Deaf Like Me

And vice-versa..... Of course..... and that works both ways as well....

But my question was.....
What happened to the mindset of the deaf world towards the hearing world?

My guess is those deaf who interact well with the hearing do much to show them they are just as smart and all. It's those who are smart and decide that every little thing needs to be an ADA complaint or is proof that the hearing don't want them around that make the poor impression that really helps the steriotypes continue. Many do need to learn that you can catch more bees with honey.

What's sad is you think it's sad that your daughter had to explain that you were deaf and need the relay.

Hmmm, I don't get what you are saying. I didn't say it was sad that she had to explain the relay. Go back and re-read what I said. The friend thought it was sad that we were deaf. Get it now?

I as a parent of a child with mental retardation and hoh happen to disagree with you and dfk. Oh and I'm deaf. :)

That's your right to disagree. I don't know exactly what you're disagreeing with , but you have a right to do so. :p

I just had a great meeting with Paul Ogden! During this meeting, the topic of acceptance of deaf and deaf culture by the hearing world came up. He felt very strongly that the relations between deaf and hearing have improved drastically over the last 40 years.

Sorry, I forget to explain who Paul is,

Paul Ogden

I agree with Paul Ogden. Doesn't make what I said untrue. There is still a long ways to go.

I completely agree.Doesn't make what I said wrong. However, we as a society have come a long way.

While I think the mainstream hearing society is more cognizant of deaf people, there are things that bother me. I have seen how deaf people are treated rudely, and yes as if they lack mental capacity because they are deaf, in ways that would never occur to people who are blind or physically challenged.

This summer my daughter had a minor fender bender in a parking lot. She was more at fault but both drivers should have been more attentive. The lady in the other car bagan screaming that she should not be allowed to drive because she is deaf. When my wife came to the accident scene, the woman actually knew my wife but not our daughter and changed her tune. Also the police officer was great basically telling her to knock it off.

Is Deaf Like Me the book about the deaf daughter growing up, but from the mother's point of view? I read that a few months back and remember really enjoying it, but can't remember their names.

Deaf Like Me was written by Cohen, right?? If it's the book I'm remembering, it was very good. Just finished reading Missing Words. Very good book, too. My wife read it because she's doing many of the things that anger deaf or HOH people so much. She has stopped saying nevermind when I can't read her lips and has learned to repeat without attitude.

I have to find more books for her to learn what she won't learn/listen to me.

I do not recall who wrote it. It was written by the father of a deaf girl. She was born deaf in the late 60s'. Her mom got the german measeles while pregnant with her. The story is about the challenges of trying to raise her oral based on lip reading. After 4 years, they realise that sign would be the best option for her. The underlying theme in the story is how people who sign are percieved as less intelligent. They deal heavily with the bias against the deaf community it the 60-mid 70s. After a while, they realize that sign is a beautiful language and they all embrace sign and the deaf community.
It really is a great book.

Since I wasn't born deaf, I understand Why I cannot relate to that kind of deafness. I have been partially deaf for 20 years. I have been experiencing negative things since then. Then a year ago, I totally lost my hearing. I knew that deaf people could drive, or do just about anything anybody else could do. But I didn't realize how bad the the ridicule would be after I did loose all of my hearing. The First thing somebody said to me was "You aren't driving around like that, Are you?" There are a lot of people who think I should just sit here. I just ignore them all. I do what I want. I just have to be carefull cuz I have vertigo sometimes that's very bad. I just have to use common sense. But Most people don't think I can do that either. I guess they think all my intelligence went out the door with my hearing. Aliboo

Is Deaf Like Me the book about the deaf daughter growing up, but from the mother's point of view? I read that a few months back and remember really enjoying it, but can't remember their names.

Written by Thomas Spradley, and is about his deaf daughter from a father's perspective.

Back