deaf

Redray

Reaction score
Greetings. I was diagnosed with Meniere's Syndrome in 1995, gradually lost my hearing in my right ear, have a hearing aid for my left ear but on Dec 1 had a sudden and profound increase in tinnitus and equally profound decrease of hearing in left ear. I went to the hospital, to my doctor, audiologist and ENT. Had steroids injected into my ear and no change. I have 0% speech clarity in my right ear and 16% speech clarity in my left ear. Hearing is in the 90 decibel level which makes me profoundly deaf. I am realizing that this is probably permanent and I am coming to grasps with the reality that my life is going to be a whole lot different. Decided to sign up to this forum to make connections, get support etc. I have rudimentary ASL and a good deaf friend of mine is encouraging me to learn ASL because he says it will open up a new world for me. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Good to see you here. Many good people and allot of information

Welcome aboard to AD! Enjoy your stay! :wave:

Hi Redray! Welcome to AllDeaf:) I think your friend is right. Are there any ASL classes available to you in your area?

Hello Redray,
Welcome to AD. Sorry you are losing your hearing and experience deafness. You will find the needed support from your Deaf friend and through this Forum. Good luck and Best Wishes for the Holidays. :).

I to just became deaf at 52 . It's been eight months of not hearing and the tinnitus just gets worse . I as well am trying to come to terms with the changes it has brought. Have no deaf friends but my wife is learning to sign with me . Know the alphabet and numbers working on more . Good luck in your adapting to this new life !!

Thanks everyone for your welcome and advice. Yes, I do have some resources locally to learn ASL and have several friends who want to learn with me. It sure is a change. I find one of the most frustrating things is going into a store, stating that I can not hear, looking for a simple yes or no answer and it turns into a conversation with not only me but other clerks or people. I am trying to figure out a way to handle this without losing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for your welcome and advice. Yes, I do have some resources locally to learn ASL and have several friends who want to learn with me. It sure is a change. I find one of the most frustrating things is going into a store, stating that I can not hear, looking for a simple yes or no answer and it turns into a conversation with not only me but other clerks or people. I am trying to figure out a way to handle this without losing it. Any suggestions?

Carry paper and pencil with you? Ask them to write the answer?

I am having the same problem. The easier answer is to not start conversations but this just makes me feel more disconnected from people. When I tell people I am deaf and ask them if they could speak slower, most of them just say, oh, that's ok, and don't attempt to repeat themselves. I love it when people take the time to speak to me in a way I can understand and some people do do this. I so appreciate it. It makes me feel connected. I have gotten into the habit of telling people right off the bat that I am deaf and that I need to read their lips in order to understand them. If it is something important and I am by myself, I have to figure out a way to understand them, and I do. Even if it means having them write things down. I have to realize that there are people who have patience and will go out of their way to communicate with me, and those that won't. The ones that won't make me feel sad for awhile. I feel like I don't belong, but then I run into someone who knows sign language or who talks to me in a way I can understand and it feels good. And I have hope. I would just make it known right away that you are deaf, otherwise people can just go on and on and talk a mile a minute and you won't understand a thing. And it will make you feel bad because you didn't understand anything they said. good luck

Yea, the tinnitus is constant and at times quite noisy. I have sound distortion that seems to make it worse. If I leave my home to drive my car or go shopping by the time I am finished my head is a "gong" show. Even talking to people, the vibration of my voice increases it. I know from past experience that it will settle down and hopefully this will happens this time. People who do not know what it is like to not hear have asked me how I adjust to the silence and I say what silence - it is bloody noisy in here. So I can relate on some level as to how annoying tinnitus can be. I wonder if anyone has any solutions.

:wave:

Sounds like you are on the right track. I wish you luck. It's tough. I know someone who uses their smartphone with an app as a quick way to 'write' to hearing people, though am not sure how the hearing person would respond back- not sure I'd let some stranger touch my phone! :lol:

Thanks for the tips. Carry paper and pen helps and using the message board on my cellphone helps also.

Back