Deaf demand right to designer deaf children

If a deaf couple want a deaf baby, I am all for it. Suppose a deaf person coming from long line of deaf ancestry, is not ablet to have a child then this person has the right to have a deaf embryo. If the laws forbid deaf embryos, I see it as an attempt at genocide. If there are much fewer deaf people in the future, those deaf people will have less power and less voice therefore less rights.

although i very much agree it is genocide, it baffles me how you come up with the conclusion that deaf people would end up with less power or rights.

If they think they have the right to reduce those people they consider to be burdensome to them, then us deaf have the right to reduce those people that we consider to be burdensome to us. Truth be told, it is the hearing people who refused to sign are the real burden on the deaf population.

who are we to force them to sign? they have no need to associate with one of us. it is not a necessity for them.

Another reason why I can see why deaf embryos are really wanted. Suppose I have children and my future descendants decide to bash on the deaf people, I would be rolling in my grave. Better to have deaf embryos.

this is a feeble-minded argument. you must be paranoid.

They are just trying to foist their ethnocentrism on us again and again. No ASL then no deaf embryos.

don't deaf people have their own version of ethnocentrism? the main gallaudet students are one of them.

dood, in case people didn't realize, wishing for a deaf embryo (via sperm donor with a deaf gene) is not a designed baby. a designed baby would be a DNA-manipulated baby.

Remember when the hearing parents want to have CI on the deaf/hard of hearing babies. That is a designing the babies to be hearing. They want to make the babies to hear, not deaf. That is why we said no to the CI on young children whether babies or young children like from a year of age to fifteen years old to adult. As for wanting to have deaf baby, it is natural for us deaf parent to want to have deaf baby from embryo bank. Other parents want to get different genes like blond or Spanish or perfect baby from the embryo bank. That is also a designing the babies, but that cost money to get genetic testing to find the right baby that the parent want to have. It just a wishful thinking or dreaming about having a deaf baby. We all have to accept what we get when we don't get a perfect baby. Just accept the child as is, just don't try to fix it. Just leave the child alone the way he or she is. That is all I have to say about this matter here. :grouphug:

dood, in case people didn't realize, wishing for a deaf embryo (via sperm donor with a deaf gene) is not a designed baby. a designed baby would be a DNA-manipulated baby.
Ditto. :)

I agree that genetic maniipulation of any sort is a scary concept. But I think the issue is, if hearing parents have the choice of embryo selection, then deaf parents should have the choice of embryo selection, as well. I have to support their right to choose, if that is their desire.

I see your point and I agree with that. Why should hearing parents have the rights to design a baby like them but deaf people cant? If rights are going to be granted, then it makes sense to grant it to everyone not just a certain group.

My deaf baby was happy and healthy! And now he is a happy, healthy adult. Deafness does not preclude happiness or health.

Neither does hearing.

This selection of designer babies sounds more like.....cloning.

Well people pick out Smart genes from sperm donors with high IQ's, but it is never 100%.

If they apply a deaf gene or donate a (a deaf sperm) it may not work. Then what? The deaf parents will set themselves up for a big disappointment.

My guess is that the deaf gene might not be a guaranteed deaf gene; one might get a Down's Syndrome or some other baby instead, right?

I think if hearies can choose embryos based on whether they carry a hearing or deaf gene (as in, if they can choose hearing over deaf) then we should be able to choose deaf over hearing.

This same article came up in a different forum (livejournal) the other day and I thought the contrast between what D/deaf people feel about the issue and how hearing people see the issue was interesting/eye opening/partly sickening. Here is the link wtf_inc: Deaf demand right to designer deaf children The comments might make you mad-- they did me!-- but I think it's helpful to know what thinking is out there so we can combat it.

although i very much agree it is genocide, it baffles me how you come up with the conclusion that deaf people would end up with less power or rights.

who are we to force them to sign? they have no need to associate with one of us. it is not a necessity for them.

don't deaf people have their own version of ethnocentrism? the main gallaudet students are one of them.

Actually, the answer would be "no", because the Deaf are not attempting to make hearing culture obsolete, nor are they taking measures to force the hearing to live as Deaf. They are simply demanding the right to support thier own culture and to live their lives as Deaf. To support the survival of one's own culture is not ethnocentrism. To attempt to force one's own culture on a different cultural group to the extent that one attempts to make the other culture nonexistent based on the idea that one's own culture is superior is ethnocentrism. The Deaf are practicing the concept of multiculturalism, not ethnocentrism.

I believe that we can have a deaf or hearing baby but designing for a deaf baby is not that bad, because we are so use to being deaf and want to have deaf child or children to communicate and understand what is like to be deaf. If the hearing child or children is born to the deaf parents, the hearing child would not be able to understand what is like to be deaf. Sure, they can communicate with signs, but they just don't understand why they have deaf parent or parents. It is confusing to them. Beside it is a free society and should use wisely and make the right choice to have a deaf baby or just be natural having either a deaf or hearing child.

You really think that kids understand their parents? Kids really do not have a choice of parents I am afraid. Kids now days are finding their environments confusing this days.

I think if hearies can choose embryos based on whether they carry a hearing or deaf gene (as in, if they can choose hearing over deaf) then we should be able to choose deaf over hearing.

This same article came up in a different forum (livejournal) the other day and I thought the contrast between what D/deaf people feel about the issue and how hearing people see the issue was interesting/eye opening/partly sickening. Here is the link wtf_inc: Deaf demand right to designer deaf children The comments might make you mad-- they did me!-- but I think it's helpful to know what thinking is out there so we can combat it.

Interesting comments but the one that made me sick was that person who said "Dont breed more weak..that is like ant-evoluting." Geez! That was an ignorance comment at its best!

Gallaudet students arent trying to make heairng people more like deaf..just want hearing people respect how they want to live their lives as deaf people. I dont see anything wrong with that. Why should we live our lives like hearing people all the way?

jillio said:
I agree that genetic maniipulation of any sort is a scary concept. But I think the issue is, if hearing parents have the choice of embryo selection, then deaf parents should have the choice of embryo selection, as well. I have to support their right to choose, if that is their desire.
What happened to the child’s choice? Isn’t that the basis behind the whole anti-CI for children theory? How is that theory not applicable here?

Babyblue said:
Hey who knows maybe the baby will come out with Four good ears.
LMAO you’re such a dork! (said lovingly, of course)

What happened to the child’s choice? Isn’t that the basis behind the whole anti-CI for children theory? How is that theory not applicable here?

Child's choice? Either the child is chosen to be born or not. If the child has the deaf gene, then the child will never come to existence so no opportunity for choices, right? I think that is really unfortunate.

There's always happening first before making choices. Choices help you to know what you are going to do next after " happening " happens.

You are right, Shel90 - I agree with you. :)

Until one exists, one cannot exercise choice.

So, the parents of a deaf child didn't chose for them to be deaf, but they do have the choice to implant....what's the difference? I just don't think we need to be playing God here.

lovingly! Eve... My dear, 4 good ears! who knows?

Well, what if the child with the deaf gene later on in life chooses be implanted or begs the parents for Hearing devices, so they can hear. Would the Deaf parents allow that child to make a choice then?? I doubt it... due to if they are determine to have a deaf baby they will want to keep that baby deaf regardless.... so I believe the child will not have a choice. Child doesn't have a chance to even have a choice before it is even born.. I am blessed to have hearing kids and I do not wish deafness on any child.

Back