Deaf Like Me

I don't think things have changed as much as you think. Parents in your generation and younger often feel similar to their parents but in different ways. If you used ASL they thought you were dumb, today many still think that. Witness many of the posts here at AD.
That's not what I have seen.... have I missed something??

Look at how many parents think that implanting a CI in a baby is going to make them better people than those who are not implanted. (I'm not againsdt the CI, just the attitude that they often exhibit).
On the contrairy. Parents are here BECAUSE the KNOW their children are deaf.

Here on AD if you support ASL many call you an extremist.
Again, I totally disagree with your point of view...
It goes on and on. The attituddes are the same, they just manifest in different ways now.
It's interesting how we perceive this site completely different !!

DKF, I totally disagree with you opinion. But seeing that it is you opinion, you are more than entitled to it.

Taylor, there seem to be ALOT of other things that the older officers do/say/think that are quite different huh? I am all for some of the methods of policing, but definately not soem of the philosphies, attitudes, bias and opinions. But this is for another discussion.

I don't think things have changed as much as you think. Parents in your generation and younger often feel similar to their parents but in different ways. If you used ASL they thought you were dumb, today many still think that. Witness many of the posts here at AD. Look at how many parents think that implanting a CI in a baby is going to make them better people than those who are not implanted. (I'm not againsdt the CI, just the attitude that they often exhibit). Here on AD if you support ASL many call you an extremist. It goes on and on. The attituddes are the same, they just manifest in different ways now.

dkf747, While some may disagree with your post, I happen to agree with it. I too have been accused of being anti CI, and there are those who don't seem to accept my explanation that I am not against CI, but the attitude that CI makes a deaf child any less deaf.

I do somewhat agree with dkf747. It does seem like a lot of the parents who choose strict oralism (like very strict auditory-verbal style) are the types who just want "healthy normal" superfically perfect designer kids. I can understand that mentality............I mean it took me til I was seventeen to learn to come to terms with the fact that I'm hoh. I understand that it takes time to learn that a disabilty is just a difference, like hair color, eye color or whatever. I just wish more of those parents would REALIZE that. Instead they just spend hours and hours whining that they wish their kids were "normal" and healthy, and ignoring the possibilty that Sign and or other "speshal needs" things could be of BENIFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Seeing as you are not deaf, that doesn't surpise me'. Now what kind of comment is that? The obvious statement in return is, Seeing that you are deaf, youhave never been around hearing people when there are no deaf people around. So you really dont know what hearing people say or think about deaf people do you?
If a person ahs something negative to say about deaf people, the overwhelming odds are, they will not say it in the presence of deaf people.
This is the perspective that I was referring to when I created this thread.
The way deaf people were treated in the past was truly horrible. The only perspective I have of these times are reading about it, and talking to people that experienced it. But, I do know from personal experience that the mindset of the hearing world towards the deaf world has changed overall for the better.

......... But, I do know from personal experience that the mindset of the hearing world towards the deaf world has changed overall for the better.
I wonder.... What happened to the mindset of the deaf world towards the hearing world??

"Seeing as you are not deaf, that doesn't surpise me'. Now what kind of comment is that? The obvious statement in return is, Seeing that you are deaf, youhave never been around hearing people when there are no deaf people around. So you really dont know what hearing people say or think about deaf people do you?

I was hearing until age 11 (Hard of hearing since then). I didn't really get into ASL and Deaf Culture until I was around 22. So what was that again, about not knowing what hearing people say about deaf people?

If a person ahs something negative to say about deaf people, the overwhelming odds are, they will not say it in the presence of deaf people.
This is the perspective that I was referring to when I created this thread.
The way deaf people were treated in the past was truly horrible. The only perspective I have of these times are reading about it, and talking to people that experienced it. But, I do know from personal experience that the mindset of the hearing world towards the deaf world has changed overall for the better.

Things seem better, and I actually agree about that. My point was that there is still a long ways to go. "Better" is a relative term. How much "better"? To me it is not as much as you imply. Why do you think Gallaudet students were getting arrested last night? Because it isn't as much better as it ought to be. (Note: that IMHO, the protests are about much more than JKF).

