Deaf Cops?

HelloNurse

Reaction score
I know there were a few threads about this before but they were a few years old so i thought i would start a new one..

so i know it can be done, ive seen that there are a few deaf police officers. does anyone know if they allow deaf people to become cops in Pennsylvania in particular?

i know someone who is deaf and he told me he wants to be a police officer but he doesnt think he will be able to because he is deaf. he said he tried to join the task force after he graduated hs, and they told him he is not able to...

if anyone has any info let me know! :ty:

Apparently not in PA at this time.

Discriminating against the Deaf - WeAreCentralPA.com

The State Police runs the Officer Training Academy which certifies people to become municipal officers. And Act 120 says that you can't use a hearing aid when qualifying
I know there were a few threads about this before but they were a few years old so i thought i would start a new one..

so i know it can be done, ive seen that there are a few deaf police officers. does anyone know if they allow deaf people to become cops in Pennsylvania in particular?

i know someone who is deaf and he told me he wants to be a police officer but he doesnt think he will be able to because he is deaf. he said he tried to join the task force after he graduated hs, and they told him he is not able to...

if anyone has any info let me know! :ty:

what assholes. Pennsylvania is a fail. haha.

hmm how about nj? i will research and report back.

Seems to me that with all the "overweight" cops, and those who are not heighth proportioned...(I've seen a few "short" cops...and a lot of overweight cops)...The rules are somewhat "bent"....That any HOH, even deaf, would be able to work on the police force and make a great contribution to it....Especially with crimes committed by other deafies, such as "undercover" work...And also, deaf cops being able to communicate to other deafies when necessary, (as hearing cops don't know how).

I do know of a female deafie that works at the jail, as a jailor. Her Dad is a detective, so feel some "strings" were pulled here. Perhaps in a community that has a lot of deafies, a deaf cop would make more sense!

i feel bad.. he wanted to join the marines and they wouldnt let him, and now he wants to be a cop and it seems they wont let him do that either. its bullshit if you ask me.

He can become the first deaf Mall Cop, he don't have to run to catch the thief, because they will provide segways. Easy life.

pretty sound who is deaf cops wtf huh my friends deaf! I have pretty sound cop limit! he work on tty or clean up! strictly! rule change follow!

pretty sound who is deaf cops wtf huh my friends deaf! I have pretty sound cop limit! he work on tty or clean up! strictly! rule change follow!

i dont think he wants to sit on a tty and clean up all day. he got all excited watching americas most wanted and was like i want to be a cop like that! haha

i dont see where the problem would be, because most cops have a partner, so stick him with a hearing partner.. he can talk and read lips so communication with hearing people wouldn't be too much of an issue, my only worry is that he wouldn't hear someone coming up behind him and maybe get hurt.. but if he had either a hearing partner, or a hearing K9 dog i think it would be fine. :hmm:

i like the mall cop idea.. haha, i would like to see him zooming around on a segway. lol

yeah, frankly it is a lack of trust between the hearing and hh/deaf communities. Look at it from a legal perspective, they just don't want to risk anyone getting unnecessarily hurt if it could have been avoided. Gunshots, people screaming, noises and that kind of stuff is not in favor of our deaf friends who want to do vice and patrol.

I don't think he should give up his motivation to work with law enforcement though. There are other sectors in them that do not require hearing screening. Most directly laboratory & science analysis (Think CSI), profiling, investigations through IT, things like that. The sky's the limit.

...i dont see where the problem would be, because most cops have a partner, so stick him with a hearing partner...
In our area, most police officers and deputies patrol solo. There simply isn't enough manpower to pair up.

he can talk and read lips so communication with hearing people wouldn't be too much of an issue, my only worry is that he wouldn't hear someone coming up behind him and maybe get hurt...
Even when there are pairs, they don't stay glued to each other. Lip reading isn't very dependable in the various circumstances in which police work (darkness, crowds of people excitedly shouting, drunken slurs, people behind doors, radio communications, etc.) Also, they have to hear environmental sounds (scream, door slam, gun cocking, dog barking), not just speech.

...I don't think he should give up his motivation to work with law enforcement though. There are other sectors in them that do not require hearing screening. Most directly laboratory & science analysis (Think CSI), profiling, investigations through IT, things like that. The sky's the limit.
True. Not all police work is done on the streets.

This is really interesting, because I am from Pennsylvania too. I was wondering the same thing the other day because I will most likely work in law enforcement someday. Not as a cop though, but probably as a computer forensics investigator or whatever position that my minor in Criminal Justice will let me qualify for.

i dont think he wants to sit on a tty and clean up all day. he got all excited watching americas most wanted and was like i want to be a cop like that! haha

i dont see where the problem would be, because most cops have a partner, so stick him with a hearing partner.. he can talk and read lips so communication with hearing people wouldn't be too much of an issue, my only worry is that he wouldn't hear someone coming up behind him and maybe get hurt.. but if he had either a hearing partner, or a hearing K9 dog i think it would be fine. :hmm:

i like the mall cop idea.. haha, i would like to see him zooming around on a segway. lol

lol he told me cop I am puzzled on consider limit cop full time not allow car not sure :hmm:

I check it research find let know you deep! btw : soon figure think

A kid? Damn!

At least, the kid knows his father was a good cop.

Eh... Long story.

He has a daughter, but barely saw her since he was not with her mother anymore. He was trying to reconcile with his daughter at the time of his death.

That's what I heard... A bunch of my friends actually knew him.

Eh... Long story.

He has a daughter, but barely saw her since he was not with her mother anymore. He was trying to reconcile with his daughter at the time of his death.

That's what I heard... A bunch of my friends actually knew him.
Oh I see.

Back