Deaf & KFC drive-thru

I don't ever bother with the drive through. I go inside and order every single time.

I go in, but I like the note at the window idea. When I go in, I order in voice or pen and paper. I speak, but apparently that does not always work. (I dont think I have a problem) I watch who was ahead of me in line. They get theirs, then the next one should be mine. It works most of the time.

Well, except for the time the kid at the counter muppet mouthed "are you deaf?" I nodded yes. She told me I had to write it down cause she couldnt read lips." lol

Once I got free cake at DQ cause the cashier was sooo funny. We established that I was indeed deaf, that if she turned her head my xray vision could not read her lips through the back of her head, that she did not read print. ehhhh. OK, so I finally was able to get my order. She pointed at the seating area and mimed she would call me. I opted to wait there, so I could see. "No, I wll call you." This banter goes on.... Finally I said, ok, you call, but I still wont hear you and flipped my aids at her. (Just a flick to show them) Everyone laughed, and the manager laughed so hard. I got free cake... woooo.

Me too, but if it is raining I now know I can write my order and stay in the car :aw:
same here. I rip a piece off paper because sometimes they take it in and carry it around in kitchen because they couldn't read my writings...or/and forgot to give it back to me. :roll: :lol:

I am going to give this a go, too often I don't hear (see) them calling me and someone jumps the queue. This would solve the problem.

Nice tip, thanks :lol:
before you go, STAY by where the microphone is to not let the car behind you order until the car in front of you leaves the window. sometimes there's two windows; one for paying then next one, food so one time I passed the order board and parked behind the front car waiting then saw the car behind me came up and made an order which had made the guy in paying window thought it was my order. lesson learned. I had to tell him that it wasn't me, and handed him my written order.

also, sometimes they would take your order then asks you to drive around, back into drive thru to let cars flow--don't do that! you went there and got there first and be sure you demand for your food first before leaving. sorry, they gotta learn.

I had my first drive threw "episode" a couple nights ago. Usually there is a display I can read and I take my cue from it and repeat till its right and then go to the window when it blinks and says my total. But this time I was riding with my mom and me and my daughter were in back. She got the the KFC window and he gave her the total (me paying) and I read her lips in the mirror (very flawed way to do it!). She asked why it was $10 when I ordered a $5 menu item. SO I in shock started askign a lot of questions and she was trying to ask the guy in the window for me who was completely confused. Ends up he never said that but it took like 15 min of arguing with him to figure out she was not paying attention and told me the wrong total since I could not hear the drive through guy. Poor guy. She had him totally confused and really worried about the order.... I thought I was being over charged or the order was wrong.... It was all my mom not paying attention and telling me wrong since I could not read his lips myself.

same here. I rip a piece off paper because sometimes they take it in and carry it around in kitchen because they couldn't read my writings...or/and forgot to give it back to me. :roll: :lol:

before you go, STAY by where the microphone is to not let the car behind you order until the car in front of you leaves the window. sometimes there's two windows; one for paying then next one, food so one time I passed the order board and parked behind the front car waiting then saw the car behind me came up and made an order which had made the guy in paying window thought it was my order. lesson learned. I had to tell him that it wasn't me, and handed him my written order.

also, sometimes they would take your order then asks you to drive around, back into drive thru to let cars flow--don't do that! you went there and got there first and be sure you demand for your food first before leaving. sorry, they gotta learn.

I must admit I chickened out last night as it was very busy here, Pat Benetar and the Bangles were in concert, so I went in and waited for the food.

Next time though, and waiting for the car in front I would have not thought of, thank you! :eek3:

sometimes it is impossible to see if the other car left if you wait by the microphone.

If I want fast order, sometimes I just go by sheetz and use their electronic menu :) Supper fast :)

I had to do that the other day because our son was hungry. I didn't really feel like dealing with people and misunderstanding so I took him to sheetz.

What is sheetz? :confused:

Chain of convenience stores, popular in the north East:

vfiles14916.jpg

These places are extremely convenient for the deaf, since you order all your food on the electronic menu. No communication with human beings needed. And, yes, the food is much, much better and fresher than the fast food places.

Wawa%20Wall.JPG

royal_farms_store_redrunblvd_007.png

I go inside too.

There are a lot of fast food restaurants that have display screens that show what you ordered. Those are helpful for me. :)

There are some fast food restaurants around here that have multiple windows... for ordering and pick up. :)

I never drive up and order since i don't have a car but besides.. I wud just go inside and order but if they made a mistake i wud get my order right for free... :roll:that applies to anywhere even for KFC too ;)

Back