Deaf driving

PsycExp

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a researcher at The University of Nottingham, UK, and am also a BSL signer. I've read on many forums that 26 countries still have a problem with deaf drivers, but I can't find out which countries these are. We are planning to conduct some driving experiments (in a simulator and a real car equiped with cameras) to show that deaf drivers are just as safe (or safer) than hearing drivers, but to write the proposal, I need to know some more about the 'stats'. If anyone knows where I can find out which countries do not allow deaf drivers, it would be a great help.

Many thanks!
Kat.

welcome to AD.

I was born deaf and have a license for years. I don't know anything about other countries. Sorry.

I think the biggest problem is training them. Make sure you train them well as it is hard to hear the instructors (the instructors will need a steering wheel and brake on his side for emergency... like mine did)

I've been driving for years and I'm a very visual driver. I can't say I never had a car accident but that was because I wasn't looking, not hearing! Just like anyone who followed to closely.

:wave: Welcome to Alldeaf!

I know Japan will not issue licence to deaf person. I know coz my cousin lives there. Ireland allows deaf drivers no problem. That all I know.

Hello,

I am a researcher at The University of Nottingham, UK, and am also a BSL signer. I've read on many forums that 26 countries still have a problem with deaf drivers, but I can't find out which countries these are. We are planning to conduct some driving experiments (in a simulator and a real car equiped with cameras) to show that deaf drivers are just as safe (or safer) than hearing drivers, but to write the proposal, I need to know some more about the 'stats'. If anyone knows where I can find out which countries do not allow deaf drivers, it would be a great help.

Many thanks!
Kat.

Check previous research done on the topic. Not only has it been done in the psych field under the discussion of split attention tasks, several insurance companies in the states compiled data on accident rates comparable between deaf and hearing drivers. Surely that research can lead you to the countries that forbid the deaf to drive. Personally, I am not aware of any country that has such a law.

Japan does not allow the deaf to drive? I thought they were a progressive country, not a regressive one.

India? Maybe b/c everyone's honking and drives like an idiot anyway?

Japan does not allow the deaf to drive? I thought they were a progressive country, not a regressive one.

India? Maybe b/c everyone's honking and drives like an idiot anyway?

Japan is a progressive country.... on technology side. America is progressive on human rights and equality. I would trade technology advancement for equality.

I can recall an accident years ago. I was backing out of a parking spot, and as always I looked behind me. It was dark and there were no oncoming traffic so I backed out some more.

All of a sudden I got jolted, the hit was hard because the back of my head connected with the window.

I got out and the woman who was driving the other car had beer breath. She just came out of the bar and was heading home. My brother was with me so he witnessed all of this, and said she did not have her headlights on. When the police arrived it was 45 minutes and we live in a small town.

The blame was placed on me. The police officer made the comment while speaking to the woman of the other vehicle that I should not be driving since I am deaf, my brother heard this and was upset.

Needless to say once we told our parents what happened they raised a stink and the police officer was ripped a new butt crack big time by the head sheriff at the time who just happened to know my parents.

Some accidents happen to Deaf and hard of hearing no matter how cautious and focused we are, we just end up with the blame. Which stinks.

Japan is known for forbidding deaf people not to drive, but they are working on to change the law in 2010, which I believe.

I do driving test on 4 jan. Now I have provisional licence which mean i can only drive if experienced driver in car. If I pass test I can drive on my own!

Hey I have held a licence since i was 17. Was made to learn by my parents and havent regretted it since:) was nerve wracking at first but got an amazinging patient and understanding instructor who was frankly... awesome. Oh i am HoH also.

Not had an accident in just under 10 years.

Oh andi Live in the UK btw which doesnt discriminate against deaf people learnign to drive. Although I too have been told that i shouldnt drive due my hearing loss. Strangely from dangerous idiotic drivers....

good luck

I do driving test on 4 jan. Now I have provisional licence which mean i can only drive if experienced driver in car. If I pass test I can drive on my own!

Good luck on your test party girl :) IM sure you will ace it.

Thank you. But I sorry to mention it now..in case I fail!:roll:

bah positivity lass! Took me three times because of nerves. Treated the last one just like a driving lesson and aced it!

If your instructor thinks your ready then your ready :) Dont worry about what anyone else thinks sweet.

bah positivity lass! Took me three times because of nerves. Treated the last one just like a driving lesson and aced it!

If your instructor thinks your ready then your ready :) Dont worry about what anyone else thinks sweet.

Don't actually hav instructer. was brought up on farm so i could drive before I could walk:lol: And I do have own car so I got lot of pratice. It just case maybe I have bad habits driving. that what I worry about

Don't actually hav instructer. was brought up on farm so i could drive before I could walk:lol: And I do have own car so I got lot of pratice. It just case maybe I have bad habits driving. that what I worry about

same here. Been driving since 2.

I got out and the woman who was driving the other car had beer breath. She just came out of the bar and was heading home. My brother was with me so he witnessed all of this, and said she did not have her headlights on. When the police arrived it was 45 minutes and we live in a small town.

The blame was placed on me. The police officer made the comment while speaking to the woman of the other vehicle that I should not be driving since I am deaf, my brother heard this and was upset.

Oh my goodness... I bet that was frightening! Did the police even give the woman a sobriety test?

Some hearing people use headphones/MP3 players/talk on the phone while driving, or listen to music so loud they wouldn't be able to hear any traffic related sounds anyway, so I don't understand how it can be rationalized that hearing impairment affects a person's ability to drive safely. ???

Back