Deaf Schools may be declining in the future

That's bad title. Anyway... Vermont? that's explain why tax doesn't spend well. Texas have huge tax spend on school. Thank to lottery.

Yes, I noticed that Texas has high property tax, but no income tax.

Despite about high property tax, some Texan school districts are bad, so it is better to homeschooling the child and I think that Texas is very flexible with homeschooling.

Yes, I noticed that Texas has high property tax, but no income tax.

Despite about high property tax, some Texan school districts are bad, so it is better to homeschooling the child and I think that Texas is very flexible with homeschooling.

Ugh no....How many parents of special needs kids do you know who are well trained to teach them? Yes, its relatively easy to accomondate say a mentally disabled kid or a physcially disabled kid with homeschooling......but most parents of dhh kids are NOT trained to teach them......

Ugh no....How many parents of special needs kids do you know who are well trained to teach them? Yes, its relatively easy to accomondate say a mentally disabled kid or a physcially disabled kid with homeschooling......but most parents of dhh kids are NOT trained to teach them......

The education is your personal responsibility.

I can homeschooling my future child, even deaf or not, but Texas has deaf school in Austin, so it is not hard to educate the deaf child with extra steps, especially lecture in ASL.

Parent make decision about goes to sign language or oral so I'm out of their position.

I can homeschooling my future child, even deaf or not, but Texas has deaf school in Austin, so it is not hard to educate the deaf child with extra steps, especially lecture in ASL.

Parent make decision about goes to sign language or oral so I'm out of their position.

Yes,it is. However very few parents (especially hearing parents) are TRAINED specificly to teach dhh kids. That's the piece of the puzzle you're missing....even people with a teaching background wouldn't nessarily have the background or training to teach a dhh (or blind/low vision) kid......that's pretty much the same problem with mainstreaming a dhh kid.....they don't generally have access to teachers who are well trained in teaching dhh kids (except for maybe a 15 mintue once a week consult with an itinerent TOD)

Yes,it is. However very few parents (especially hearing parents) are TRAINED specificly to teach dhh kids. That's the piece of the puzzle you're missing....even people with a teaching background wouldn't nessarily have the background or training to teach a dhh (or blind/low vision) kid......that's pretty much the same problem with mainstreaming a dhh kid.....they don't generally have access to teachers who are well trained in teaching dhh kids (except for maybe a 15 mintue once a week consult with an itinerent TOD)

I know of a mom who homeschooled her deaf kid... but she more or less went to the school for the deaf and stuff so much that she picked up a good chunk of knowledge of both ASL (through classes) and teaching strategies. I don't remember being told exactly why she chose homeschooling, but I heard that kid did very well.

I know of a mom who homeschooled her deaf kid... but she more or less went to the school for the deaf and stuff so much that she picked up a good chunk of knowledge of both ASL (through classes) and teaching strategies. I don't remember being told exactly why she chose homeschooling, but I heard that kid did very well.

I said very few......They do exist....but generally your average parent won't be trained to teach a dhh kid. I'm assuming that the mom was ASL fluent and also strongly utilized the School's outreach system. Also, did she K-12 him? That's really the thing.......It's VERY hard to school a little kid when you're not familiar with how to meet their special needs (ie dhh, or blind/low vision) I also know a mom who HAD to homeschool her son (it was an international sitution) She says although its working out well,she still doesn't trust herself.....b/c after all she isn't well trained.......it's basicly....where's the oversight?

I said very few......They do exist....but generally your average parent won't be trained to teach a dhh kid. I'm assuming that the mom was ASL fluent and also strongly utilized the School's outreach system. Also, did she K-12 him? That's really the thing.......It's VERY hard to school a little kid when you're not familiar with how to meet their special needs (ie dhh, or blind/low vision) I also know a mom who HAD to homeschool her son (it was an international sitution) She says although its working out well,she still doesn't trust herself.....b/c after all she isn't well trained.......it's basicly....where's the oversight?

Virtually no parent of any kid is trained to teach when they have their first child. However many of them make it work well.

My father and stepmother obtained teaching credentials, as you could not teach without them during my childhood. I was only homeschooled a few years, but those years are when I learned the most.

Do you think deaf and HoH kids need special treatment?

I do know she wasn't initially fluent but apparently worked very hard to get that way. I don't remember if it was a case of utilizing the deaf school's outreach, thinking all the school options were crap (I vaguely remember her school district not being at all helpful and just basically not meeting her kid's needs or letting her properly place him elsewhere, like the deaf school), or maybe a little bit of both. (Also, I've used the term "know of" instead of "know" because I heard of her through a (admittedly detailed) story told to me last year. Wish I could remember more. Darn it.)

I do agree that parents often aren't prepared to teach kids, particularly when those kids don't learn like they did (whether that's a different language or a vastly different actual form of learning). There are some parents I wouldn't trust to make sure their kid's getting adequate language input, let alone academic input.

Let me put it this way.......they have teachers for hearing kids, and then they have teachers specificly trained to teach dhh kids....See what I mean?

Not the kind of special treatment to treat them like those poor children who need to be babied but a different approach to teaching. That's why there are certifications in deaf education.

not only, hearies are forcing CI , they are stealing signs, ASL etc too!, think about it, interpreters.....and look of booking power on our side of the equation.....not good!

you see...with 'increased tolerance' for 'different people' have a cost too, it is 'increased tolerance' for economic reductionalism..... very BAD!!!!!

Not the kind of special treatment to treat them like those poor children who need to be babied but a different approach to teaching. That's why there are certifications in deaf education.

Exactly! Thank you Shel! This isn't just limited to dhh......I'd be concerned with say blind/low vision homeschooling and other conditions that would require specialized instruction...

They will force implant us, right from birth, and those Deafie later force implant no choice, hearie wet dream. Bastards!!!! We can't stop it, technology to advanced, they are after our culture, they won't accept us as Deafie with our own language. Bastards!!!! Mark my words. The only reason why they haven't is because up till recently technology was to primitive and bulky for it, now it's getting cheaper chaper smaller smaller digital, damn, they will force feed this vile shit to every Deafie baby. Bastards!!! Now I need a light for this fat joint. Enough

The closing of Deaf schools cannot be solely attributed to the perception that the majority of the hearing population is after us (i.e., forcing CI's, the refusal to accept the Deaf culture, measures against American Sign Language). It is not fair nor realistic to label all hearing persons under this category. If you do, it's going to defeat the overall purpose here. And I say this as a deaf person myself.

There are several other factors at play here. If you read the article on the closing of the Austine School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, you will see that the primary reason was the lack of funds itself... not the intention to destroy the Deaf culture. With the economy's slow recovery from the Great Recession, several school districts and boards are hard-pressed to make budget cuts. Deaf Schools often aren't on the high-priority list of educational programs and services.

You have to stick with ASL so that the child can understand you better with homeschooling. On the other hand, I feel that the Deaf or Hard Of Hearing child would want to associate with other d/Deaf and HOH children to play and to talk in ASL. This is one of the problem when Deaf and HOH children had problems not meeting their needs to be with other Deaf and HOH children.

That is why Deaf schools provide the Deaf program and to be with other Deaf children.

If you only homeschool your Deaf child, then this child will feel lonely without any one to play after the lessons or between lessons. Unless you have more (2 to 3 kids) than one Deaf or HOH to homeschool them. That would be great so that they can play together during the break and after lessons are finished. :hmm:

Back