How old are you now? I am not trying to say that you are wrong. In fact you are 100% correct in the statment that things are better but there is still a long way to go. Spot on!
As far as my statements, I am saying that I have not seen/heard much of anything negative to wards deaf people as far back as I can remember. Keep in mind, I have law enforcement so I pretty much have contact with all walks of life. I encounter the worst at thier best and the best at thier worst. I have to face people when their biases are flaring and raging out fo control. The onlt time I recall anything negative being said about a deaf person was when a deaf guy was arrested for a robbery. He was saying some pretty nasty things about the people around him, so naturally the people around him were saying some pretty nasty things about him. He ignored the fact that there were several witnesses to his crime, we caught him on video surviellance commiting the crime, we had the statements of the victim who he assaulted the hell out of. Even then, no one even knew (or even cared) that he was deaf. Between his rants he kept yelling that the only reason we are arresting him is because he is deaf.
That is the only time I recall a persons hearing ability was even close to being an issue.
As far as all of the deaf people getting arrested last night, I dont know. What kind of protest was it a Gaulludet?

I'm 39 now.

You can read about the protest in the news forums or education forums here. No need for me to go over it again.

Hearing ability should not be an issue, but it often is. There are still emplkoyers who discriminate based on hearing ability, for example there's UPS. I know what you mean when you say you don't hear it anymore. My point was that some of it has taken different forms, but the same underlying negativity is there. It may be lelss, but it is there.

Just this morning my daughter shared about a conversation she had with a new friend. The friend wondered why, when she called, a relay operator always answered (IP Relay number). She told her friend (age 12) that her parents were deaf. Her friend said, "that's sad", but my daughter told her she was not sad about it. She didn't see any reason to feel sad about it. I'm glad she taught someone something, but she gets people saying that kind of thing al of the time and she's only 12. I will gree, it happens less often than in the past, but it still happens.

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Cloggy, Very well said. I notice no one else has responded to your post.

DKF, I have read a little about the Gal. protests and arrests. I spent about an hour trying to find out why people were protesting JKF. Besides a ladyu talking about an event that happened 20 years ago, I cant find anything explainiing why she is soooo wrong for the job.

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Cloggy, Very well said. I notice no one else has responded to your post.

DKF, I have read a little about the Gal. protests and arrests. I spent about an hour trying to find out why people were protesting JKF. Besides a ladyu talking about an event that happened 20 years ago, I cant find anything explainiing why she is soooo wrong for the job.

Try here:
Gally FSSA News

Manifesto from DPN Leaders
Filed under: General — gufssa @ 7:00 pm

Manifesto

October 16, 2006

<snipped> go to above site to read it.

I thought that was a well written letter, among many others.

I wonder.... What happened to the mindset of the deaf world towards the hearing world??

The mindset of the deaf towards the hearing world is based on the mindset of the hearing toward the deaf world. Continued predjudiced ideas and discrimination create skepticism and suspicion.

Cloggy said:
What happened to the mindset of the deaf world towards the hearing world??

The mindset of the deaf towards the hearing world is based on the mindset of the hearing toward the deaf world.
And vice-versa.....
Continued predjudiced ideas and discrimination create skepticism and suspicion.
Of course..... and that works both ways as well....

But my question was.....
What happened to the mindset of the deaf world towards the hearing world?

What do you mean by that question?
Does the change have to come from one side?
I feel that the attitude of the hearing world has changed over the last decennia.
What about the opposite?

Does the change have to come from one side?
I feel that the attitude of the hearing world has changed over the last decennia.
What about the opposite?

Both sides need to change, but as posted in this thread, things have not changed enough.

I'm 39 now.

Just this morning my daughter shared about a conversation she had with a new friend. The friend wondered why, when she called, a relay operator always answered (IP Relay number). She told her friend (age 12) that her parents were deaf. Her friend said, "that's sad", but my daughter told her she was not sad about it. She didn't see any reason to feel sad about it. I'm glad she taught someone something, but she gets people saying that kind of thing al of the time and she's only 12. I will gree, it happens less often than in the past, but it still happens.

What's sad is you think it's sad that your daughter had to explain that you were deaf and need the relay. REmember there really arent that many deaf people out there, many here seem to advocate deaf education in deaf schools. So how would a child not exposed to deaf children from the beginning of her entrance into school know anything about how deaf people communicate on phones and such. It will continue to happen because being deaf DOES separate you from the hearing. I love me CI. And I am actually older then you so I do know how the deaf were shuttled off to their residencial schools and saw their families a couple weeks a year. Luckily I heard well enough to survive out in the wild. :)

Back