here but my former property manager has Tourettes, just mild.

Back