Deaf Cultures Class

MattMLeonard

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am currently enrolled in a Deaf Cultures class at Columbia College Chicago. I have a project to interview a Deaf person. Would anyone be willing to do an online interview with me? I unfortunately only know how to sign my name and that is about it. So there would need to be an interpreter of some sort. I would appreciate any help anyone is willing to lend me and I appreciate the time you took to read this.

Sincerely,
Matt
Email Address Matthew.Leonard@loop.colum.edu

I'm pretty tired of doing interviews like this for nothing. I happen to be in Chicago area not far from Columbia. I will be willing to interview you in person if you send someone to buy a bike from me or if you can buy a lunch or dinner for me. People here know what a nice person I am, but I am tired of doing similar questions again and again. I would like to be compensated somehow.

I'm pretty tired of doing interviews like this for nothing. I happen to be in Chicago area not far from Columbia. I will be willing to interview you in person if you send someone to buy a bike from me or if you can buy a lunch or dinner for me. People here know what a nice person I am, but I am tired of doing similar questions again and again. I would like to be compensated somehow.

that would be a reasonable answer. :aw:

Hello Everyone.

I am currently enrolled in a Deaf Cultures class at Columbia College Chicago. I have a project to interview a Deaf person. Would anyone be willing to do an online interview with me? I unfortunately only know how to sign my name and that is about it. So there would need to be an interpreter of some sort. I would appreciate any help anyone is willing to lend me and I appreciate the time you took to read this.

Sincerely,
Matt
Email Address Matthew.Leonard@loop.colum.edu

Have you read the whole forum? just wonder.

That's a cool idea. Even the time share sales people provide a free lunch with their pitch. If anyone wanting an interview with a deaf subject would provide a nice lunch (not fast food) it might be worth it. :giggle:

That's a cool idea. Even the time share sales people provide a free lunch with their pitch. If anyone wanting an interview with a deaf subject would provide a nice lunch (not fast food) it might be worth it. :giggle:

Yeah :). I won't mind if they used coupon as long as I get a nice meal out of it.

An online interview over Skype or something is all that I am requesting. I am not asking to meet up. I do not unfortunately have the time to meet in person as I have a ton of previous obligations. Yes the questions are basic questions about what is like to be Deaf and grow up Deaf in a hearing Culture. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes I would imagine. I appreciate anyones help. Dereksbicycles are you able to do an online interview? I am not familiar with the Deaf community is there a way to do Skype call with an interpreter?

Tell your teacher you don't have time to do in-person and ask why s/he wants you to do this? S/he hearing?

My teacher is Deaf and the project is to meet in person if possible however like I said it is not possible for me to meet in person. The project was just to talk to someone outside the school that is Deaf. I can not buy a bike and I don't know anyone that needs a bike everyone in Chicago I know rides the CTA or drives or like me is a college student and doesn't have the money to buy a bike. I am an expectant father and like I said I have prior commitments so I can't meet in person.

Just my two cents (as a graduate of an ITP).

If you don't have time to meet with deaf people now, you will probably never have enough time to meet with deaf people.

Maybe you should rethink your ASL educational goals.

p.s.
Has it occurred to you that deaf people's time is also limited and valuable?

Just sayin'.

Just my two cents (as a graduate of an ITP).

If you don't have time to meet with deaf people now, you will probably never have enough time to meet with deaf people.

Maybe you should rethink your ASL educational goals.

p.s.
Has it occurred to you that deaf people's time is also limited and valuable?

Just sayin'.

I was going to say that one but you said it well. True.

how did you find this forum?

I was going to say that one but you said it well. True.

how did you find this forum?
Moi? I've been here since 2004, so it's hard for me to remember. :giggle:

I think I just searched the internet for "deaf forum". I found a few, checked out the kinds of threads and posts that were available, and picked AD as the one that seemed to be the most varied and informative.

I had been a member of one other deaf forum prior but it kind of faded away.

Also, AD's format is more user friendly. Very easy to navigate.

Moi? I've been here since 2004, so it's hard for me to remember. :giggle:

I think I just searched the internet for "deaf forum". I found a few, checked out the kinds of threads and posts that were available, and picked AD as the one that seemed to be the most varied and informative.

I had been a member of one other deaf forum prior but it kind of faded away.

Also, AD's format is more user friendly. Very easy to navigate.

Oopies not to you. i mean for OP how did OP find this forum. of course you have been here for YEARS .. :giggle:

I am taking one ASL course I am not majoring in ASL. I found this forum by doing an internet search for Deaf Forums. I really didn't think that I would encounter this much resistance. I just wanted a couple of questions answered for my class.

To all who are concerned,

I am just trying to do a homework assignment and get the questions answered. I understand that it might be annoying to answer the same questions again and again. If you don't want to answer then don't respond to the forum question. Is all that I was asking for was 15 minutes of someone's time who wanted to talk about their life story. If someone asked me about my life story I would tell them. I am sorry that none of you were able or willing to help me out with this project I have for my class. Thank you all for not helping you have given me a great insight into the Deaf Community.

To all who are concerned,

I am just trying to do a homework assignment and get the questions answered. I understand that it might be annoying to answer the same questions again and again. If you don't want to answer then don't respond to the forum question. Is all that I was asking for was 15 minutes of someone's time who wanted to talk about their life story. If someone asked me about my life story I would tell them. I am sorry that none of you were able or willing to help me out with this project I have for my class. Thank you all for not helping you have given me a great insight into the Deaf Community.
There might be some at AD willing to help who didn't read your request. Not every member reads every thread. The title of the thread maybe didn't catch their interest.

Sorry, I can't help you because I'm not deaf.

Back