Deafness vs. Tourettes

Would you swap your deafness for tourettes?

• Total voters

ExR

Reaction score
Would you swap your deafness for tourettes?

Personally I wouldn't!

Here's an interesting video: (no sign language)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jBFbCCleY]YouTube - Teenage Tourette's Camp[/ame]

Last edited:
coolest

I want tourettes. People will think you're a rapper. If you are deaf people see you sign and think you are a spaz

With each passing day I am getting more comfortable with my deafness, I certainly wouldn't swap it now! :aw:

With each passing day I am getting more comfortable with my deafness, I certainly wouldn't swap it now! :aw:

I must master your jedi ways... :giggle:

I'm 25 yrs old and STILL struggle with being comfortable with my deafness... but at least I've finally opened the door to that now.

No cc working for me. I don't feel comfortable saying which i prefer to be, since everyone who get something that can't control over it.

Are there any documented cases of a deaf person having Tourette's and expressing the twitches/outbursts in ASL?

I have a mild case of TS, nothing like cursing. A lot of people often think that TS involve cursing, but it's actually a rare case. It's mainly tics and twitches, sometimes verbal like grunting or humming.

When I was younger, I shook my head constantly. My TS symptoms are getting less and less now, thank god. I have a hearing friend who has TS and he does a funky thing with his arms and shakes his head violently.

Wish this poll had the option for deaf people who already have TS. ;)

I have a mild case of TS, nothing like cursing. A lot of people often think that TS involve cursing, but it's actually a rare case. It's mainly tics and twitches, sometimes verbal like grunting or humming.

When I was younger, I shook my head constantly. My TS symptoms are getting less and less now, thank god. I have a hearing friend who has TS and he does a funky thing with his arms and shakes his head violently.

Wish this poll had the option for deaf people who already have TS. ;)

But never anything that resulted in you involuntarily signing in ASL?

Nope. And I've never seen a deaf person with TS involuntarily sign in ASL. Don't think it's even possible.

I wonder why that is. Guess it would point to TS being a physiological condition completely unrelated to language processing areas of the brain. Interesting stuff.

Am I the only one who finds this idea offensive?

People with Tourette's suffer terribly; just like the Deaf do. It's no better. Be thankful for what you have, guys. It could always be worse.

I did watch the video but OB, I didn't think it served me to answer the question..for me, it <original post> was an insensitive thing to ask.
The video also does show the more extreme examples of symptoms of TS, not necessarily representative of what is possible with Tourette's.
But I also don't think I can group all people with TS as suffering terribly, the same way I don't group all d/Deaf people as suffering terribly.

Am I the only one who finds this idea offensive?

People with Tourette's suffer terribly; just like the Deaf do. It's no better. Be thankful for what you have, guys. It could always be worse.

I don't know why you think we suffer terribly. I'm both deaf and have TS. I'm not suffering at all, I've adapted to it.

People grow with what they have, embrace it openly. The only ones who suffer are the ones who don't know how to handle it and it's actually a rare case. I know there are people with far off worse disabilities than ours, but they are perfectly happy with their lives. Far off happier than normal people even.

I understand where you're coming from in regards to this poll, but the comment you made sounded like you were pitying us for our "suffering."

No hard feelings though. :)

Are there any documented cases of a deaf person having Tourette's and expressing the twitches/outbursts in ASL?

good question but not quite possible since ASL and Spoken Language functioned differently in brain.

I did watch the video but OB, I didn't think it served me to answer the question..for me, it <original post> was an insensitive thing to ask.
The video also does show the more extreme examples of symptoms of TS, not necessarily representative of what is possible with Tourette's.
But I also don't think I can group all people with TS as suffering terribly, the same way I don't group all d/Deaf people as suffering terribly.

That's true. There are extremes in everything, but also, a middle ground. Not everyone with Tourette's has severe symptoms.

But, I still will say that one shouldn't wish for something else. It's just a very pessimistic view in my opinion.

good question but not quite possible since ASL and Spoken Language functioned differently in brain.

To a certain degree, but not entirely. Much of ASL use in native signers activates the same regions of the brain as using spoken language. They're doing important research on this at Purdue as we speak.

Back