Deaf school

sarahkhan

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to a deaf school that I used to attend for nursery(only for nursery and after that I have been maintreamed) for changing the tube of my hearing aid. There was a poster on the wall in the school stating " Now there will be no more excuses for not wearing hearing aids"and under that text was a photo of many pairs of hearing aids. That really pisses me off. I mean, is not that kind of rude? I am okay with advertising hearing aids, BUT not in this way. I mean this will lead parents into thinking in a wrong way....like" oh, that mean, my children was just being arrogant for not wearing it and was lying about not hearing properly with it, so next time I wont listen to them and I will force them to wear it".

And there was another thing, when the staff was changing the tube and I was standing near, and when wanted to ask something, he call my mom and tell her. If she does not understand anything, he then asked my brother.....and of all this not to me even ONCE. What kind of attitude is this?And I thought people in this school will know about deaf people more...I am really disappointed with this school.

The principal was really annoying too. I met him at the school. I ask him whether there is course for sign language...guess what was his answer? "Oh there is no need for learning sign language, because you are wearing hearing aids and you can hear perfectly.....and so don't waste time on learning it" and he is a deaf too and wears hearing aids. My mom got so hung over his statement that whenever I tried to speak about learning sign language she ignored me. So what was that about......is this a really place for deaf kids? I really feel like taking over the principal place and make the school better..... if this principal is like this, God know how the student is managing with this kind of negatives attitude. :pissed:

I know how you feel. There are a lot of schools with the same ignorant attitude.

There are some schools that have deaf programs or mainstream programs, but they try to encourage oral learning or sign-less learning... unless the person is deaf and too dumb to be educated (they are then considered "special education"). Even the principals/teachers are too lazy to do their jobs.

What is the school's philosophy?

BiBi
TC
Oral-only

I researched more about this school and found that it is oral-only.

I remember clearly back in days in nursery(I was three year old) and it was one of my strongest memory, and the teacher even did not use much of her voice and use more of gesture..maybe she was using sign language. I hate it when school dont allow the children to learn sign language. *sigh* And I though I could finally learn sign language. So for now I will search broader.

I remember clearly back in days in nursery(I was three year old) and it was one of my strongest memory, and the teacher even did not use much of her voice and use more of gesture..maybe she was using sign language. I hate it when school dont allow the children to learn sign language. *sigh* And I though I could finally learn sign language. So for now I will search broader.

Not surprised that people who work at oral-only programs or schools would have that attitude. -smh

Eek, that's quite disrespectful!! My old primary school used Total Communication and I can't imagine if they started to become more oral focused.

Yea, my first question was what school... Yep oral only. Not surprised. At all.

It's just amazing how many parents are more than willing to put their kids there.

Wow, that was offensive. My boarding school is oral (though everyone sign anyway behind teachers' backs) and there were one teacher that I wasn't particularly fond of - he's against us apply for benefits, sign or apply for university that offer the best support for the deaf (you should see his expression when I revealed the uni I'm going). He believed that we don't need them and can be a "hearing person" if we try it.

well that just figures..

Wow, that was offensive. My boarding school is oral (though everyone sign anyway behind teachers' backs) and there were one teacher that I wasn't particularly fond of - he's against us apply for benefits, sign or apply for university that offer the best support for the deaf (you should see his expression when I revealed the uni I'm going). He believed that we don't need them and can be a "hearing person" if we try it.

oh boy.

Bet he's not deaf, is he?

Mary Hare? That's cool that it's oral, but also is OK with Sign, outside of the classroom. And let me guess, that teacher was prolly one of those old fashioned ones, from when Mary Hare demonized BSL.

Back